Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 20 12 1:46 PM

Tags : :

I recently listened to a talk with Johnathan Blow and he made some interesting comments about Japanese games and why he dislikes them. You can watch the talk here (short, about 7 mins).

I would have to say I agree with everything he said. What are your thoughts?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 post_url

Nov 22 12 1:28 AM

I believe he was referring to JRPGs as well. The more I think about the things he said the more they make sense. I checked out a few newer games to see if I could apply the talk to the game and it's amazing how much of what he said is true. :p

Quote    Reply   

#4 post_url

Nov 23 12 4:43 AM

The Yellow Brick Road wrote:

I recently listened to a talk with Johnathan Blow and he made some interesting comments about Japanese games and why he dislikes them. You can watch the talk here (short, about 7 mins).�

I would have to say I agree with everything he said. What are your thoughts?�

Yes I agree with him, although J-games used to be not too fussy about being dictated at what needs to be done. From what I can see, J-games, esp. J-RPGs such as Final Fantasy XIII, The Last Story, even Resident Evil 6, for example, or I assume anything that has a story have become too focused on telling the narrative and not so much about letting the players play anymore. The cutscenes in these games sometimes are hilariously long and they have become rather linear with many of the elements being predetermined. I just recently went through the playthroughs for The Last Story and it was like the characters are telling you what to do every 10 seconds lol, bosses, puzzles, terrains you name it. I'm not saying this is "bad" per-se but J-RPGs have become an exercise of storytelling and visual display. I enjoy some aspect of it, it's like watching a movie and I can breeze through it in a matter of hours while being entertained with saccharine epileptic cutscenes but I have to say, the Japanese haven't been coming up with brilliant stories either. Their usual teenage, fabulously gelled-up bishie heroes getting caught up in worldly conflict thingy have been wearing thin on me and they are still intent on milking it dry, only this time around there is a jaw-droppingly great graphics to boot instead of the pixelated worlds of the old consoles.Their Western counterpart, however have been creating games that challenges the mind and not hell-bend on spoon feeding the players on hourly basis. 

Stunning graphics have been a bit of a double-edged swords for games. At one point, it's marvelous to see that someone has spend all that hours to model a virtual world that is meticulously detailed. But think about the time when there were only so much things they can do for the graphics, developers are pushed to think about other aspects of the game and not just visual to make it interesting. Now they just hit the render button.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help