Remove this ad

#1861 post_url

Mar 19 17 5:35 PM

Pillis wrote:

mmhmmm but those stages are getting smaller and smaller. Pretty soon she's going to be dropping cars on stages at high school auditoriums. And too professional and too polished?  Didnt she make a video just to call out the days of the week and do weak coochie pops the entire time??? I mean really. Not even the "affection" era was this horrible. I mentioned sale because you think she needs a bigger budget when general public doesnt really care for the product. Most likely avid fans were the ones who

bought both albums. Big budget videos isn't what she needs to get the public to pick up/download her album and attend her tours. She's in need of an image/music revamping. I said Beyonce because that's the only image/music she can fit.

Getting new fans in the music industry after 17 years of career is something a small handful of people on this planet has a achieved. Kumi's tours always sell extremely well and attract lots of people (150-200k people).
In the past 3 years I feel Kumi's really showing us her true self and has grown a lot as a performer. A revamped image with be totally fake, having said that I would welcome more innovative and interesting projects like Dance In The Rain. W FACE is a well done and nice (yet safe) album but I'm a bit disappointed too. Maybe avex could treat Kumi more like Namie Amuro but Amuro is like a robot so people don't really have an opinion about her and might still be interested in her, Kumi is an open book so she's the "take it or leave it" type.
Anyway I think the 60th single is gonna be a bigger thing, so let's wait.
I'm on the fence about the performance growth (she's never had trouble there imo) but I honestly agree with everything you said.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1862 post_url

Mar 19 17 6:56 PM

I believe that W FACE -inside- is an album I am almost never going to listen to save for a couple of tracks that are very good. The whole album is a pretty huge disappointment and if that were it by itself, I would say it would be her worst album to date, but I am glad she went with the idea of two albums to show her "emotional" side and her "aggressive" side, but lets all face it. As much as we do love her "emotional" side, I feel this should be more in moderation compared to her "aggressive" side which is really what makes her stand out from the rest of the generic J-Pop artists, hence why I think W FACE -outside- is so original yet a fresh new sound for her with all Trap-inspired elements (no idea WHY some people think half of the songs on their sound outdated when its honestly half the songs on -inside- that sound outdated). Here is what my dream W FACE (no -inside- or -outside- seperate albums) would probably be like:

01. W FACE
02. Ultraviolet
03. Insane
04. Bassline
05. Damn real
06. Heartless
07. On my way
08. Promise you
09. BRIDGET SONG (The name should be changed to "Smile" or "Happy" because the who in the actual hell is BRIDGET?)
10. What's Up
11. Shhh!
12. Bangerang
13. Wicked Girls (Song should be called "Weekend Girls" because it makes more sense lyric-wise, "Wicked Girls" has nothing to do with the actual lyrics, how are friends and shopping deemed "Wicked"?)
14. Cupcake

Quote    Reply   

#1863 post_url

Mar 19 17 7:03 PM

I am loving W FACE-outside- more and more
Jesus DamnReal is a fantastic track. I love the whole structure. At first I found the break weird but I really got used to it and I can't imagine the song without it.
And Heartless is rough and beautiful, lyric-wise too
W FACE, Insane, Damn Real & Heartless are the most important tracks and they set what's the album is about. Bassline, Bangerang are one of the best tracks tho, they are about sex and having fun, partying just like Ultraviolet, Wicked Girls etc...She tells what goes on with her career and things that we know. BTW this album is something she has never done before.

Inside is a personal album because it talks about things only she and family knows, that happens in her home.
Even tho it has a bright side and sound, the lyrics are quite obscure and shows her real feelings toward things and also about the side she wants to show. But it also shows that she found happiness in it.  'inside' didn't appeal for most people this time. I find it odd because this is what they always wanted to listen to, maybe people are not paying attention to her like they used to. I totally agree with the reinvention thing, but that's something really hard to find.

And no, the promotion wasn't enough.
in e.g. That drama starts late and we all thought the song was going to be the OPening song when it's only aired during the last minutes late night. All the other tie-ins are old and forgotten.

Last Edited By: Puta do Pop Mar 19 17 8:07 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#1864 post_url

Mar 20 17 4:17 AM

Kumi is lazy and complacent!? Now I've heard everything. And it's coming from a Hikki fan, the artist that took 8 years to release her latest studio album, while Kuu released something even being pregnant.

Quote    Reply   

#1865 post_url

Mar 20 17 4:27 AM

^ lols now now, Kuu and Hikki have mutual admiration towards each other. One's a singer-songwriter (thus takes longer to produce songs) and the other a singer-performer.

Quote    Reply   

#1866 post_url

Mar 20 17 4:49 AM

Lol @ Honey Girl.
It's not a lie - the digital album market share is smaller than the one for digital songs and overall also compared do phsycial sales. That's why I provided numbers from RIAJ. And you can't just take away the physical sales of idols and boy bands, cause then you falsify.
Also, I never said, Kuu would be doing good digitally right now, as I said we all know that, so what?
But your posts say much more about you than about anything else anyway. :shrug

Btw. Kuu has a collab with Best Western Hotels for the tour dates with themed rooms and goods.
And there are also new boxes for her fragrances.

Last Edited By: Corvina Mar 20 17 4:54 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#1868 post_url

Mar 20 17 7:29 AM

mitsuhoney wrote:
I believe that W FACE -inside- is an album I am almost never going to listen to save for a couple of tracks that are very good. The whole album is a pretty huge disappointment and if that were it by itself, I would say it would be her worst album to date, but I am glad she went with the idea of two albums to show her "emotional" side and her "aggressive" side, but lets all face it. As much as we do love her "emotional" side, I feel this should be more in moderation compared to her "aggressive" side which is really what makes her stand out from the rest of the generic J-Pop artists, hence why I think W FACE -outside- is so original yet a fresh new sound for her with all Trap-inspired elements (no idea WHY some people think half of the songs on their sound outdated when its honestly half the songs on -inside- that sound outdated). Here is what my dream W FACE (no -inside- or -outside- seperate albums) would probably be like:

01. W FACE
02. Ultraviolet
03. Insane
04. Bassline
05. Damn real
06. Heartless
07. On my way
08. Promise you
09. BRIDGET SONG (The name should be changed to "Smile" or "Happy" because the who in the actual hell is BRIDGET?)
10. What's Up
11. Shhh!
12. Bangerang
13. Wicked Girls (Song should be called "Weekend Girls" because it makes more sense lyric-wise, "Wicked Girls" has nothing to do with the actual lyrics, how are friends and shopping deemed "Wicked"?)
14. Cupcake

Uhm reading the lyrics (and actual common sense) would let you know that BRIDGET SONG is actually connected to the Movie Bridget Jones - I'm pretty sure that it where it stems from. Or the urban dictionary entry lol
Other than that, I pretty much agree with you. gosh I hate Stand by you.

Quote    Reply   

#1869 post_url

Mar 20 17 8:26 AM

I have been having Outside on repeat since it came out and I am still not bored with it. I listen to it while jogging (it takes me two rounds) while driving my car, while relaxing in the evening etc track by track, I do not change the order, to me it is perfect the way it is. It is the first album by Kuu which is truly enjoyable for me as a whole, from start to finish, no weaker moments (I only had to warm up to her way of singing in Heartless, she sounds amazing during the verses though) Damn real is my second favorite song (Insane is my absolute favorite) I love her vocals in it, the progression, the instrumental, the breakdown... it all fits just right.
Inside is not bad, there are just too many "done before" songs. I really love On my way, What's up, Promise you, Kimi Omoi and Bridget song. The rest is pretty ok. Yorokobi no kakera really grew on me, especially after her TV performance (very cute!)

Quote    Reply   

#1870 post_url

Mar 20 17 8:46 PM

ThinkingOutLoud89 wrote:
mitsuhoney wrote:

01. W FACE
02. Ultraviolet
03. Insane
04. Bassline
05. Damn real
06. Heartless
07. On my way
08. Promise you
10. What's Up
11. Shhh!
12. Bangerang
14. Cupcake

Uhm reading the lyrics (and actual common sense) would let you know that BRIDGET SONG is actually connected to the Movie Bridget Jones - I'm pretty sure that it where it stems from. Or the urban dictionary entry lol
Other than that, I pretty much agree with you. gosh I hate Stand by you.

No way, really? Wow, that never even occurred to me. I barely remember that movie so when I read the lyrics I just thought it was an interesting concept. Thanks for clarifying that! Yeah, Stand by you and Bring It On are songs I completely detest, especially the latter lol

Meanwhile, I totally made up a concept of all the songs on the album if they were to have a music video for each one. Well, the W FACE playlist I made.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1871 post_url

Mar 21 17 3:34 AM

Ai no Kage wrote:
I have been having Outside on repeat since it came out and I am still not bored with it. I listen to it while jogging (it takes me two rounds) while driving my car, while relaxing in the evening etc track by track, I do not change the order, to me it is perfect the way it is. It is the first album by Kuu which is truly enjoyable for me as a whole, from start to finish, no weaker moments (I only had to warm up to her way of singing in Heartless, she sounds amazing during the verses though) Damn real is my second favorite song (Insane is my absolute favorite) I love her vocals in it, the progression, the instrumental, the breakdown... it all fits just right.
Inside is not bad, there are just too many "done before" songs. I really love On my way, What's up, Promise you, Kimi Omoi and Bridget song. The rest is pretty ok. Yorokobi no kakera really grew on me, especially after her TV performance (very cute!)

Seriously though, Outside consists of "done before" songs as well, there is not a lot of innovation here sound wise. I believe only W FACE and Heartless sound somewhat new to her. I can't at people trying to find any reason possible to justify the fact they just don't like ballads, lol. It okay not to like something just because you don't, no need to explain.

Quote    Reply   

#1873 post_url

Mar 21 17 5:01 AM

^ agreeeeee...I like it at first time, one of my favorite track from inside lol...

Just want3 to share, when the Album out I keep listen outside over and over again because its so dope, but recently I listen inside full album everyday and that makes me can more enjoy some tracks that I hate before like 好きでして..For me, Inside is an album that I will listen when I feel good and relax and Outside is an album that can cure my stress and boost my mood LOL...Give a time and try to listen it more is not a bad idea, maybe it won't works for everyone because of the personal taste reason..I love both side of our Queen so I enjoy both album.

Last Edited By: mright Mar 21 17 5:08 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#1874 post_url

Mar 21 17 6:39 AM

^ The song that really grows on me a lot was Damn Real. At first listen, it wasn't as catchy as the other songs in Outside but now I am so in love with it.

Quote    Reply   

#1875 post_url

Mar 21 17 8:05 AM

@evilsin, why are you assuming I am trying to justify anything? I am one of those few people who actually love her classic ballads. What I meant is there are songs like Stand by you, Kimi Omoi or What's up which sound like MANY other songs she has done before. I wish at least Stand by you was not another Japanase classic ballad, but lets say a soft r'n'b ballad. Nothing else.
There is not much innovation on Outside going on either, but we can not say she has done THAT many songs like W-FACE, Insane, Damn real, Bassline, Bangerang before... maybe just in some recent years so to me it still sounds fresh. They all sound like Bon Voyage meets WOML, those two sounds mixed in one and done even better.

Quote    Reply   

#1877 post_url

Mar 22 17 1:02 AM

^ Oh that's pretty good for a 2nd week! Pretty happy with the results actually.

Just checked WOML's 2nd week is 3485 so not a big drop smiley: laugh

Last Edited By: LiLo Mar 22 17 1:25 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#1880 post_url

Mar 22 17 3:53 AM

Ai no Kage wrote:
@evilsin, why are you assuming I am trying to justify anything? I am one of those few people who actually love her classic ballads. What I meant is there are songs like Stand by you, Kimi Omoi or What's up which sound like MANY other songs she has done before. I wish at least Stand by you was not another Japanase classic ballad, but lets say a soft r'n'b ballad. Nothing else.
There is not much innovation on Outside going on either, but we can not say she has done THAT many songs like W-FACE, Insane, Damn real, Bassline, Bangerang before... maybe just in some recent years so to me it still sounds fresh. They all sound like Bon Voyage meets WOML, those two sounds mixed in one and done even better.

Let me rephrase then - not just ballads, but songs in general. I mean from my perspective if you don't like it, you don't like it, so to me it sounds a little extra to say that "I don't like this songs becasue there were done before". It a weird notion, because it usually a criticism that people throw towards ballads even though Kuu had a lot of upbeat songs that are reminiscent of each other. No one says that he or she doesn't like Candy just because Kuu has done it before with Shake It for instance. And I believe this is only due to the fact that less people like ballads all in all.
mitsuhoney wrote:
Ya'll are slow if you think Outside is outdated lol

I don't think anyone said it was outdated, it's very much on trend, but it doesn't mean there is a whole lot of innovation in terms of Kumi's discography or pop music as a whole.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help