Remove this ad

#221 post_url

Apr 2 13 3:28 PM

Play-Asia is in Hong Kong, but it takes them so long to get the items in hand - I remember ordering a Japanese single and it took them 2 months for them to stock it. Play-Asia has been here for 10 years but still a relatively small company compared to YesAsia. The only time I use Play-Asia is when an item is no longer available on YesAsia.

I don't know where you guys live but here in Europe, YesAsia packages never get stuck in customs because they mark the total price as very low in the form.

Try HMV Hong Kong (www.hmv.com.hk), they're quite reliable and ship things out fast.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#225 post_url

Jun 22 13 2:13 AM

Well, N America here...

CD Japan:

Time to deliver: approximately an eon
Cost: Approximately the M1 money supply of a western nation
Quality: Perfect, CD was in mint condition.

Generally speaking, the packaging could have survived a direct hit from a North Korean missile.

Of course, said missile would have been intended to go to space and have malfunctioned & landed on my poor CD in the middle of the Pacific, but that is a topic for a different thread I'm sure.

Quote    Reply   

#226 post_url

Jun 26 13 3:04 PM

hi everybody

I'm going to visit Montreal and New York City next week.
Is there anyone who could tell me some shops where I can buy some asian stuff (CD, DVD ...)?

Thank You

Quote    Reply   

#227 post_url

Jun 27 13 12:53 PM

For NYC, Book-Off is a must. It's a used bookstore, but the items are in very good condition. They have a lot of CDs, DVDs in the $10 and up range. Personally, I spend most of my time there in their $1-$3 CD section which is mostly filled with older releases, but you can find some really good stuff there sometimes. Japanese CDs, DVDs are located near the back of the first floor.

There's also Kinokuniya, but it's pretty pricey because they're selling new items at list prices. But if there is a new release that you want, you might find it there. CDs, DVDs are on the second floor.

Both of them are located in the West side of Midtown Manhattan and are within walking distance of each other. Kinokuniya is located right across from Bryant Park and you only have to walk a few blocks from there to get to Book-Off.

Listings on Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/book-off-new-york
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kinokuniya-bookstores-new-york-2

Quote    Reply   

#228 post_url

Jun 29 13 2:01 AM

karenaihana wrote:
For NYC, Book-Off is a must. It's a used bookstore, but the items are in very good condition. They have a lot of CDs, DVDs in the $10 and up range. Personally, I spend most of my time there in their $1-$3 CD section which is mostly filled with older releases, but you can find some really good stuff there sometimes. Japanese CDs, DVDs are located near the back of the first floor.

 


I have a book-off close to me on the other side of the continent (I think they are a chain).  I didn't know they had CDs.  thx for the tip.

Quote    Reply   

#230 post_url

Jul 26 13 6:00 AM

Buyee is pretty easy to use, you basically do all the bidding yourself. However, you're going to have a hard time finding a cheap middleman (given charges like bank wire fee, shipping cost from seller to middleman, and the middleman's fee). So wherever you go, you'll be paying at least 2500-3000 yen to get the item to you (they all seem to use EMS for the most part)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#232 post_url

Jul 26 13 8:39 PM

^ Thanks for that website! Never heard of it before but seems like that might be the cheapest one I've seen by far.

Read a little about FJ points, so I guess you can buy them and that way you can dodge the 5% system fee they charge (which it looks like they charge twice according to the charge breakdown?). And it looks like you get flexibility on shipping too! I'll have to try this website out

Quote    Reply   

#233 post_url

Jul 27 13 4:30 AM

M wrote:
^ Thanks for that website! Never heard of it before but seems like that might be the cheapest one I've seen by far.

Read a little about FJ points, so I guess you can buy them and that way you can dodge the 5% system fee they charge (which it looks like they charge twice according to the charge breakdown?). And it looks like you get flexibility on shipping too! I'll have to try this website out 3d0367fa67f2b9bd4c21867d98e4cece75260863

Yeah, I normally choose the registered SAL. *cheapskate*

Quote    Reply   

#235 post_url

Sep 7 13 3:55 AM

For my previous orders, Yeasia has been efficient. 4-5 days in total after being shipped out to receive it. But I just received an email saying they're having problem sourcing MiChi's latest single, Independent GiRL/Saturday Night and I have to wait another 10 days before they're able to ship it out~ This is depressing. I mean, it's a new single! Not a million year old record.


Anybody has this problem before?

EDIT:
Yesasia just emailed me that they've shipped my order today! Yay~~smiley: roll

Last Edited By: avanpiper Sep 10 13 6:45 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#236 post_url

Oct 8 13 10:57 PM

Has anybody here ever sold off all or a part of their J-pop CD/DVD collection?  If so, how did you do it?  It seems like a daunting task...

 I'm planning on selling off all of my Koda Kumi singles (I have every single from TAKE BACK on through Love Me Back, every version including FC editions).  I fell off the wagon when it comes to collecting and I just can't motivate myself to invest more into it.

If anybody has any advice on how to go about this, please PM me. I'd greatly appreciate it! ^_^


Quote    Reply   

#237 post_url

Feb 12 14 11:34 AM

Hi guys. Do you buy from amazon.jp? Do they pack well?

I'm a bit concerned about the import fees deposit. I'm afraid that if it's not enough the courier will charge me the extra on the day of the delivery. It wouldn't be the first time here (in Italy).

Quote    Reply   

#239 post_url

Feb 13 14 7:41 AM

I would not recommend ordering from Amazon Japan (or CDJapan) if you live in Europe, there's a very high chance that you'll be charged extra fees. Instead, use YesAsia, because they route all the packages through Germany so you won't incur any additional charges (basically it makes them look like they are sent from Germany instead of Hong Kong). Also, unlike other online retailers, no matter how much you order YesAsia writes a low value for the packages sent (usually 10-20 euro) so there wouldn't be any problems.

Quote    Reply   

#240 post_url

Feb 13 14 9:56 AM

Irodori wrote:
I would not recommend ordering from Amazon Japan (or CDJapan) if you live in Europe, there's a very high chance that you'll be charged extra fees. Instead, use YesAsia, because they route all the packages through Germany so you won't incur any additional charges (basically it makes them look like they are sent from Germany instead of Hong Kong). Also, unlike other online retailers, no matter how much you order YesAsia writes a low value for the packages sent (usually 10-20 euro) so there wouldn't be any problems.
Very true indeed. Although I haven't been taxed by ordering from CDJ before, I still prefer to order from Yesasia if there's no bonus stuffs like posters that I really want (which CDJ offers but not by Yesasia). Yesasia's packaging is pretty good too, they don't use cardboard like CDJ but they usually put 3 layers of bubble wrap (more than sufficient to protect the CD/DVDs). I notice they always put US$6 on the packages too lol while CDJ puts the real amount (caused my parents to nag a bit too when they saw the price >.<) So yeah, overall with free shipping and decent delivery time (normally 3-5 days after shipment), I'd still opt for Yesasia over CDJ except if I want certain first press bonus.

Last Edited By: avanpiper Feb 13 14 9:59 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help