Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 7 12 4:41 AM

Tags : :

instead of having new threads made just to recommend music for you, this thread serves as the place for you to ask for recommendations. do check the thread for all the recommendations so far before you ask for recommendations.

Last Edited By: moviebuffwwc Dec 7 12 4:37 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

journey

#1 post_url

Re: sup, recently discovered J-Pop music and looking for some cookie cutter albums for a new fan to the genre

flawless albums:

Shimizu Shota - Umbrella
Kato Miliyah - Heaven
Nishino Kana - to LOVE
Jasmine - GOLD

Quote    Reply   

#2 post_url

Re: sup, recently discovered J-Pop music and looking for some cookie cutter albums for a new fan to the genre

Koda Kumi - Kingdom
Ayumi Hamasaki - GUILTY / (miss)understood
Namie Amuro - PLAY
Utada Hikaru - HEART STATION

Quote    Reply   

#3 post_url

so far in my mind...

Hamasaki Ayumi - "I am...", "LOVEppears", "Memorial address", "A BEST 2 -Black-", "A BEST 2 -White-", "A BEST"
Utada Hikaru - "The Singles Collection Vol. 2", "The Singles Collection Vol. 1", "DEEP RIVER"

for a more eclectic choice
Nakashima Mika - "MUSIC", "LOVE", "YES", "BEST"
Tokyo Jihen - "ADULT"
Onitsuka Chihiro - "The Singles Collection", "This armor"
Shibasaki Kou - "Singles Best"
Shiina Ringo x Saito Neko - "Heisei Fuuzoku"
Nakamura Ataru - "Ten Made Todoke", "Ashita wa Haremasu Yo Ni", "Wakage no Itari"

for a more poppy sound
Otsuka Ai - "LOVE JAM"
Koda Kumi - "BEST ~first things~", "BEST ~second session~"

male voice
Hirai Ken - "Utabaka: 10th Anniversary Complete Single Collection '95-'05"

Quote    Reply   

#4 post_url

I don't know your taste so I guess I'm recommending the 'softest' sounded album from Acid Black Cherry, titled 『2012』 which happens to be his latest work.

Quote    Reply   

#5 post_url

cheers, will look up these albums.  Still not sure what all the Sub Genres in J Pop are yet, still learning haha

Last Edited By: lorddweedle Nov 19 12 4:04 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#6 post_url

JASMINE - Gold
Angela Aki - Home
ayaka - all her 3 albums + best of collection
Crystal Kay - Call Me Miss, All Yours, Best Of Crystal Kay, Vivid
Namie Amuro - Style, Queen Of Hip pop, Play, Best Fiction

Quote    Reply   

#7 post_url

lorddweedle wrote:
Discovered Utada Hikaru and im listening to her Ultra Blue album and I love the music, voice is amazing.  I don't understand the lyrics sadly as I only understand English but music speaks across language barriers anyway so I feel as if I know what the songs mean.

Has anyone got any album or artist recommendations?  smiley: grin

I'd first check out Hikki's album DEEP RIVER.  As for other artists, try Miu SakamotoOLIVIA, or Salyu.

Quote    Reply   

#8 post_url

If you liked ULTRA BLUE, DEEP RIVER will blow your mind. I guess you should listen to that and work your way down. Other albums to listen to without skipping any tracks:

Perfume - GAME
alan - Voice of EARTH

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

actually for alan, i'd rather go for "Japan Premium Best & More"

other eclectic choices
Hitoto Yo - "Tsukitenshin", "Hito Omoi", "BESTYO"
Hajime Chitose - "Kataritsugu Koto" (the 2012 compilation, NOT the 2005 Single), "CASSINI", "Hanadairo", "NOMAD SOUL"
Onitsuka Chihiro - "DOROTHY"
Shimatani Hitomi - "Heart & Symphony", "PRIMA ROSA"

Last Edited By: moviebuffwwc Nov 20 12 11:51 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#10 post_url

Really enjoying Ayu's music now

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 post_url

so from our recommendations, you can go to Ayu's other albums which garnered mixed reactions from fans: "LOVE" mini album, "Duty", "Secret", "Love Songs", "FIVE", "RAINBOW", "NEXT LEVEL", "Rock'n'Roll Circus", "A BALLADS" (though this one is more for "RAINBOW" and "Sotsugyou Shashin"), "MY STORY" and its classical counterpart "MY STORY CLASSICAL", and "A Song for xx" where certain tracks from these albums have become fan favorites. not to be missed are the single "Mirrocle World", and the leading track "You and I" from A SUMMER BEST.

another pop choice:
hitomi - LOVE CONCENT

a piano-driven choice:
KIRORO - Kiroro no Ichiban Ii Uta Atsumemashita ("Best of" Compilation)

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

^ ....How are Duty and A BALLADS throw in with the 'mixed reactions' albums, especially those such as RAINBOW, Secret, and NEXT LEVEL? Duty is her best selling studio album and from the era that defined her career, and A BALLADS has always been a fan favourite. Not trying to pick, just saying. ^^;

Anyhow, aside from some of the more obvious recommendations that we can give, many of which have already been given a shout-out (I'm sure that you'll eventually try out all of the "Queens" (Ayumi, Hikaru, etc.) or general J-Pop staples (B'z, Mr. Children, hide, Kumi Koda, Namie Amuro, MISIA, BoA, Mika Nakashima, Kana Nishino, GLAY, DIR EN GREY, GACKT, Southern All Stars, Mai Kuraki, hitomi, etc.) on your own, regardless), I also HIGHLY suggest ayaka! Great for anybody who loves pop, rock 'n' roll, ballads, or really great vocals. JASMINE, if you like urban, is a great artist, too, especially for somebody so new to the scene. Here's a list of some of my other personal favourites--I tried to get a little bit of every genre--whom haven't been mentioned yet (no particular order):

AYA (she's kind of hard to find, due to not making much music and currently being on hiatus, so make sure that you search her name exactly - rock)
Showtaro Morikubo (rock, anime, pop)
Do As Infinity (not too big on most of their last few albums, but everything from before their breakup was great, I think - pop, rock)
SOUL'd OUT (hip-hop, pop)
MUCC (this is one of those bands that got significantly less heavy as their career went on, in case you're wondering, hah - visual-kei, metal, rock, pop)
BABYMETAL (metal, idol pop)
Anna Tsuchiya (rock, pop)
dream (I only recommend the 'original' dream, back when it was spelt exactly like that, lol - Eurobeat, pop, idol pop)
Momoe Yamaguchi (she's actually a pretty big name from way back, but because her music is so old now, I still added her, if that kind of music is your thing - kayoukyoku, pop, rock 'n' roll)
Yutaka Ozaki (same as above, but yeah - rock 'n' roll, pop)
FIRE BALL - (reggae, rap)
AI (she's really only been acknowledged for her major hit "Story", but she's got a lot of other great songs, especially from mid-career - hip-hop, R&B, pop)

Quote    Reply   

#14 post_url

A BALLADS is mostly consist of original ballads, "updated remixed" versions of her ballads, with the exception of "YOU", "Who..." "A Song for xx" which she re-recorded, and two new songs, "RAINBOW" and "Sotsugyou Shashin" (both songs are worth listening to, especially the former). as an album, however, the updated remixed versions are either redundant (not much difference than the original, ie "SEASONS") or lacked the dynamics of the original versions. and the re-recorded songs didn't do much, at least compared to what she did during "A BEST".

and if you use the sales as a benchmark, why don't you recommend Utada Hikaru's "First Love" album? it was the best selling album of all-time in Japan. (just pointing out) but anyway, let's get back to "Duty", while the album certainly holds its own, with the majority of the tracks in the album became either hits, or fan favorites, however, its dated production (at least compared to "LOVEppears", and the latter "I am...") is one thing that holds me back to recommend it. although it's my own fault for putting this as a "mixed reaction" album, but i don't see people jumping around saying listen to "Duty" immediately when they are asked which Ayu albums are recommended, or even so, it's not their top recommendations, or it's on the lower end of their recommended Ayu albums (not including those that they don't recommend).

Quote    Reply   

#15 post_url

If you want to try some rock music, you have to listen to Mr.Children, B'z, GLAY and L'Arc~en~Ciel (the latter 3 bands have toured in the US and in L'Arc's case, around the world). They are literally the biggest bands in Japan. I am surprised no one has mentioned them...

L'Arc~en~Ciel
ark
ray
KISS
BUTTERFLY

GLAY
pure soul
THE FRUSTRATED
THE GREAT VACATION VOL.1 ~SUPER BEST OF GLAY~
THE GREAT VACATION VOL.2 ~SUPER BEST OF GLAY~

Mr.Children
Mr.Children 1992-1995
HOME
Mr.Children 2001-2005
Mr.Children 2005-2010

B'z
B'z The Best "ULTRA Pleasure"
B'z The Best "ULTRA Treasure"
MAGIC
C'mon

Quote    Reply   

#16 post_url

other choices:
Hirahara Ayaka - "Jupiter ~Hirahara Ayaka BEST~", "The Voice", "4 Tsu no L", "my Classics!", "my Classics 2", "Sora", "From To", "Path of Independence", "ODYSSEY"

Quote    Reply   

#17 post_url

Duty is definitely my favourite Ayu album, but it seems to make sense not to recommend it to newcomers. She has a lot of material that is a lot more accessible immediately to ears that aren't familiar with her voice, or that jpop sound. Duty is a fantastic album, but it requires a bit of 'back story' if you will. It's like that Ayu album that everyone falls in love with on their own, then asks "WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS ONE?!"
haha

Anyway, Buffie has covered a lot of artists I would mention. Here are some others though:

Bonnie Pink
Present
Golden Tears
Every Single Day
Even So
Reminiscence

Maaya Sakamoto
short of recommending 13 of her 14 albums (original, mini or best), I'll just say to start with her most coherent and satisfying Best album release 'everywhere'.

Takasugi Satomi
Garden
Prism

misono
Sei -Say-

more later!

Quote    Reply   

#18 post_url

Perfume: Their whole discography tbh (You can try their best-of. It's a great introduction to new listeners.)

immi - J-Tek artist. Try SPIRAL and then Switch.

Namie Amuro: From PLAY to her latest album

Chara: I've only listened to her latest album + CAROL + UNION (which is becoming one of my favorite J-Pop albums ever). It may take a while to get used to her voice though. Her lyrics are great. Try UNION

Crystal Kay: Her earliest albums are really great laidback R&B. Try her best-of

Shota Shimizu - COLORS and Umbrella are his best albums. He's releasing a cover album next week if you're interested.

Miliyah Kato - HEAVEN is her best album

JASMINE - GOLD

Ayaka: Her Warner music was tha pits, (her ballads were great though. Try her Best Ballad Collection) but she created her own indie label and released an album called The beginning. It's one of the best J-Pop releases this year tbh!

school food punishment: Their music is really experimental from synths to rock. Their debut album under Sony called amp-reflection was AMAAAZZZZZZING. Too bad they disbanded

Sakanaction: They're music is similar to SFP. Can't say much about their past albums, but their latest album, DocumentaLy is great.

avoid koda kumi and her sister, and ayumi hamasaki k

Last Edited By: MacaroniMark Nov 24 12 5:34 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#19 post_url

lorddweedle wrote:
cheers, will look up these albums.  Still not sure what all the Sub Genres in J Pop are yet, still learning haha

the sub-genres are more or less the same as any other county. if you're into reggae at all check out lecca, her last album "Step One" is a good choice.

Quote    Reply   

#20 post_url

woo so much suggestions, thanks people.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help