Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 31 11 2:55 AM

Tags : : , ,

Hey everybody,

I've been meaning to do this since about Friday as I found an awesome new way to legally purchase Japanese music ON THE REASONABLY PRICED! You heard me, the reasonably priced.

For quite a few years, or whenever Apple opened up the Japanese iTunes Store, it has been a great way to preview new Japanese music - or if you either had a Japanese credit card or somehow acquired a Japanese iTunes Gift card, it was a great way to legally acquire JPOP. If pristine CD Quality isn't an issue and you want to hear a new single in full the day of its release instead of being a slave to a generous uploader (that STILL might not upload it in perfect quality), then iTunes Japan in theory should be the perfect option for you.

My only gripe throughout the years has been that the outlets that sold iTunes JP giftcards marked the prices up SO high that I could never buy them in good conscious without knowing that I was pissing away money. I mean, seriously - $30 for a 1500yen card? That makes me want to just head over to Neowing or YesAsia and just deal with the shipping wait. I definitely understand the need to make a little bit of a profit, but certain sites are out of their minds...

Good thing JAPAN-CODES is not one of those sites! I was lucky enough to find this site by chance via a google search on iTunes Japan codes, and after both contacting their support as well as utilizing them for my recently created iTunes Japan account, I must give them rave reviews and tell you guys about them. They do exactly as they say - as soon as your payment is processed via paypal, you get your iTunes Japan code IMMEDIATELY. Once you get that code, you put it into your iTunes Japan account and it's off to getting that new single you've been waiting for your favorite artist to release. No more dealing with FileSonic/serve/mega/rapid/share/upload. No more annoying passwords you have to guess and forum privileges. In fact - if you're really hardcore and you need that new single on the day of it's release, no more waiting on 3rd party websites to have your new single delivered!

Now I know, I know...this certainly doesn't kill the "want" for having a physical copy, both if you are a hardcore fan and if you are an audiophile; but for the common person, having an iTunes Japan account is a great supplement to buying a physical release. It is also a VERY nice option if you own an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad and there are some iTunes Japan exclusive apps that you might want to purchase! Give it a try, as I know I have plans on using them again in the very near future.

Last Edited By: spirit9 Aug 31 11 2:59 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Oricon

#1 post_url

Aug 31 11 10:36 AM

So even if I already have a UK iTunes account, all I have to do is go on the Japan iTunes and register an account, pay Japan-Codes for Japan iTunes Gift Cards for the normal price and then attach the codes to my Japan iTunes and then I can legally buy music off iTunes? Or am I missing something...?

If so, this is a great way to buy music that gets released weeks before the official physical copy goes on store! Thanks!

Quote    Reply   

#3 post_url

Aug 31 11 6:37 PM

Oricon wrote:
So even if I already have a UK iTunes account, all I have to do is go on the Japan iTunes and register an account, pay Japan-Codes for Japan iTunes Gift Cards for the normal price and then attach the codes to my Japan iTunes and then I can legally buy music off iTunes? Or am I missing something...?

You're missing nothing. In fact, here's a little trick: open up the iTunes Japan store, go to the apps section, and try to download a free app. It'll ask you to register your account, in which all you need is a working e-mail and ANY Japanese address. To get you started, here is the address to my old University:

2-8-12 Minami Azabu 
Minato-ku, Tokyo 
106-0047

I already forgot if it asks for a phone number, but if it does, use this - 0120-86-1026. Once you confirm your e-mail address, your iTunes Japan account is active whether you have a giftcard or not. You won't be able to download anything UNTIL you enter in a gift code or have a JP credit card, but at least you will see that your account works.

@manrush - no "catch". The site is simply just a middleman for someone getting a Japanese gift cards, and all transactions are done via paypal. They also do PSN and XBox Live cards for their respective Japanese stores, but I brought up iTunes since we're a music site first.

I wouldn't have brought this up if I didn't think this were good or if there were some ulterior motives, but this is a pretty straight forward site - and as I mentioned, I received my code as soon as my payment processed which was a matter of seconds.

I don't know how iTunes Japan operates as far as new releases goes, but if they are anything like physical stores in Japan, imagine being able to hear your favorite single Monday night (Tuesday, Japan time, when most new releases appear in stores) instead of waiting for either the postman or for an uploader. It's pretty cool, IMO.

Quote    Reply   

Oricon

#4 post_url

Aug 31 11 9:26 PM

Thanks, I will check it out sometime once a new release is coming out.

Good thing about iTunes Japan is that some singles by artists are only released digitally (I had to wait a week and a bit for YUZU's LOVE & PEACH to come online....) and the Japanese public are slow to upload it to the internet, with this method I can download it instantly. Also some artists do release their lead song from their single digitally first (KARA is an example) before physically so this is another bonus

Quote    Reply   

#6 post_url

Sep 1 11 7:44 PM

Wow, I think I love you now.

It's the first time I see reasonable prices for iTunes gift cards from Japan. I will try later this page. Thank you a lot!

Quote    Reply   

#8 post_url

Sep 2 11 10:13 PM

manrush wrote:
An additional question: is there a bill involved at all?

From whom? Payments processed via paypal is just like using your credit card anywhere; Japan-Codes doesn't keep any information on file. Once you make your payment, paypal sends you a receipt and Japan-Codes sends the Gift Card code.

With iTunes Japan, entering in a gift code works just like any iTunes store if you are familiar with that - once the code is put in, it creates a balance for you that it will always show once you open up the iTunes store. It's like a debit card in that once you enter in the card code, it creates a balance for you that you can use up or add to if you end up getting another gift card. So for example, if you buy a 1000yen card, that is credited to your iTunes Japan account. If you're down to 400yen after purchasing a few songs and you later enter in a gift card code for 3000yen, then your account will display a credit of 3400yen and so forth.

So no billing at all with either party. Putting in an address (and as I gave, a dummy address) just tells iTunes that you "live" in the country; but don't even worry about that because iTunes/Apple will NEVER send snail mail to any address. iTunes Japan also doesn't accept non Japanese credit cards, so you'll never have to worry about that either. For us overseas users, our concern will only be having an address to input and the giftcard code itself.

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

Sep 2 11 10:24 PM

I want to use this separate post to make something clear about iTunes Japan: it uses .m4p - meaning that it is still DRMed. Not a problem if you use Apple products like an iPod or an iPhone, but you will have to work around it if you use another mp3 player OR want to be the first to leak a single/album or whatever.

The DRM'd .m4p files are 128kbps, which is roughly a 160kbps MP3 in terms of its equivalent. To work around the DRM, you'll have to burn the files as an audio CD and then re-rip it (I recommend re-ripping at 160kbps mp3). There is a slight quality degradation as it will be a second generation file, but it is VERY unnoticeable to the ear when compared to the original file unless you listen with a profession sound setup - meaning that it is good enough for the average listener.

As I originally mentioned, it's not 320kbps and might not be preferable if you listen to classical scores and SOME rock depending on what artist/group we are talking about, but for general J-Pop, R&B, and Hip-Hop (you know, EXILE, AKB, etc.) the sound quality should be of good standard for most people.

Quote    Reply   

nanakopy87

JPC Admin

#10 post_url

Sep 2 11 11:43 PM

the songs are still playable in itunes right?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

seca

#11 post_url

Sep 3 11 12:03 AM

^

Yes. I've been using Japanese iTunes gift cards for years and have never had the problem of them not playing on any of the devices I have used (iTunes and various iPods).

Quote    Reply   

nanakopy87

JPC Admin

#12 post_url

Sep 3 11 12:21 AM

thanks!i think i should buy the songs instead of download it from free source (at least i think i'm supporting the artists i like but i can't afford to buy the physical CD )

Quote    Reply   

strawberrie

#16 post_url

Oct 30 11 2:31 PM

Thanks, I only had ¥50 left since I last been to Japan ( which is like almost going on two years now) and jpopmp3s has been shut down indefinitely.

Quote    Reply   

seca

#18 post_url

Nov 3 11 11:40 PM

I've never had to call to make a purchase through them. You just pay with Paypal as you do any other purchase.

Quote    Reply   

#20 post_url

Nov 10 11 12:18 PM

Just to add another testimonial to the list, it worked perfect for me too. The one I ordered was actually out of stock but hadn't been updated so I just bought the next one up and they sorted the difference. Really quick to help and very nice too!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help