Remove this ad

#461 post_url

Nov 21 15 2:41 PM

I wasn't into songs with "meaning", even her dramatic songs had same elements my critics are onto. I mean look at "This Is Love" - this song isn't worth for your money. The whole thing was a single into compilation album like they did with Kumi. "No. 1" sounds like an a-side while the other three songs sound truly like b-sides. Personally I liked "Torisetsu" more than "Moshimo.." and "Darling". "No. 1" is really great but also it's sad how she acts like an artist for families (her audience is full of children up to teenagers) and there are songs like "Unzari" then. Japanese girls will love this song because she's singing that cute and it sounds cute but in meaning it's just like singing about a typical society slut. They always hide things with English lyrics, it's really not like the most Japanese people know the English language or what people think, they don't. Also songs like "Girls Girls" or "Abracadabra" are bad influences on the young audience, is it so important looking good for a boy? What moral is this? But that's how music industry works.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#462 post_url

Nov 21 15 7:40 PM

We all know that Kana is one of those artists who live to please the audience. I think what she wanted to do was what she did when she debuted. Her main interests then was hip-hop, R&B, reggae and folk songs. But it's a hard industry, and you can't afford to just sing whatever you like. It was a harsh reality she didn't sell well, so she (and most people) need to adapt to please the audience, and the music industry works that way.
She had freedom to choose a-side songs after Tokutemo? I don't think so, but she had some freedom on b-sides, that's why they have more variety.
But that's how real world works, sometimes we need to adapt or else we are "extinct" (sorry for getting Darwin here ahah, I couldn't helped it).
I believe that right now, she enjoys what she does, and as long as she sells, she doesn't need to change her sound for something diferent like reggae or soul.

Quote    Reply   

#463 post_url

Nov 23 15 2:06 AM

WOO-HOO! I like all 4 new songs, I'll rate them like this UNZARI -> This Is Love -> No.1 -> This Is How We Do It. UNZARI is fire.

@Serdar, man, cillax, it's not cool to call anyone a slut. It might surprise you, but all songs in the world are predominantely about 4 subjects: love, grief, parties and sex. Kana writes the lyrics herself, so she can sing about what the hell she wants. If you want "smart" cryptic lyrics listen to Ayu for instance.

Quote    Reply   

#464 post_url

Nov 23 15 8:41 PM

Kana's songs were never anything other than the usual tripe about girls having fun/finding love/losing love and while sometimes I feel the lyrics would set feminism back a couple of decades, they are precisely just that, pop songs. While I'm not saying there aren't experimental, ground-breaking, decade-defining pop songs, trying to expect more anything than superfluous fleeting sense of joy from pop songs is setting up oneself for disappointment. Sorry to draw comparison to Lady Gaga but her earlier works were pop masterpieces compared to the contrived agenda-driven later works when she tried too hard to fit themes to pop songs. Commendable effort I suppose, but sometimes pop songs are just meant to be catchy, and that's pretty much all it needs to do, at least for me.

Quote    Reply   

#465 post_url

Nov 27 15 3:01 PM

They attacked me because they said "slut" isn't a bad word, how cool there is someone who understands the meaning. I don't said Kana is a slut, where? I said she sings about this.

My point wasn't about smart lyrics. She could make songs about your points in a moral way, I mean she has so young fans but okay if it's that way you would treat your children it's another point of view then. Look at Kana, I saw little girls singing and dancing to "Candy" please do you know the lyrics? Is it that what you want for your kids? But okay parents these days; their kids are pregnant around 12 tho. Kana is in her childish stupid way a big bad influence on the younger audience. It's the point that she really don't care what audience she got, she only wants to do her thing.

Also I can't see feminism anywhere, the biggest liar of being a feminist is Beyoncé - she's only everything men want see. For sure you're independent while you're shaking your ass, being fierce blahblah, it's all about making men comfortable by watching and seeing other girls be like that.

Last Edited By: Serdar Nov 27 15 3:03 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#466 post_url

Nov 27 15 6:26 PM

I understand all your points (though I don't agree with them all but it's just opinions).
You already stated your thoughts over the lyrics, but while I was reading your posts it makes sound like you are hating Kana. Everybody has the freedom to like and dislike whenever they want, but if you dislike Kana that much (and sorry, but you sound like you do) why have the trouble to come to a fan thread dedicated to Kana?
This thread is to share all kinds of thoughts about Kana's current events, songs, lyrics, just like you before but lets not share hate here please.
If you dislike that much her lyrics and perhaps her songs, don't bother listening to her and move on. I don't get why you're making a fuss here, I don't want to offend you, but if you dislike her and her work then listen to other artists that make you feel good.

Last Edited By: Kathia Nov 27 15 6:29 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#467 post_url

Nov 28 15 11:35 AM

No, I don't hate her, I like her music but I started to delete the ones that don't match to my way of thinking in fact I'm a man, so the overdone "boys make me horny, I need to be hot" songs are nothing to my mind. I don't get why people always think you hate something only because your opinion gives some critics. I only wanted to share my mind and it's sure that a singer is not perfect, so the singer can get critics. This is no hate, in fact you know I wrote things other people didn't - I was nearly the only one here who liked "Torisetsu" much and I don't like cute songs at all but is this hate while you guys don't liked that song, I don't think so. That's like Wikipedia, fans only want to read good things about the artists but as encyclopedia the not so good sides are there, too. So here we can share our minds, good or not good as long as there are no insults and overdoing 'You're wrong blablah'. Also I liked "No.1".

Last Edited By: Serdar Nov 28 15 11:39 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#468 post_url

Nov 29 15 7:09 AM

^ It's not that you can't speak out and share your opinion, it's the way you present it. You use harsh words and it does sound like you really don't like Kana.

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#469 post_url

Dec 5 15 12:25 PM

my opinion, that is somewhat but not necessarily related to the current discussion - the reason i like Kana so much now is because i'm starting to realize that of all the pop songs that are out there in the pool of "songs waiting to be recorded" she somehow ends up with the best ones. it is mostly pretty standard pop music, but it's the best that's available. i don't mean that about just her current songs but throughout her career.

Quote    Reply   

#470 post_url

Dec 15 15 1:42 PM

Kana Swift.

Kana needs to go back to her R&B style, seriously. I'm not here for this country-pop music.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#471 post_url

Dec 15 15 2:08 PM

Well but it works for her, Darling was a success, Moshimo was also a moderate success, and Torisetsu might be the greatest of them all (with 53,300 copies sold and still charting, plus the year-end music shows that will give Torisetsu more longevity).
For personal taste, I like the dramatic Kana better than the cute Kana, but I don't hate it either. As long as she keeps releasing good music and with some success, it's all that matters.

Quote    Reply   

#472 post_url

Dec 15 15 3:45 PM

lol, she sings that song so cute and innocent. it needs more attitude in my opinion. but her english is actually quite good. I am surprised.

Quote    Reply   

#474 post_url

Dec 16 15 4:17 AM

uncle Jemima wrote:
my opinion, that is somewhat but not necessarily related to the current discussion - the reason i like Kana so much now is because i'm starting to realize that of all the pop songs that are out there in the pool of "songs waiting to be recorded" she somehow ends up with the best ones. it is mostly pretty standard pop music, but it's the best that's available. i don't mean that about just her current songs but throughout her career.

Hmm... She did end up being Giorgio Cancemi's "muse" so to speak (or his songs becoming her trademark) but I'd say her success and longevity is due to her distinct enough cutesy voice and kawaii persona/fashion choices. She might have been getting a bit samey but I can honestly say if someone else recorded some of my favourite songs of hers, I won't be so into them. I like her songs because of her voice. She might not be the strongest singers in the J-Pop realm but every time you hear her voice, you know it's hers.

Her Taylor Swift cover is pretty good also

Quote    Reply   

#475 post_url

Dec 16 15 1:32 PM

Elasee wrote:
lol, she sings that song so cute and innocent. it needs more attitude in my opinion. but her english is actually quite good. I am surprised.
Well she studied english literature at university, so her english can't be bad. She has a good accent, at least compared to her japanese peers. At least she tries to sound good in english.

Quote    Reply   

#477 post_url

Dec 17 15 1:48 AM

God it's been so long since I've listened to Kana, but I decided to watch the cover live and that was sO ADORABLE OMG. She sounded great. I agree with Elasee about needing more 'attitude', but I would say it needs a fuller sound in the band rather than like, any more angst in her voice or anything. The costumes were a tad cheesy though...but overall I was in love with it

Quote    Reply   

#478 post_url

Dec 17 15 8:26 AM

Her year-end music shows until now:

Best Hits Kayousai - Torisetsu

Best Artist - No.1

FNS Kayousai - Torisetsu

FNS Kayousai - We wish you a Merry Christmas

48th Yusen Taishou Awards - Torisetsu

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#479 post_url

Dec 17 15 8:02 PM

Kathia wrote:
Elasee wrote:
Well she studied english literature at university, so her english can't be bad. She has a good accent, at least compared to her japanese peers. At least she tries to sound good in english.

Her English improved at an alarming rate. It sounds like a completely different person on "In Stereo" than her English songs even just two years later.

Quote    Reply   

#480 post_url

Dec 20 15 3:29 PM

I loved her 'under the sea' cover, she's just too lovely, my god, how can be that cute <3

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help