Remove this ad

zeopower6

Lead

May 14 11 9:42 AM

Tags : : , , , ,

Ahh, main voices were announced for the new movie! Junichi Okada from V6 is gonna be a part of it, haha~

wgB5t.jpg

Studio Ghibli has announced its voice cast for its new feature film “Kokurikozaka Kara,” scheduled to open in theaters on July 16. Nagasawa Masami (23) has been cast as the main character, and V6 member Okada Junichi (30) has been cast as the main male character.

The movie is the second film directed by Miyazaki Hayao’s son Goro, who debuted with “Gedo Senki” (“Tales from Earthsea”). As reported last year, the movie is adapted from a shoujo manga of the same name by Takahashi Chizuru and Sayama Tetsuro.

The story takes place in 1963 Yokohama, where the Komatsuzaki family runs an old lodging house. Nagasawa will voice Komatsuzaki Umi, the family’s daughter. The film revolves around her everyday life at high school, particularly with another student named Kazama Shun (played by Okada), in whom she takes an interest.

Other characters are being voiced by Fubuki Jun (58), Takeshita Keiko (57), Naito Takashi (55), Kagawa Teruyuki (45), Ishida Yuriko (41), Omori Nao (39), and Kazama Shunsuke (27).

Yay for the rebirth of the Ghibli thread.

Last Edited By: zeopower6 Mar 13 14 9:44 PM. Edited 6 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 post_url

May 14 11 8:49 PM

I just want anything new from Ghibli! Their works have (almost) always been masterpieces I thoroughly enjoy...

I also wonder if Borrower Arietty is available in DVD...

Quote    Reply   

ChronicleV

#3 post_url

May 14 11 11:16 PM

Yay, Ghibli thread! What are your top 5 Ghibli films, everyone?

My Top 5:

1. Princess Mononke
2. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
3. Nausicaa
4. Kiki's Delivery Service
5. Spirited Away

Ffffuuu, so hard to pick only 5. Almost all of them are masterpieces, agreed.

Nausicaa used to be my all time favourite until I read the manga. If you haven't read it, do it nowwww! The movie does not do it justice. The movie does not do Kushana justice!

Quote    Reply   

zeopower6

#4 post_url

May 14 11 11:27 PM

1. Kiki's Delivery Service
2. Spirited Away
3. The Cat Returns
4. Princess Mononoke
5. Ponyo

Castle in the Sky was looooooooong imo. I need to rewatch it but I keep falling asleep some time after he meets Sheeta, LOL. I still haven't seen a lot of classics in full like Nausicaa/Totoro FFFFFFFFU.

They're all good really, except I don't know about Porco Rosso... DUNNO.

Quote    Reply   

#5 post_url

May 15 11 2:52 AM

My all time favourite is Princess Mononoke... That film is worthy of Oscar IMO! Great storytelling, meaningful message, breathtaking animation (for the time, but still even now) and music...

I actually quite like Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and his earlier films (some of which I need to rewatch since it was a long time ago). Ponyo is unfortunately one of Ghibli works I don't quite enjoy, mainly due to the messy story (or lack of one) but I understand it's meant for children...

Quote    Reply   

#6 post_url

May 15 11 3:37 AM

Yay for the revival of the Studio Ghibli thread! Now, the Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Animation Studios threads need to be revived too, lol.

By the way, I wonder why Arrietty is getting such a late release date in the U.S.? It doesn't come out until February 2012! As far as I know, all other regions getting a theatrical release of the film will be getting it by this July...

As for the upcoming Goro film, I'm also not too sure about it, but I'll be cautiously optimistic.

It seems that Ghibli is having a hard time developing new directing talent, as none of the newer ones seem to be able to live up to Miyazaki and Takahata. It's a shame that Kondo Yoshifumi passed away so young, as I think he had the potential to become Ghibli's next great director.

Quote    Reply   

#7 post_url

May 15 11 5:31 AM

^Ugh that's horribly late... (them dubbers better do a marvelous job -__-) Seems that I might pick a copy up from CDJapan because it seems that the DVD is out this coming June...

Quote    Reply   

#8 post_url

May 16 11 3:12 PM

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Kiki's Delivery Service
3. Spirited Away
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. My Neighbor Totoro

Princess Mononoke is just beautiful, I have yet to find an animated film that has left such a strong impression on me. The music for it is my favorite as well out of all the Studio Ghibli films I've seen.

Quote    Reply   

zeopower6

#10 post_url

May 16 11 8:54 PM

Sadly, it can't be in my top 5 if I haven't seen it yet D;

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 post_url

May 16 11 10:46 PM

I haven't been that impressed with their recent works, and a couple of the ones from the mid-90s I just don't really feel like wanting to see it a 2nd time. But Ponyo was just difficult to watch with the lead character being so unlikeable, despite it being a relatively short film.

But here's my Top 5 in no particular order:
1. My Neighbour Totoro
2. Laputa: Castle In The Sky
3. Spirited Away
4. Princess Mononoke
5. Porco Rosso (love the ending song in the credits)

Waiting for more classics to come out on BD before re-watching them again.

Last Edited By: ligature May 16 11 10:49 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#12 post_url

May 17 11 1:45 AM

1. Mononoke
2. Spirited Away (partly because of the awesome image songs, like this and this)
3. Totoro
4. Howl
5. everything else

I have a feeling Arrietty will replace Howl.

Last Edited By: Tij May 17 11 1:55 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

May 18 11 12:24 AM

Excited for the new movie.

1. Totoro
2. Nausicaa
3. Kiki's
4. Spirited Away
5. Howl's

Enjoyed the scenery of Laputa, but just couldn't get into the story as much. Reminds me of an RPG though. Same with Nausicaa.

Quote    Reply   

#14 post_url

May 18 11 12:01 PM

1. Whisper of the Heart
2. Pom Poko
3. My Neighbours The Yamadas
4. Ponyo
5. The Cat Returns

The rest.

I used to LOVE Howls, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away etc... but I developed a resentment towards Miyazaki. I'll still enjoy Howls and Spirited Away if I watch it with family though.

Quote    Reply   

mariners07

#15 post_url

May 18 11 11:45 PM

No particular order

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle..

I also loved Pom Poko, The Cat Returns.

Quote    Reply   

#16 post_url

May 19 11 12:08 AM

OMG top 5 here I go

01: KiKi's Delivery Service
02: Only Yesterday
03: Spirited Away
04: Whisper Of The Heart
05: Ponyo or My Neighbor Totoro -- Stuck on this decision lol

I cant believe theres no Only Yesterday or Whisper Of The Heart love here. Tsk tsk..

Quote    Reply   

#18 post_url

May 19 11 12:53 AM

victurtle wrote:
1. Whisper of the Heart
2. Pom Poko
3. My Neighbours The Yamadas
4. Ponyo
5. The Cat Returns

The rest.

I used to LOVE Howls, Porco Rosso, Spirited Away etc... but I developed a resentment towards Miyazaki. I'll still enjoy Howls and Spirited Away if I watch it with family though.
Lol, that's a very unconventional list you got there.

And why have you come to develop a resentment toward Miyazaki? Granted, he often times comes off as a stuck-up grouch, but I don't see how that can devalue his work.

Quote    Reply   

#19 post_url

May 19 11 2:39 AM

^lol thanks.

I sort of attribute his stuck-up grouchiness to the shortcomings of Howls for a couple of reasons. First, because Hosoda Mamoru was dismissed for not being "Ghibli" enough (which doesn't make sense, why would the studio hire an outsider known for his very distinctive style, then fire him?). The fact Miyazaki came out of retirement to "fix it" suggest it was Miyazaki himself who wasn't happy. Secondly, Miyazaki's adaption was horrible. Granted, I loved the movie the first 20 times I saw it, but upon reading the book you realise all he did was animate the first 3 chapters and then stretch the film until it hit the 2 hour mark and bam, credits. The book has an absolutely amazing story, matched with Hosoda's great direction, it had so much potential.

I am bitter, but at the same time I was a big fan/support who helped spread the miyazaki love smiley: wink

Last Edited By: victurtle May 19 11 2:41 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#20 post_url

May 19 11 9:22 AM

^Oh that's sort of enlightening to know what happened behind Howl's Moving Castle...

The movie's animation is bright and the music is flawless (I consider it second best in all Miayazaki's film) but I agree that the story is messy. In fact, I had to rewatch it to actually grasp what the narration is trying to convey... Also didn't know that Miyazaki can come off as a stuck-up hehe... At least his direction in his movies sends out a positive tone of what his personality

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help