Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 15 11 11:50 PM

Tags : :

(from left to right: HISASHI, TAKURO, TERU and JIRO)

GLAY (グレイ) is a rock/pop band from Hakodate, Hokkaidō, Japan formed by guitarist Takuro and vocalist Teru during high school in 1988. Glay primarily composes songs in the rock and pop genres, but they have also composed songs using elements of different styles such as reggae and gospel. They are one of Japan’s most popular and respected bands. As of October 2010, they have sold about 37.5 million copies. (Taken from Wikipedia)

Members

TERU (vocal)
小橋 照彦 (Kobashi Teruhiko)
Birthdate: June 8, 1971
Blood Type: O
Birthplace: Hakodate, Hokkaido  

HISASHI (guitar)
外村 尚 (Tonomura Hisashi)
Birthdate: February 2, 1972
Birthplace: Hirosaki, Aomori

TAKURO (guitar)
久保 琢郎 (Kubo Takuro)
Birthdate: May 26, 1971

JIRO (bass)
和山 義仁 (Wayama Yoshihito)
Birthdate: October 17, 1972
Blood Type: A

Studio Albums

• Hai to Diamond (灰とダイヤモンド, 1994)
  • Speed Pop (1995)
  • Beat Out! (1996)
  • Beloved (1996)
  • Pure Soul (1998)
  • Heavy Gauge (1999)
  • One Love (2001)
  • Unity Roots and Family, Away (2002)
  • The Frustrated (2004)
  • Love Is Beautiful (2007)
  • Glay (2010)

Last Edited By: babalina Apr 23 11 2:53 PM. Edited 3 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 post_url

Apr 20 11 11:18 AM

Well to give him credit, I do actually understand what he's saying despite his accent! ;)

Angel cake, are there still people at the old forum?

Quote    Reply   

#4 post_url

Apr 20 11 11:28 AM

Yeah I have the info for this band, I have just been so busy with school (finals week coming up) so I apologize for the delay.

@Angel cake: the other forum is still open but Son Goku moved us here because that way he can have total control of the forum (and thus prevent those annoying crashes from JPM).

Quote    Reply   

shodoimpulse

Change your avatar to 100x100 to regain it. 

#6 post_url

Apr 20 11 9:54 PM

Yeah, his english is fine. The way japanese people speak english is always like that, they have some accent. My lecturer (he is japanese) also speak like that but faster hehe. At first we had a hard time to understand him, but we get used to it shortly, so i can understand Takuro very well too~

Quote    Reply   

#7 post_url

Apr 20 11 10:14 PM

Yeah, despite his accent, he got everything right. I believe my original post was confusing...I didn't mean his English was bad but that it was better than I thought it would be. I was surprised he could speak this well, because I had this idea in my mind that his English was very broken at best, probably because the English in GLAY lyrics used to be like that in the past. I've heard he's been learning English

@whitedove: some people were still posting there but I think most people who used to post more often in that thread is already here.

@babalina: thank you for the information.

Quote    Reply   

shodoimpulse

#8 post_url

Apr 21 11 12:47 AM

just curious.. i didnt follow glay that much but i always listening to their music since 6-7 years ago. Just recently i look up about them in the internet, GLAY was huge back in late 90's to early 2000, they sold millions of records and easily topped the yearly chart or be inside the top 10 yearly. What happened to them that now they can't even reach 100k for their single despite the song was actually very good just like how they are in the past. i'm just curious because in the past, i sort of thinking that the representative of jpop/jrock/j music would be GLAY, B'z, Mr Children, Ayumi and Hikki. Whenever i choose any song to show to other, i would pick from those 5 legends. But now, most of them are failing except Mr Children that somehow remain consistent. But the case is i was thinking that GLAY music has never declined in term of quality and everything, it still fresh and entertaining, just somehow their sales keep on declining. Thats sad, because i think they worth more than that because they are legend for me. B'z somehow remains constant and stuck with almost similar sound and start to decline a bit, Mr Children were still able to renew themselves and made good music that is understandable why they are remain consistent in term of sales. i hope GLAY can keep up in term of sales because i am afraid that if the sales were too low for them that they will thinking of retired (Oh no no no no.....). I still want more GLAY music~ edit: yeah, the idol were dominating that steal all the sales that supposed to be GLAY's hohohohho...... just complaining a bit~ in the other hand, hope Japan recover soon and new music that is full of meaning and soul will emerged soon.

Last Edited By: shodoimpulse Apr 21 11 12:54 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

Apr 21 11 2:30 AM

Hey! I was glad to see Takuro speak in English. That shows a lot of willingness to reach out to the foreign community.
As for your questions, shodoimpulse, the sales decline has happened to a lot of artists in Japan. With more people downloading (legally and illegally) and with more internet users and mp3 players than ever before, many artists are suffering a sales decline. This does not mean that they are any lessed loved--they still have a large fanbase. And trust me--Im in Japan right now and they are still going strong. I dont think they will retire anytime soon, based on the tune of their blogs/interviews/MCs/etc. Bz, Mr.Children, Ayumi Hamasaki, Utada, GLAY and many others have been suffering a decline in sales but they are all still some of the only artists who can sell out domes, stadiums, and super arenas. Just recently, GLAY finished one of their most expensive gigs at Yokohama Nissan Stadium that brought in 150,000 fans and one of the biggest tours theyve ever had. So I would say they are going strong.

I dont like seeing all the no-talent boyscouts and idol groups get an ass-load of sales, outselling the artists that really put a lot into actually making music. Nothing wrong with liking boybands/idol groups' music, though.

GLAY has also been around for a very long time. Over 15 years as a major band and 22 years or so as an actual band. They are some of the last surviving j-rock bands from the 90's that are still big, along with groups such as Larc en Ciel and B'z. And legends Luna Sea and X-Japan are back on the scene as well, but I dont think they will get the sells they used to get. However, all of these bands are still highly respected, and that's one of the most important things, I think.

Quote    Reply   

#10 post_url

Apr 21 11 3:05 AM

What happened to them that now they can't even reach 100k for their single

That's a good question for which I think there's no "right" answer. There are some factors that could have contributed to this: some changes in their sound (it was probably the cause of their abrupt drop in 2001), changes in the interest of general listeners (rock was not "in" anymore in Japan), or even the problems they've had with management/record companies. But it's hard to say that the reason was really "this" or "that". My guess is that most artists are bold to see their sales decline eventually. How Mr. Children managed to keep it so stable for that long is more of a mistery, to be honest LOL

I don't think GLAY's case is abnormal when you look at the general scenery. Their sales are nothing like they used to be at their peak, but they are still able to reach top 10 weekly every time (in fact, with the exception of three "rare collectives" volumes, they've always peaked at #1 or #2 since their first #1, which was in 1996). Then there are some other artists who also used to have huge sales and to hold records in the past but now  have very low sales and don't perform well on Oricon. Even so, some of them are still considered stablished artists or even have reached the status of "legends".

I would love to see GLAY having a huge hit again, but I don't see that happening. The fact that they are now under their own (independent) label means they are hardly going to have any important tie-up and other types of big promotion that would be really effective in making their new music known by general listeners. Their pattern is different now. But GLAY have been fairly stable with sales. They had large drops between 2000-2004. However, their latest original album, in 2010, didn't sell much lower than their previous one released 3 years before. Similarly "LiB" didn't sell much less than "The Frustrated", also released 3 years earlier . Their sales would probably look more stable if they released original albums more often; from 2004 to 2010 they released 3 original albums while some artists released one original album every year.

Considering that their sales are still decent, we don't have to worry about them And when they decide to retire (which will eventually happen), the cause won't be the sales.

Last Edited By: Angel cake Apr 21 11 3:50 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 post_url

Apr 21 11 1:13 PM

When you think about it, it's not that weird. Think of Bon Jovi. They're legends over the worlds and they broke records in their heyday. EVERYONE knows them and (possibly subconsciously) knowns one or a couple of their songs. They're cool in the sense that they're legends. Did you know they had a new album out in November 2009, called the Circle? Or a Greatest Hits album last year? Probably not. Even if you did, would you buy them, unless you were a fan to begin with, or from their era, the 80s or 90s? Probably not. Their sales are very good, but not phenomenal anymore. Yet they had the most profitable concert tour of 2010, because people want to see these legends.

Not saying Glay is exactly like Bon Jovi, but similar in a way. EVERYBODY knows them. People think their cool. Even young kids know songs like However and Winter, Again (note how they are their hit singles, not recent ones like VERB). They still very nicely, reading no. 1 and with their albums going Platinum or Gold, but it's not like they're breaking records anymore. They've entered legend status. Yet they STILL manage to sell out the Nissan Stadium two days in a row, which is like 150,000 people. I like to think of it in those terms.

There is no shame in not being a hip, young band anymore. B'z, but especially Mr. Children are special cases and even though Glay might not have held on to their popularity as long as they have, that doesn't mean that they're seen as less of legends.

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

Apr 22 11 5:23 AM

Right. Everybody here brought up some good points. They are of legend status and are respected as ever. Being in Japan and going to karaoke a few times, I can say that there are GLAY songs that non-GLAY fans know. Beloved, Winter, Again and However are songs that everybody knows; fan or not. What I am saying is that any artist that has several songs that are well known by the general public have to be doing well.

Last Edited By: t3k0 Apr 22 11 5:27 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

shodoimpulse

#14 post_url

Apr 22 11 8:13 AM

Yeah, GLAY's songs are so classic and timeless especially those like However, Winter, Again and Beloved just like t3k0 said. We all sort of agreed that GLAY already entered the legend status and well respected by fans. All these old band/artist like GLAY, B'z, Mr Children and to the extend jpop artist like Every Little Thing and Ayumi can sell out dome and stadium despite of the declining status (except Mr Children that remain consistent). 

This is what i learn from one of my friend involved in managing the performance,  comparing the profit that an artist would get from the cd sold as oppose to the profit got from selling out stadium and dome is very huge. The merchandise sold during the concert gave higher revenue as compared to the ticket price from the concert. And artist/singer would get highest income if their concert scale is larger and sold out venue as compared to artist that sold tons of cd... Basically, GLAY fall under this category of getting profit from live performances and that way, the low sales of cd was not an issue at all..smiley: happy Even if they dont reach 100k, it's still okay~ i'm so relief~

Quote    Reply   

#15 post_url

Apr 22 11 6:14 PM

shodoimpulse wrote:
Basically, GLAY fall under this category of getting profit from live performances and that way, the low sales of cd was not an issue at all..smiley: happy
It's like this for every musician. Their main source of income has always been from live performances and the amount of goods sold. I wouldn't worry about it either way, though, when it comes to GLAY. They themselves have said they don't care about being #1 on the charts (although it's nice), they just care about being the only one :3

-----
It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but GLAY will be releasing a digital charity song for earthquake relief. Shortly after the disasters happened Teru wrote a song titled "Thank you for your love" for the victims and uploaded it via Twitter. GLAY re-worked the song to include the entire band, and now it's to be released with all proceeds going to the Japanese Red Cross. The song will be available starting May 5th.

The cover for the upcoming DVD & Blu-ray has been released as well:

can't wait!

@babalina: would it be possible to make the title for this thread in all caps? That's how their name is stylized :3

Quote    Reply   

#17 post_url

Apr 23 11 2:57 PM

Ok I finally put the information. Again, I'm sorry about the delay. I didn't put their entire discography because I was afraid it was going to make the post too long, so I left it at just the studio albums. If anything else should be added, just let me know.

@ dokurock17: I fixed their name!

Quote    Reply   

#18 post_url

Apr 23 11 9:36 PM

t3k0 wrote:

Right. Everybody here brought up some good points. They are of legend status and are respected as ever. Being in Japan and going to karaoke a few times, I can say that there are GLAY songs that non-GLAY fans know. Beloved, Winter, Again and However are songs that everybody knows; fan or not. What I am saying is that any artist that has several songs that are well known by the general public have to be doing well.

And "Yuuwaku"! Even "zutto futtari de" is almost as well-known, and it isn't exactly a best seller, but it does seem more popular than say "Soul Love" or "Survival". Recently "Ikiteku Tsuyosa" made it into a list of the 100 most optimistic songs on Music Station and it was #38, ahead of many famous songs by other artists and even of "HOWEVER" which also made it into the list. It wouldn't be in a list like this if it wasn't well-known to begin with.

@dokurock17: Love love love the DVD cover043267964bbd04dd8299e0c9ca8ee0329345548d_r

@babalina: thank you for adding the info!

Quote    Reply   

shodoimpulse

#20 post_url

Apr 24 11 2:02 AM

i want that DVD NOW!!!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help