Remove this ad

Lead

May 18 11 7:34 PM

Tags : :

JPOP vs. KPOP thread

So it can be discussed here and not other places (i.e: Oricon Thread) smiley: mad

smiley: happy I like JPOP.

Also some KPOP but usually the ones that catch my attention are those who sing in Japanese.

JPOP vs KPOP (Result)

Last Edited By: unkowwn Nov 14 11 4:06 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 post_url

May 18 11 7:41 PM

I'm more partial to J-pop, since less of it all sounds the same.

All I'm saying is that K-pop needs to move beyond girl groups and boy groups and show a lot more variation.

Quote    Reply   

seca

#7 post_url

May 18 11 7:48 PM

Posting my rant about the latest K-pop argument in the Oricon Thread I originally posted elsewhere:

To start off I don't hate K-pop or anything, in fact I enjoy a few groups and have no plans to stop listening to them or any other K-pop music that may catch my interest in the future.

My problem are the stans that refuse to shut up how great K-pop is and how other music isn't as great as it if they don't sell as well as some random K-pop idol group.

I mean first off sales do not equal quality, I think just about any rational person will agree with that. Then taste is subjective so not everyone is going to love what you love so there will be people that honestly will not like K-pop no matter what just as there are people who will never like any kind of music you can imagine no matter how good it is on a technical level. And it is perfectly okay for them to have this opinion if it is a matter of taste and nothing more.

Also there are indeed plenty of Japanese artists that are outselling K-pop artists on the Oricon thread (check the damn yearly charts and notice how few K-pop releases there are on there compared to Japanese acts), so there's no damn reason to act like K-pop has somehow become superior to J-pop in Japan just because more acts can get a #1 weekly single, especially if they rarely sell well past that first week. I mean how often do you hear people saying how much greater Hispanic music is to U.S. music because there are a few Hispanic artists that can chart well on the charts?

I have no problem admitting that K-pop is in a boom period right now in Japan but saying that K-pop artists are bigger than J-pop artists, especially long term Japanese artists that are also active and quite successful in other media forms like fashion, CMs, dramas and etc... is ridiculous. Ayumi and Utada may not sell as much as they used to but you can bet that the average Japanese person will know who they are until the recent K-pop acts coming over. And then there's the older Johnny's groups that may not sell much anymore but are still massively popular because they do so much more, like host variety programs, star in dramas/movies/stage shows, etc... Seriously, unless you are in Japan and can confirm it by talking to people there you cannot make those kinds of popularity claims as the sales chart can only give you so much of the picture.

So yea, I prefer J-pop to K-pop but I like some K-pop. But honestly J-pop will always win because it has J-rock and I actually understand some Japanese so I can understand some lyrics.

Quote    Reply   

Oricon

#8 post_url

May 18 11 7:59 PM

I prefer K-Pop more because I love generic songs and catchy hooks. Japanese songs seems to miss catchy hooks (i've tried so hard searching through JE groups like Arashi/NEWS/Kat-Tun and I found literally 0 catchy songs in it. On the other hand I went to AKB48 sister groups and I love SDN48 because it has this catchy sound in them but SKE48 didn't grab my attention. Tomomi from AKB48 has catchy songs.) and literally only the J-Pop divas catch my attention a lot (Ayu is losing attention because her songs aren't even hooky and Hikki, nevermind about her lol) and Perfume who has catchy hooks and beats.

So.... yeah that's why I prefer K-Pop more. Oh and imagery plays a major part as I find the celebs from Korea prettier than the ones in Japan

Quote    Reply   

ChronicleV

#9 post_url

May 18 11 9:03 PM

J-Pop by far.

K-Pop is way too shallow for my liking. It's the same thing over and over again.

But I love SNSD, lol.

Quote    Reply   

#10 post_url

May 18 11 9:07 PM

K-Pop isn't bad, but 99% of it is all exactly the same style and everything, all sung by extremely similar people. They are the epitome of generic. Which, even say that it gets boring, that wouldn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, except for the fact that it's mostly low quality music, honestly (catchy, 'fierce'/'hot' tunes that are meant to be enjoyed and remembered right away, but get terribly old, terribly fast because of the focus on being catchy, rather than, say, the lyrics or arrangement). Also, personally, I hate the way the average K-Pop singer acts, especially the females. (I really despise the girls who constantly have to act as though they're hot shit, especially when they really aren't anything special, lol. This is a main reason that I have a really hard time following U.S acts, too. >_<) It doesn't help that synthpop and dance tunes aren't my thing.

Having said all that [lol], K-Pop is fun to listen to every now and then. As far as the typical groups go, I think that 4minute is by far the best, and I've chosen them to get my generic dance fix, hah. (Hyuna's solo project has so much potential, too.) I also have decided to follow Navi, because....well, she just stands out to me. ^^ C.N.Blue is my Korean boy band obsession - their first album is so fucking great. I wish that they'd do more in Japan. *_* Oh, and Outsider is definitely one of the best artists (and really, one of the few people who can actually be considered an "artist" in Korea, lol) in K-Pop. Love him so much. Was so sad to hear about him being drafted. ;_;

But yeah. If I want good arrangements, quality lyrics, unique artists, or variety - which I almost always do, of course - I go for my J-Pop.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mariners07

#14 post_url

May 18 11 9:49 PM

manrush wrote:
All I'm saying is that K-pop needs to move beyond girl groups and boy groups and show a lot more variation.

I agree with this. I mean I'm not too familiar with the Kpop scene so I don't know what is exactly out there but from what I've seen I don't see much variation compared to J-music scene.
I mean I don't hate Kpop I recently started to listen to some Big Bang/GD+TOP/Taeyang...but I don't really see myself checking out any other groups or artist besides these guys right now. Plus what seca said about the stans I agree with all of that.

So yea Jpop for me.

Quote    Reply   

journey

#15 post_url

May 18 11 10:03 PM

I cannot believe the Korean media is claiming that 2PM sold 73,000 copies of "Take Off" in their first day. they're #4, yet that's more than the single at #1.

Quote    Reply   

#17 post_url

May 18 11 10:08 PM

mariners07 wrote:
manrush wrote:

I agree with this. I mean I'm not too familiar with the Kpop scene so I don't know what is exactly out there but from what I've seen I don't see much variation compared to J-music scene.
I mean I don't hate Kpop I recently started to listen to some Big Bang/GD+TOP/Taeyang...but I don't really see myself checking out any other groups or artist besides these guys right now. Plus what seca said about the stans I agree with all of that.

So yea Jpop for me.
I picked Jpop as well, but the general sense about Kpop from here baffles me. The thing about categorizing pop music is that there are always these fads and they change. A number of genres make up "POP" as in "KPOP" or "JPOP" etc., but there are a number of Korean artists that are popular and are not of this general "boy/girl-group craze". I can think of a number of soloists who are actually well-known and dabble into stuff different from the "craze". And even outside of those mainstream artists, if you look enough I'm sure you'll find some good stuff. For me, I have especially been spending more time w/ J-pop and less known artists especially, so that I can figure out ways to perfect my own music and because I actually understand what is going on in the songs, as opposed to the Korean ones where I have to find a translator (aka a korean friend smiley: roll) Although "stans" are annoying, they are annoying no matter what the specific genre/country/etc. Looking at KPOP and JPOP interactions now it is interesting to see the future growth of the Korean music industry will be within the next few years; especially considering the size of the country.

Quote    Reply   

mariners07

#18 post_url

May 18 11 10:17 PM

sin9hyaku90 wrote:
if you look enough I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.
That's my problem there lol. All I want to know is do they even have hard rock groups out there, cause if they do then hell I would give that a chance.

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#19 post_url

May 18 11 10:35 PM

manrush wrote:
I'm more partial to J-pop, since less of it all sounds the same.

QFT

Quote    Reply   

seca

#20 post_url

May 18 11 10:42 PM

mariners07 wrote:
sin9hyaku90 wrote:
if you look enough I'm sure you'll find some good stuff.
That's my problem there lol. All I want to know is do they even havehard rockgroups out there, cause if they do then hell I would give that a chance.

IIRC, most of the K-rock is indies which of course means it's not easy for those not in country to find out about it. I would really love try more K-rock than the little I've found but until then I'll be sticking with the one K-rock band I've found and liked, Cherry Filter.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help