Remove this ad

#21 post_url

May 19 11 11:08 PM

The animation, music (oh, the theme song is beautiful) and the emotive response it demands is brilliant (thanks Cel for reminding me ). I just find it a shame that the story wasn't, considering he had the material right in front of him. I really recommend reading the novel, it's a wonderful romance!

Last Edited By: victurtle May 19 11 11:10 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

ChronicleV

#22 post_url

May 20 11 11:17 PM

QuantumLeap07 wrote:
I cant believe theres no Only Yesterday or Whisper Of The Heart love here. Tsk tsk..
Just because they're not in my Top 5 doesn't mean I don't love them. ;D Whisper of the Heart is amazing. Brings so much nostalgia. Only Yesterday is good, but nowhere near as good as Whisper of the Heart. It is significantly better than Ocean Waves though.

More importantly: where is the Porco Rosso love?

Quote    Reply   

#23 post_url

May 21 11 12:18 AM

Porco Rosso is the very first film I saw in theatres.

Loved it even more when I read some theories that the pig curse he was under was more of a figurative thing than something physical on a surface level.

I haven't read Howl's, but remembered thinking that the film had potential. But in the end, lots of things just didn't click together or concepts were introduced but left unanswered/unexplored, which was pretty disappointing.

Last Edited By: ligature May 21 11 12:24 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#24 post_url

May 21 11 1:20 AM

I love the scene on the beach where Rosso starts to reveal his past and starts to look more and more human. I had wondered whether Porco only looked like a Pig from Fio's perspective.

Quote    Reply   

#25 post_url

May 21 11 2:37 AM

I've actually only seen Howl's once, but I didn't like it. As seems to be the consensus, the animation was extremely beautiful and the score brilliant as usual, but it lacked in the story department. It was boring, slow, and a mess. I do think I should give it a another shot or two though.

I would have liked to see Hosoda's version though. Although I don't think he is too close to matching the brilliance of Miyazaki's peak years, I think I would give him the edge when comparing their more current works (i.e. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars vs. Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo).

Oh, and was the Porco Rosso sequel rumor ever dubunked? Or is it still floating around? Either way, it had the perfect ending, and a sequel would definitely ruin it.

Quote    Reply   

#26 post_url

May 21 11 9:56 AM

Ahhh, i've never seen Pom Poko or Porco Rosso. Ocean Waves either.. is it worth watching? Netflix has a majority of them so I've been working my way through the ones I havent seen.

Quote    Reply   

#27 post_url

May 21 11 10:31 AM

Pom Poko is definitely worth watching! It's so epic a movie, full of emotions. Just make sure you watch it in Japanese because the English dubs tries to censor certain things which just don't make sense x)

I saw the other day the Porco Rosso film even had a subtitle, so I guess it's developed into more than a rumor.

Quote    Reply   

#28 post_url

Jun 5 11 3:21 AM

I just watched Nausicaa, since i bought the Blu-ray released by Disney a couple weeks back. (I would buy the JP release, but the price is just soo much more than the NA release, so I think I might just collect the Ghibli Blu-rays through the releases by Disney.)

I actually don't think I've seen this film since the 90s! F6c2644685b854938fd9edcf70ab67ce9a48e93e_r It's been loong time.

I've heard that Disney's English dubs are pretty good, so I might try checking it out one of these days.

Anyway, great film. I've never read the manga, but my friend has it, so I think it's time to read it.

Quote    Reply   

#29 post_url

Jun 5 11 4:24 AM

The film covers only a fifth of the original story in the manga. It's one of the best things I've ever read (among both comic books and novels) and the last volume of Nausicaä is simply devastating.

Quote    Reply   

ChronicleV

#30 post_url

Jun 5 11 6:47 PM

^ The whole series is quite devastating, haha. I still cry when I read volumes 3 and 4. Kushana is such an amazing character.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 post_url

Jun 6 11 12:56 AM

Yeah, Kushana is brilliant in the manga. For me the highlight of the entire manga is the epic discussion Nausicaä has in the climax of the last volume. Miyazaki was truly at his best when he finished the series.

Quote    Reply   

#32 post_url

Jun 15 11 11:20 PM

Arrietty BD/DVD out tomorrow.
and Teshima Aoi has a new "Kashuu" album coming out next month for Kokuriko-zaka kara (From Coquelicot/Poppy Hill).
exciting!

Quote    Reply   

zeopower6

#34 post_url

Jul 24 11 1:33 AM

Ouch.... Kokuriko debuted at #3 under Pokemon. Haripota was obviously the #1 for the week, but eh.... it was probably the double feature that helped Pokemon. :/

Quote    Reply   

#35 post_url

Jul 24 11 2:28 AM

Well, while Ghibli does consistently really well at the box office, only the ones that are actually directed by Miyazaki are the guaranteed huge blockbusters. Whereas the Miyazaki films are pretty much guaranteed #1 of the year (at worst top 3 if there are some other really huge movies), the rest are usually more of a top-10-of-the-year sized hit. Plus, the Pokemon movies have been doing consistently really well lately anyway, even without having the double feature. So I wouldn't really say 'ouch.'

While reaction is mixed (as usual for Ghibli lately, even including Miyazaki-directed films), I seem to be hearing a lot about how it's quite a bit better than Gedo. The trailer interests me, I'll probably check it out when it hits video.

Quote    Reply   

zeopower6

#36 post_url

Jul 24 11 7:39 AM

I guess it just seems really weird to me that a Ghibli film didn't really perform that well... though it's probably also due to the situation being exaggerated by news sources reporting about the box office numbers...

Pretty good ratings though! 

Last Edited By: zeopower6 Jul 24 11 7:44 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#38 post_url

Nov 15 11 9:53 AM

Seeing Arrietty in a film festival on the 4th of Dec! Excited that FOR ONCE I'm actually seeing an "anime" film in a theater - albeit not the usual big name theaters

Quote    Reply   

#39 post_url

Dec 2 11 3:10 AM

Just got an email from the Australian Centre of Moving Images that they will be showing Arrietty in a Japanese film festival, but there's only one session and it's already been sold out! Damn.

Quote    Reply   

zeopower6

#40 post_url

Dec 4 11 12:30 AM

Grave of the Fireflies got relicensed in the states! :3

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help