Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 26 11 3:56 PM

Tags : :

Popular online sellers:

Websites used to make purchases from Japanese exclusive websites (Y!AJ, Rakuten etc.) 

Feel free to mention any sites that could be added to the lists.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Pacey Bishop

~川野里奈4EVER~Site Owner

image image

#1 post_url

Apr 26 11 4:04 PM

I was wondering how many people still used YesAsia, so I'm glad this thread was revived...if you guys don't use YesAsia that much, would some type of forum/site exclusives from YesAsia make you more inclined to use them?

Asking for business purposes more than anything. I believe they do contribute to the Oricon ranking, and I know that used to be a turn off for some way back in the day, but I don't know if more people hopped on to other sites or if they would at least be open the idea of considering YesAsia again if it certainly supports the site and forum.

Quote    Reply   

infinitylight

#2 post_url

Apr 26 11 4:10 PM

^ You know, yesasia is still one of the cheapest online seller for european customers, so I think a lot of people still use it (I certainly do).
These days HMV and co just end up with taxes and all too often...
And when you do your maths, shipping fees are just killing any ordre from HMV or CDjapan...

But I was very pleased with CDjapan opening a third man business, I may try it later on

Quote    Reply   

#3 post_url

Apr 26 11 4:24 PM

^ there's not much difference btw CDJapan & Yesasia, I check time to time and it tends to be about less than en 2euros difference depending on what you want to order (shipping included for both). CDJapan tends to be slightly faster normaly, but YA has been really amazing lately, I didn't order for about 1 year from YA and I'm starting to order again from them

Could be interesting, depending on what it is exactly, but I guess it could help them get back more customers maybe?

Quote    Reply   

#4 post_url

Apr 26 11 4:51 PM

UK-wise, YesAsia are great for dodging import tax. I haven't used them for a long time though, ever since it took 3 weeks for an album to turn up. I'm exclusively using CDJapan these days, as their service is faultless - and I've been really lucky with dodging taxes recently

If YA have improved I might make another order soon though.

Quote    Reply   

#5 post_url

Apr 26 11 5:58 PM

Yup, if you're in Europe, YesAsia is really the best choice. With CDJapan, sometimes you're hit with import tax which makes things more expensive than YesAsia. I'd rather pay a bit more with YesAsia, knowing that they'll simply mark the item prices low on the package than risk paying more (if import tax is added) with CDJapan. YesAsia does indeed take longer, maybe 1-3 weeks.

Quote    Reply   

#6 post_url

Apr 26 11 6:08 PM

Does anyone know if Play-Asia is good? I live in Canada and I want to make a purchase from them. The only two places I buy from is eBay and YesAsia but I want to branch out now.

Quote    Reply   

#7 post_url

Apr 26 11 8:11 PM

Last time I used YesAsia in October last year it took them two weeks to get my CDs ready to ship, all of which were pre-orders. The actual shipping took about 9 days, so it wasn't bad; it's the stocking process that took forever. CDJapan and Amazon get their pre-orders ready to ship ahead of time so that the customers receive them as close to the release date as possible, so YesAsia seemed a bit lazy when compared to these two IMO.

One can easily dodge customs taxes and such from CDJapan as long as they pick a slower shipment method and don't order too many items at once. Marking the order as a gift can also work sometimes. Registered Mail has been an ideal choice for me so far. On the site it says that it's slower than EMS, but sometimes I've gotten my packages faster through Registered Mail than through EMS. The packages are also insured as they are with EMS. I live in Canada, so I'm always uptight about getting hit with customs fees. When I tried using CDJapan's EMS a couple of times, the post office here put customs fees on those orders both times. This stopped happening after I switched to Registered Mail.

Now when I use EMS with middle-man services and second-hand shops, I don't get customs fees either. Must be something about CDJapan's fancy packaging.

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

Apr 26 11 8:54 PM

nikala wrote:
One can easily dodge customs taxes and such from CDJapan as long as they pick a slower shipment method and don't order too many items at once. Marking the order as a gift can also work sometimes. Registered Mail has been an ideal choice for me so far. On the site it says that it's slower than EMS, but sometimes I've gotten my packages faster through Registered Mail than through EMS. The packages are also insured as they are with EMS. I live in Canada, so I'm always uptight about getting hit with customs fees. When I tried using CDJapan's EMS a couple of times, the post office here put customs fees on those orders both times. This stopped happening after I switched to Registered Mail.
Really? I'm in Canada too and I've used EMS from CDJapan a couple of times and I've never gotten customs fees. They're generally always pretty small orders of 2-3 items each time and the total amount is always clearly printed on the outside of the package so I don't know what the difference might be. The only time I ever get duty fees from CDJ is when I use FedEx, and with them it only seems to happen because they're a private courier and properly declare everything to the government to avoid getting into trouble.

I've also never gotten any fees from YesAsia but I haven't ordered from them in a long while. But I do get customs fees from HMV JP, and they also ship via EMS, so I think it's because of the invoice they provide.

Charisma wrote:
Does anyone know if Play-Asia is good? I live in Canada and I want to make a purchase from them. The only two places I buy from is eBay and YesAsia but I want to branch out now.
They're alright. Their shipping time is about the same as YesAsia and it's nice that they let you choose how you want it sent.

I'm pretty sure Play-Asia uses the same suppliers as YesAsia, though, since they're both in Hong Kong so if you're looking for an item that YA doesn't have and PA says it's available, I wouldn't count on it. Play-Asia only seems to check on availability when someone places an actual order for something. Though, you could also be pleasantly surprised sometimes as I managed to get Yu Yamada's "MYUSIC" album from PA when YA said it was unavailable.

Last Edited By: Apr 26 11 9:00 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#10 post_url

Apr 26 11 9:07 PM

^ One of my EMS orders also contained 3 items, and I still got customs fees. The second one was worse, as it had only 1 CD. Had to go to the post office the next day and pay $18 in order to get my package, and it wasn't even a large one. That was in March 2010. Ever since then I would never use EMS with CDJapan.

I must be unlucky or something...

Last Edited By: nikala Apr 26 11 9:15 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Pacey Bishop

~川野里奈4EVER~Site Owner

image image

#11 post_url

Apr 27 11 12:25 AM

Good to know...I see that CDJapan also has an affiliate program which I'll be applying the site for. I knew YesAsia had one, but I was hoping for CDJapan as well because I knew many people (I think a lot more Americans, in fact) seem to prefer CDJapan for the faster shipping. That at least used to be my logic...as many know, using the affiliate links support the site itself, buying through our links will keep the forum itself ad free plus hopefully allow us to do more in terms of building the site itself and buying dedicated servers/etc..

Support your favorite artist, support the forum, support online Jpop...yeah, I think that will be our new tagline. haha

Quote    Reply   

Pacey Bishop

~川野里奈4EVER~Site Owner

image image

#12 post_url

Apr 27 11 2:15 PM

Not sure if anyone is making any purchases TODAY, but if you decide to do so, can you check out our affiliate links? I want to first make sure I got the affiliate link (specifically YesAsia) right, but I also want to mention that supporting us via our affiliate links when making purchases allows me to make the forum (and eventual site) better.

Check them out!

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

Apr 27 11 3:59 PM

I used Play-Asia waaay back in the day; they were alright. Actually quite nice packaging (mine always came in a small packet) but shipping time took awfully long. Ever since one of my purchases ended up in customs and I had to pay I switched to Yesasia, though.

And Yesasia is still my #1 priority. As I live in Germany I can enjoy free shipping (I always do orders in the range of $40 for it) and the time it takes to arrive here isn't too bad, either, usually between one to two weeks. And I've also never received any damaged stuff before, as they pack it appropriately in regard of the content (though, I heard some people don't have that luck?).

Recently, I tried out CDJapan and its FedEx shipping for the first time. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. It took 2 days to arrive without any issues with customs or anything. And CDJapans point-system is a nice thing, too.

Quote    Reply   

Pacey Bishop

~川野里奈4EVER~Site Owner

image image

#14 post_url

Apr 27 11 4:22 PM

Only reason why I would have generally chosen CDJapan over YesAsia was due to their speed on new releases. In most cases if I preordered something, I would have had it by either Thursday or Friday of that week. A few years back I recall getting some CDs on that Wednesday the release day. Shipping prices turned a $15/$20 single into a $30/$40 investment, but other than that, YesAsia was always good to me in terms of general price as well as on bulk orders.

Never even heard of Play-Asia until today, quite frankly. I might have seen their name here and there, but I never thought to use them.

My experience with Amazon.jp was HORRIBLE This was years ago when DHL was still a door to door delivery company in America, but I swore to never use them again after that fiasco.

Quote    Reply   

Oricon

#15 post_url

Apr 27 11 4:47 PM

Amazon Jap sucks because I ordered 2 singles and I got taxed......

Also CDJapan is more expensive than YesAsia if you choose Air Mail for me.... only cheaper if you choose SAL. I ordered my first order with CDJapan with 4 singles (4 2PM Take Off single editions) and if I get taxed i'm going to rage because after ordering, I realised it costed more than YesAsia but can't be bothered cancelling.

YesAsia is good apart from one time when it took nearly 7 weeks for an order to reach me because it was apparently lost....

Quote    Reply   

#16 post_url

Apr 27 11 5:05 PM

Amazon.jp uses FedEx now, or at least they did when I used them -- good service, but the shipping rate was higher than even CDJapan. I really like Amazon.jp's Marketplace, though, at least when you can find a seller who ships overseas.

Quote    Reply   

nanakopy87

JPC Admin

#20 post_url

Apr 27 11 9:33 PM

yes!they've changed it.i love the new system.at least i can use all my points in one shot

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help