Remove this ad

#1941 post_url

Jan 3 14 10:07 PM

The release of Psy Gangnam Style is proof that you don't need English to have global success.

I just watched the PV for Dreaming Now and it's been a long long time I have enjoyed her music and style since her Second Session days. I'm sure she has released other singles that I might like but she needs to do is stop releasing too many wack singles that overshadow the good. Her Secret album was a classic.

Remove this ad

#1942 post_url

Jan 3 14 10:36 PM

But it's not because of his music that he got popular. It's because of him being a funny fat asian man who did a silly dance that everyone can emulate. No one cared what the song actually was about (which sucks cuz it's quite relevant to society nowadays). They just like horse-trotting down the streets

#1943 post_url

Jan 3 14 11:24 PM

He was being himself and it worked. His video happened to gotten viral and history was written. His success was no different than the Macarena. It was a catchy song with a catchy dance routine I guess an entertaining video to add in the mix. I'm not saying this is the direction where our fav Jpop artist needs to do to become successful globally. But they do need to be themselves cause no one like a sellout, especially fans.

My opinion on how Ayumi can gain global recognition is probably a well directed Hollywood biography movie when she is like 70, retired and old considering the direction of where her career is going. And of course Namie too since her life so far is one hell of a story to tell but I could be wrong about her considering her career is still going strong. (I'm not biased I swear ;) lol)

As for Koda, I don't know what the direction her career is going

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#1944 post_url

Jan 4 14 1:41 AM

↑ but no one takes him seriously. people don't take Asian artists (especially Asian women) seriously. it's sad but it seems to be true (don't ask me for a source because i can't cite one).

#1946 post_url

Jan 4 14 4:35 AM

^^^ But PSY is a one hit wonder and if it was not for Youtube they would've never released Gangnam Style outside of South Korea. So he just got lucky.

#1947 post_url

Jan 4 14 6:17 AM

sora2522 wrote:
Keep in mind that all of the Engrish examples thrown out for Kuu are WAY old, well before she got any actual English training. Of course, we still have "I wanna dreaming now", but it's still not completely awful. If she just got a few lessons, then there's a good chance she could be pretty good at English, on par with Hikki, Boa, maybe even Ayu (considering she also learned it as a second language).

Again BoA can barely speak English, unlike Hikaru who is fluent. Ayu is a bit better than BoA, but still not close to Utada. And I think you are underestimating how hard it can be for some people to learn a foreign language...So a few lessons wouldn't suffice. People could potentially help her out while she is recording like they did with BoA so she'd sound more natural at least while singing, but she isn't going to become fluent over night, especially considering that she hasn't really improved over all these years.

mrZENO wrote:
I actually have to say that I LOVE J-Pop, it's my favorite genre ever, and back in the past I wished so hard I would be able to see Kuu, Namie and my favorite asian singers on MTV Italia. 
But if I look at what happened to those artists, both japanese and korean, who tried (and maybe had success in the West), is that they changed sound. I love japanese music because it's different from western music, if not I wouldn't listen to it. Western songs kinda have their sound (and I like it though) and I don't want asian music to be ''contaminated'' by western music, just because it wouldn't sound the same. I really like K-Pop, my favorite groups ever, along with GIRL NEXT DOOR (who actually disbanded a few weeks ago), are 2NE1 and Girls' Generation, but if I compare J-Pop to K-Pop, K-Pop is actually way more western that the first one. 
I don't wanna to listen to the same music I can listen here in the west just in another language.
I love asian music and I do believe it's superior to western music as it has its own sound and its own particularity, which is a pretty rare feature to find in the West.

EDIT:
On the other side, if asian acts would be successful in the West, we would be able to have concerts, allowing us to see them. But I still want asian music to maintain its sound. )

J-pop isn't considered a genre, it's pop music. The j prefix was first used by the Japanese media to distinguish the Japanese artists from the others, even though I guess today you could say it's a genre, it's really not Asian music has already been contaminated and you have the Korean wave and the idol groups to thank for that. It pains me to admit it, but jpop has withered in so many ways. It's nowhere near where it was 4+ years ago (been into it since 2004). Not to mention that you have so many Western producers making songs for Asian acts.

Asian artists could tour other continents if they wanted to, even the more famous ones. ONE OK ROCK had a very successful World tour this year and so did GACKT a couple of years ago. Yes they might be j-rock and all, but I am sure BoA, Ku or Ayu would have as much success, regardless of a language they are singing in. In fact if I went to Utada's concert I would like to see as few English songs as possible.

I don't even want to talk about PSY cuz that song represented everything that was wrong with kpop.

Last Edited By: njanjayrp Jan 4 14 6:32 AM. Edited 2 times.

#1948 post_url

Jan 4 14 7:21 AM

uncle Jemima wrote:
↑ but no one takes him seriously. people don't take Asian artists (especially Asian women) seriously. it's sad but it seems to be true (don't ask me for a source because i can't cite one).

PSY has always been known for his comedy and witty acts. From my understanding of how people take him seriously is that he doesn't give [email protected] as long they are entertained cause that is why he is in the biz for. His name is PSY for psycho! And I am sure he is enjoying every moment of it. How can anyone take a female foreign Asian artist seriously if they step foot in the west?! Who the f are you? Show us your tits already! Image is key, high-end fashion, hanging out with popular producers and celebrities. Talent comes secondary. But that's also in general speaking since there are a lot of talentless artists are blowing up. Riff Raff, Chief Keef, Iggy Azealea, Krayshawn, and they all have a unique image. For an asian artist CL from 2NE1 has potential since she has the image and well connected. Plus she's also talented. But we'll see.

#1949 post_url

Jan 4 14 2:30 PM

to get back on topic:

watched Japonesque, glad I waited till I hot my copy. One of her finest lives, as awesome as I remembered it.

It was very cute how she was touched by the surprise LaLaLaLa by the fans. Nice to see the bond like this between artist and fans.

on the other hand there was a part in the making where she is waiting at the shizuoka station and they spotted 2 foreigners from the concert. She waved and called but was completely ignored... wow.
I remember those 2 idiots, they seemed clueless and were just buying tons of stuff at the venue. How can you miss kumi after you just watched her concert?!

that part upset me..

Last Edited By: puranki Jan 4 14 4:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

#1950 post_url

Jan 4 14 5:37 PM

coolawits wrote:
A bit ironic saying that Kumi should stay the hell away from a microphone in English when you have Namie Amuro in your avatar...lol -_-

Namie's Engrish in all her english songs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kuu's engrish in Real Emotion and 1000 Words

But real Emotion/1000 Words was HOW many years ago? And during that era Namie's English wasn't that great either and has not really improved in recent years unlike Kumi who HAS improved, so...yeah...lol

Remove this ad

#1951 post_url

Jan 5 14 1:02 AM

puranki wrote:
on the other hand there was a part in the making where she is waiting at the shizuoka station and they spotted 2 foreigners from the concert. She waved and called but was completely ignored... wow.
I remember those 2 idiots, they seemed clueless and were just buying tons of stuff at the venue. How can you miss kumi after you just watched her concert?!

that part upset me..

so harsh. the girl is my friend, she is spanish/member from ilovekuu forums, the guy is only her boyfriend (not big fan). they really didn't notice (Who would think koda kumi was there as a normal person!! o_o), it really affected her; but yeah she is more of an ayu fan but still loves kuu and namie and has a ton of stuff from the 3 of them. she is a nice person

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/970488_663699136988817_733832096_n.jpg

at first I was meh about this new album but I realized I NEED NEW MUSIC FROM HER. I miss her cute stuff smiley: laugh Milk Tea is the sweetest song ever.

the promo pic reminds me of xtina aguilera's candyman. kinda want kuu to do a song/video like that since xtina is one kuu's fave artists.

Last Edited By: maze Jan 5 14 1:25 AM. Edited 4 times.

#1952 post_url

Jan 5 14 3:23 AM

^feel sorry for her lost
It reminds me of the time like two years ago, queen Kumi came to my city to perform at an event and the ignorant me at that time didn't even know who she is

#1953 post_url

Jan 5 14 3:31 AM

puranki wrote:
to get back on topic:

watched Japonesque, glad I waited till I hot my copy. One of her finest lives, as awesome as I remembered it.

It was very cute how she was touched by the surprise LaLaLaLa by the fans. Nice to see the bond like this between artist and fans.

that part upset me..
Which making of is this from? i'm intrigued....

#1954 post_url

Jan 5 14 4:57 AM

sorry, but I still mean it like that. I saw them, and yes they seemed to chat in spanish. I have been a fan since almost 10 years and this was the first time I ever so her Concert. It meant the world for me to be finally able to so her. And as written before, the 6 hours before it at the venue were hell. So yes, it made me a liiiiittle angy that those tho wandered in like super clueless tourist that seemed to just have stumbled upon the venue by chance "oh look at tha, why not go in?"
That's how it was there, that's how it felt to me.

I feel like it's better I do not discuss this any further.

@Kinder Suprise: It's the making of Japonesque, it's on the second Disc or 3rd if you got DVD.

#1955 post_url

Jan 5 14 9:03 AM

But real Emotion/1000 Words was HOW many years ago? And during that era Namie's English wasn't that great either and has not really improved in recent years unlike Kumi who HAS improved, so...yeah...lol

Namie's english has improved leaps and bounds. It is actually incredibly daring to think that she's putting out songs in complete english. Very few JPop artists would consider putting out full english songs if they weren't fluent. Even those who are fluent/very advanced don't e.g. Kana and Ayu. Namie's english has improved so much. Listen to Alive, La La La and Stardust In My Eyes - you can clearly hear every word.

There are also plenty of more recent examples of Kuu's engrish problems. "ray down, ray down and ir ray down da raw". "no man's rand". Even in Dreaming Now!, excluding the obvious 'I wanna dreaming now!', there are so many occassions when you read the lyrics and you're like "what? that bit was an english word!!". LALALALALA has problems - "heel", "noise", "song" - they are barely audible. Yes her english has improved but it is far from perfect.

For dem lulz older examples - Twinkle (so twinkrle why dun u crap ur handz), A Whole New World, Venus. Like seriously, Namie was attempting full english tracks way before others - Looking For You in Genius 2000 and it's not that bad actually. And while others have cut down on the english tracks, so that people don't laugh at them (Kuu no longer puts out full english songs), Namie has started to increase her english.

@puranki: I haven't seen the making off myself, but it is genuinely plausible that they didn't hear her and/or didn't recognise her (seriously some people look completely different when you get rid of their make-up) and couple that with the fact they may not have understood if she randomly shouted out "konnichiwa, atashi wa Kuu-chan desu". But yes, if that was me, I would have freaked and just fainted lol.

#1956 post_url

Jan 5 14 10:10 AM

Is Namie actually able to speak English? As far as I know she doesn't, does she? Kuu doesn't speak English. Somebody here on the forum already mentioned it some time ago, but it all depends one the producer and their staff in general, if they pronounce english words right. If nobody tells them and they don't know themselves, chances are high that it sounds weird. Namie has a English fluent manager now, does she? And maybe she did start learning proper English. Could already be the reason, why her English pronounciation improved so much. Though , it's Japan, don't forget . Mostly it doesn't really matter, if the English is right, lol.

RicH

#1957 post_url

Jan 5 14 10:14 AM

Even those who are fluent/very advanced don't e.g. Kana and Ayu. Namie's english has improved so much.
^^ no offense, but please don't bring Namie here, especiall now; with her 'to make me FEE FEE FEE feel alive'.
Not to mention 'Oh! Shit Baby!', and the song 'Heaben'.
And 'Let me let you go' is like oh em gee gurl what language is this how fluently u can sing in nepali lmao.

So even if they have improved, they are on the same level.

Last Edited By: RicH Jan 5 14 10:21 AM. Edited 1 time.

#1958 post_url

Jan 5 14 10:31 AM

RicH wrote:
Not to mention 'Oh! Shit Baby!'
Btw she did sung 'Oh SHIT! Baby!'

and I don't think koda can pronounce the sentence 'One touch and we disappear. Take me out to the stratosphere' correctly like Namie lol! smiley: roll

#1959 post_url

Jan 5 14 2:52 PM

Ah! Repressed Namie fans cant even be honest with themselves.
h
Anyway, just saw JAPONESQUE live tour last night and it was so AMAZING! Possibly one of my favorite concerts from her, and is it me or did she look even younger compared to previous concerts? Well, it could also be that it was the first time I ever saw her in true BD quality. The Double Encore really made me tear up and the making was hilarious, Minami is possibly my favorite female dancer and the new male dancer is so cute! But I still love my U*G, he is so cute! I am glad they kept the interludes away from the actual concert, I really hope the Bon Voyage tour will have a story much like Kingdom was. The parts that made me laugh were her clumsiness. When she was practically running for her life to the stage then the door opens and she sings the ballad, that was just fucking amazing!

#1960 post_url

Jan 5 14 3:19 PM

Oh, yes, all we need here is another "my fav is better than yours"- discussion, there wasn't enough of that last time...

Anyway, pronunciation isn't really indicating how good your understanding of a language is. Clearly, Kumi has still grammar problems too, but since she wanted to improve her English, I could imagine her understanding has become a lot better already.

What I really think is sad, is that her management isn't able to get someone who speaks English fluently to have a look at the lyrics so that really "big" mistakes would get corrected. 

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help