Remove this ad

#1981 post_url

Oct 24 13 11:23 PM

I think what I'm trying to say is that since they're all mainstream pop artists they are rivals to each other. But I do agree that people generally don't compare Namie to Ayu and vice versa since they're different in style and sound.

I remember when I started following J-pop in-detail (I grew up in Asia as a child, so I was already aware of J-pop and knew a bit of it) in my teens Namie's popularity was in her decline and people generally dismissed her as a non-factor for much of 2002 - 2005, but her popularity surged again by 2007-08 with Hide & Seek and the Vidal Sassoon promos. Then the Coca-Cola Ad with WILD was pretty much what secured Namie's place back on top, that ad was everywhere in Asia.

I do remember people did compare BoA to Namie Amuro, and as for Ayumi Hamasaki she was pretty much free-to reign since no one was exactly doing anything remotely close to her style at the time and achieving the same amount of success. There were some comparisons to Utada Hikaru, but Hikki was considered to be on her own league, her R&B-Western sound was different to Ayu's so the comparisons were limited.

Utada pretty much dominated 2000 to 2009, Ayu was a close second, while Namie was on the downlow then dominated 2008 onwards. Ami Suzuki dropped off the radar by late 2000's. BoA dominated early 2000's, fell off the radar by mid-200's. Koda Kumi has been the most consistent one to this day actually in terms of releases and sales.

Special mentions are Ai Otsuka, Yui, Maki Goto, Miwa and Kana Nishino. Ai Otsuka was huge before, she completely disappeared by the time I graduated high school! Yui was like kind of her successor in the J-pop-rock genre but she's nowhere as big compared to Ai Otsuka. Kana Nishino is by far the only new female solo-artist that is a major stand-out,, she reminds me of Ayumi Hamasaki for some reason, but more relatable (not as outrageous) and Westernized. Maki Goto was like one of my favourites but she never really took off, so much potential. Miwa is a hit and miss. Anyway, I've always wondered who will be the next-generation "J-pop Divas," and I've always consistently placed Kana Nishino as the only one so far.

Last Edited By: glimmeringneon Oct 24 13 11:29 PM. Edited 1 time.

Remove this ad

zeopower6

#1982 post_url

Oct 24 13 11:42 PM

The Perfume girls and Kyary are carving out their own little niche. :/ I hate that some news outlets paint them as 'not J-Pop' for whatever reason though.

And Koda? Consistent? Uh, I don't think so.. she has practically never stopped releasing though I guess, but sales-wise, things took a huge turn for her after like 2-3 years of doing okay to well.

#1983 post_url

Oct 25 13 12:21 AM

Utada did not dominate 2000 to 2009. Give me a break. Ayu and Utada shared 2000-2004 then Kuu dominated 2005-2008 and then Namie took over in 2008 with Best Fiction and has yet to be succeeded. 

In the end though Ai Otsuka, BoA, Yui, Maki Goto, Miwa, Kana Nishino, Kyary, Perfume, etc will never come close to accomplishing what those 4 did.

Last Edited By: If You SeeKumi Oct 25 13 12:23 AM. Edited 2 times.

zeopower6

#1984 post_url

Oct 25 13 12:23 AM

Utada did have a higher sales average, but this is not a thread for that. This is about Namie.

Contrail makes me want to strut.

#1985 post_url

Oct 25 13 1:14 AM

If You SeeKumi wrote:
Utada did not dominate 2000 to 2009. Give me a break. Ayu and Utada shared 2000-2004 then Kuu dominated 2005-2008 and then Namie took over in 2008 with Best Fiction and has yet to be succeeded. 

In the end though Ai Otsuka, BoA, Yui, Maki Goto, Miwa, Kana Nishino, Kyary, Perfume, etc will never come close to accomplishing what those 4 did.

^ This, but i actually BoA did a lot on her own, with being the very first korean start to breaktrought (is that true?) and paved the way for all the other kpop acts to try Japan.

Anyways, i agree with you guys. The Queen wars are mostly started by western fans, the -kawaii, neko neko i love her but i only illegaly download her music neko- type of fans lol.

Remove this ad

#1986 post_url

Oct 25 13 3:09 AM

Fan wars are in fact started by international fans. Look at the comments on YouTube. I would say 99% of them are the one compares one artist from another cause it's all in English.

#1987 post_url

Oct 25 13 8:03 AM

NATE wrote:
The iTunes biography is not entirely factually accurate. The biggest error being her actual name. Namie Amuro is not her stage name, it is her birth name. Maruyama as been stated, is Sam's last name (real name Masaharu Maruyama). She took his name personally when they married, but she has been Amuro again since the divorce.
question: is her father's real last name Amuro? because for a foreigner, Amuro seems so Japanese

#1990 post_url

Oct 25 13 12:32 PM

I don't know if Italian has ever been confirmed. She could have just been half generic white.

@pAiZaLa Forgot to mention, Amuro is a pretty uncommon name, at least outside Okinawa.

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help