Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 9 15 1:46 PM

Tags : :

I haven't logged into this forum in a few years. Once JPM was gone I gradually stopped posting on here and other than older J-Pop I used to jam to back then, I haven't kept up with anything new. I was a HUGE fan of J-Pop in the late 90's and early 00's. I first joined JPM back then and boy do I miss those days. I've recently been reminiscing about my old Japanophile days and started lurking here, Arama, and AHS these last few days to see what's new and what's changed (these are the only J-Pop places I know of now. Everywhere else is all about K-Pop) and boy have things changed. Maybe it's because I've gotten older but the music isn't all that great anymore. I miss the Utada Hikaru/ Hamasaki Ayumi days when they were in their prime back in the day. Later on it was BoA, Kuu, Otsuka Ai, Do As Infinity, etc. A lot of the artists I used to jam to are either waaaay past their prime and putting out garbage, they don't make music anymore, or I just don't like their new stuff (*cough*Kaela and Ayu*cough*) Even though this forum is still chugging along on a prayer somehow and doesn't even come close to how active it was on JPM, it's still cool to see some old hats still post here once in a while. I wasn't famous back on JPM but my old username was HonMaru.

Last Edited By: Plisskin Jul 9 15 2:03 PM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 post_url

Jul 9 15 3:12 PM

I'm right there with you. But my problem stems from jpop not being accessible as it once was. Kpop is everywhere because they want the world to know...waiting for jpop to figure that out is a losing battle. Buy I too miss the good ol days.

Quote    Reply   

#2 post_url

Jul 27 15 3:26 PM

I was actually thinking about JPM today, Then i remembered i signed up here a couple of years ago.
I also miss JPM. Those were good times.
I became a member around mid 2004 and was such a noob back in the day since i just started listening to Jpop.
Then the forum went down somewhere in late 2005 and when it came back it didn't felt the same and went to Hello! Island.

Atleast i became an Elite Member on JPM. [1000 posts] lol

Quote    Reply   

#3 post_url

Sep 25 15 9:38 AM

Amen to all of this. I remember the good times on JPM back in the day. Lots of news, lots of drama, etc. And I was such a dick when I was younger, lol. But it was lots of fun.

I don't think it's just that KPOP is taking over, though. Message boards are a dying medium. Can't believe it's been over ten years.

Last Edited By: GaBuPowa Sep 25 15 9:40 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 post_url

Sep 29 15 12:09 PM

GaBuPowa wrote:
Amen to all of this. I remember the good times on JPM back in the day. Lots of news, lots of drama, etc. And I was such a dick when I was younger, lol. But it was lots of fun.

I don't think it's just that KPOP is taking over, though. Message boards are a dying medium. Can't believe it's been over ten years.
I don't know. Maybe for J-Pop? I'm a figure skating fan and forums like Goldenskate and FSU are very active.  I remember you from JPM. You were a huge BoA stan, lol. smiley: wink

Besides the drama and stan wars, JPM did introduce me to a lot of artists whom I still listen to their albums. Especially ones that weren't as popular like Eri Nobuchika, Chieco Kawabe, Sunday...they WERE popular on JPM but not on Oricon, lol. There were even stans for Hayami Kishimoto and Nami Uehara...most people now probably don't even know who tf these singers were.

Quote    Reply   

RicH

#5 post_url

Sep 29 15 12:37 PM

omg so many mémoirs... my favs were:
- the Koda Kumi / Namie Amuro / Ayumi Hamasaki thread lockdowns (fortunately not all at the same time, it was like one was locked down, other was lifted immediately LOL)
- the Tanaka Roma thread with goserena's story, replys even made me skip my daily tv-soap-watch schedule, real dramas were in that thread

...one minute silence for the forgotten artists/groups, so long Hayami Kishimoto, melody., HINOI team etc...

Quote    Reply   

#6 post_url

Sep 29 15 2:20 PM

RicH wrote:
omg so many mémoirs... my favs were:
- the Koda Kumi / Namie Amuro / Ayumi Hamasaki thread lockdowns (fortunately not all at the same time, it was like one was locked down, other was lifted immediately LOL)
- the Tanaka Roma thread with goserena's story, replys even made me skip my daily tv-soap-watch schedule, real dramas were in that thread

...one minute silence for the forgotten artists/groups, so long Hayami Kishimoto, melody., HINOI team etc...

Wooow. Omg, I completely forgot about this. I didn't even like his music but was all in that thread, lurking for the gossip/ tea. And yesss, to those thread lockdowns. They were always over some stupid stans bickering about Oricon positions or some ish.

I still bump to Chieco Kawabe's album. That was a damn good pop album and I don't know why tf Japan wasn't feeling it. Still can't believe she got knocked up by some ugly ass dude who is twice her age. I always wonder what Kishimoto and melody are up to these days. The last I heard about the latter is that she got knocked up by Miyavi.

Last Edited By: Plisskin Sep 29 15 2:23 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#7 post_url

Sep 29 15 10:25 PM

Plisskin wrote:
I still bump to Chieco Kawabe's album. That was a damn good pop album and I don't know why tf Japan wasn't feeling it. Still can't believe she got knocked up by some ugly ass dude who is twice her age. I always wonder what Kishimoto and melody are up to these days. The last I heard about the latter is that she got knocked up by Miyavi.
melody. and one of her sisters (the one who wrote lyrics and music for her a few times) did a project a few years ago with kids songs. Other than that, I don't really know what she's up to career-wise... She's active on Twitter and Instagram but she mostly posts about Miyavi and their two daughters. I can't believe it's been almost 7 years since she retired though.

Quote    Reply   

#8 post_url

Oct 1 15 10:16 PM

Hayami Kishimoto stan here... She goes by the name Miwako Kishimoto now, and she has a fairly strong web presence if you know where to look: TwitterInstagram, and a blog.  She was a manager at a clothing store in Osaka for a while, but it closed down and now I think she's a model or something.

Weirdly, a lot of ex-GIZA singers have changed their names or are going by different names now.  U-ka saegusa, Rina Aiuchi, Azumi Uehara...among others.  (OK yeah I was a GIZA stan, in general, lmao.)

You know who I miss? Akane Sugazaki.  Another GIZA singer, but she just kind of fell off the face of the earth after her first and only album. She was good...

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

Oct 2 15 9:30 PM

kaseii wrote:
Hayami Kishimoto stan here... She goes by the name Miwako Kishimoto now, and she has a fairly strong web presence if you know where to look: TwitterInstagram, and a blog.  She was a manager at a clothing store in Osaka for a while, but it closed down and now I think she's a model or something.

Weirdly, a lot of ex-GIZA singers have changed their names or are going by different names now.  U-ka saegusa, Rina Aiuchi, Azumi Uehara...among others.  (OK yeah I was a GIZA stan, in general, lmao.)

You know who I miss? Akane Sugazaki.  Another GIZA singer, but she just kind of fell off the face of the earth after her first and only album. She was good...
Rina Aiuchi? Maaannn, talk about nostalgia. I loved me some Rina. I liked Hayamin too but damn did she have some low sales though. I think Giza artists in general though didn't sell very well cause towards the end of Rina's career she has low sales. Hayamin and Rina were the only two Giza artists I listened to, but I do remember U-ka saegusa and the others. Thanks for that link to Kishimoto's social media. No wonder I couldn't find her. smiley: eyes Took a look at her blog and can't help but think that Japanese people need to get with the times and create/ get some better templates for blogs. There blogs always look so basic...Xanga circa 2002...
I got a tab open on my web browser right now to Aiuchi's old website; looking at her discography and maannnn, those album/ single covers are so nostalgic for me, lol. Highschool days for real. Back when besides forums, LJ was the shit, lol. There were so many JPop Comms on there too.

Quote    Reply   

#10 post_url

Oct 2 15 9:32 PM

ashado wrote:
Plisskin wrote:
melody. and one of her sisters (the one who wrote lyrics and music for her a few times) did a project a few years ago with kids songs. Other than that, I don't really know what she's up to career-wise... She's active on Twitter and Instagram but she mostly posts about Miyavi and their two daughters. I can't believe it's been almost 7 years since she retired though.

I stopped watching J-Melo when she left tbh. Thanks for those links and info btw. Looks like she's a housewife I guess. Kind of like Olivia. Accept, I'm more sad that Olivia isn't making music anymore.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 post_url

Oct 4 15 4:41 PM

RicH wrote:
MikiheadMikiheadMikiheadMikiheadMikihead (I don't know who this face is but I'll use it).

I only ever visited the Roma Tanaka thread because of the speculation over his sexuality.  The people who were so adamant that he was straight were just too funny, dude was basically the Clay Aiken of J-music.

Quote    Reply   

#12 post_url

Oct 26 15 6:12 PM

Jesus, OP this is basically how I feel. Was a huge contributor to the J-Urban scene but it was an up hill battle trying to make the artists that I like relevant to the mainstream J-Pop crowed. Even the poppy acts were hanging by a thin thread. I'm honestly done. This is the first time I've logged on here since early 2013 and I only came back because a got a notification about a post in the Jasmine thread. I just want to delet my account now.

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

Nov 1 15 5:13 PM

^ If I struggle making urban acts more known then I just say oh well and enjoy them on my own tbh.

I remember you OP though we never really talked, and I pretty much can relate. I'm in a huge nostalgia mood right now.

Quote    Reply   

#15 post_url

Nov 22 15 6:06 PM

I was just talking about this with a bunch of my friends, when I made a Friendsgiving playlist of our favorite nostalgia songs (lotsa m-flo loves, Utada Hikaru, and weaboo anime anthems).
I think the shift happened gradually and with a few major factors

- The death of forums as a medium, and social media going to new heights
I remember JPM had such bustling activity for artists, and musicians who had any sort of following here would have their own individual forums.
Jpop as a whole was so active, that I could spend my entire day on a BoA forum (BoAjjang lol) that was my internet playground as a teen (despite most of the people there being....lol).
But with social media it seems like all of those discussions now happen in the streams of instagram comments, FB threads, etc.

- A decline in a golden age or renaissance of anime/gaming for westerners
There is story after story of people in my generation who were introduced to jpop through an anime or game theme song.
There were these huge songs like Simple & Clean, Real Emotion/1000 no kotoba, Fukai Mori, or bands like FLOW who had huge followings simply because of a good theme song.

This seemed to be a time when popular anime was hyperfocused, so everyone was watching or checking out Naruto, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Code Geass, and popular RPGs like Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy. 
But in recent years, you have companies like SquareEnix who are clinging on for life/rising from the ashes and big themes just being more spread out/dilluted.
Maybe its because things are so much more accessible now with lots more options....? or maybe I'm just out of touch with anime?

- A shift in the musical landscape
I think a big driving force for the JPM community specifically were the J-pop "divas" at the time.
But with the other factors listed...by the time it was.....2009/2010 I could feel a big change.
Perhaps it was simply growing up, but I just felt like these pillars for the JPM community were changing.
Utada Hikaru retiring.
Koda Kumi's music just devolving and being swallowed by the whole "European producer with mediocre demos"/EDM everything/chasing trends and becoming a parody of herself.
BoA gradually getting worse and then never truly bouncing back from her US debut. (Honestly I think her jpop career is just now starting to get interesting again. The new songs from her last album were promising....the album was just a singles collection that was all over the place unfortunately).
I don't listen to Ayu but I've heard of major complaints too.
I feel like of the big "divas" that really kept the forum chugging along in its prime, only Namie stayed consistent

These artists weren't as huge for the forum as a whole, but definitely increased my disengagement with Jpop over the years:
BENI had a promising Universal debut and then COVERS took over her career.
Crystal Kay having label troubles and a subpar final album with them, before switching over (Vivid was a great album though, one of her best).
The m-Flo loves project was absolutely amazing. Astromantic and COSMICOLOR had great featurings and was a gateway into exploring new artists that fit right into my tastes. But right as the project ended my interest in m-flo disappeared with it.

With the bustling activity and energy of the old JPM, I also heard from lots of new artists at the time, which such a fun variety too.
One day I could learn of  Kaori Natori, the next day SweetS, and then Nobuchika Eri (whose debut is one of my favorite albums of all time).
 I think right now Japan is still in their EDM phase which I never latched onto. As someone who grew up with and loves r&b, most of the 2000s were exciting jpop times. (I was also a teenager who liked everything that I didn't immediately hate).

These days I can only manage to keep up with aritsts I used to be huge fans of.
Between Hikki, Namie, BoA, Koda Kumi, BENI, and Crystal Kay...there isn't....a ton of excitement.
And every now and then I'll hear something new that I'll thoroughly enjoy, but (luckily) its never on a fandom driven level like the early 2000s.
(Recently it's been exploring producer artists like Towa Tei, Cornelius, etc and then random old school jpop like Minako Yoshida)

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#16 post_url

Dec 5 15 1:27 PM

RicH wrote:

LOL that was a fun time. other memories:

-the Picture Me Praised and Picture Me Pulverized threads.
-Yurimanna pretending he was the Asian girl in the pictures he posted
-That dddaiyamondo guy swearing that he was Asian.
-Yurimanna claiming that he and applebottom/whatever other million names she's used were engaged.
-geoff's WANT ME, WANT ME fan video.

speak of the devil look what i still have in my photobucket:

Quote    Reply   

#17 post_url

Jan 5 16 2:29 PM

can't believe it's been almost 3 years since my last post.i even forgot that i have an account here.lol
been on jpop binge lately, made me miss JPM glory days. i was mainly active in THSK and YUI thread,also occasionally Miho Fukuhara and BEAST thread.
so many things happened with YUI's now married and had given birth to twins, THSK now left with HoMin etc. Still loving them but maybe HoMin a bit less as my favs were JYJ.
i might start posting again since i have so much of free time right now (waiting to be employed) xD

Quote    Reply   

#18 post_url

May 16 16 1:56 AM

uncle Jemima wrote:
RicH wrote:

LOL that was a fun time. other memories:

-the Picture Me Praised and Picture Me Pulverized threads.
-Yurimanna pretending he was the Asian girl in the pictures he posted
-That dddaiyamondo guy swearing that he was Asian.
-Yurimanna claiming that he and applebottom/whatever other million names she's used were engaged.
-geoff's WANT ME, WANT ME fan video.

speak of the devil look what i still have in my photobucket:

Yurimanna is still just as fascinating/strange these days as he was back then. I talk to him from time to time on facebook

Quote    Reply   

#20 post_url

Jul 12 16 10:05 AM

Remember that JpopYuna girl? I still find it funny how she made a thread for herself on the old JPM forum lmao

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help