Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 31 12 2:44 AM

Tags : :

I remember back when I was huge into j-pop from about 2007-2009 there used to be a huge online community. There were tons of blogs and reviewers everywhere and I was on top of all of this shit. Now I'm looking around and wondering where the hell everyone is. Has everyone moved onto k-pop now?

It's really sad. I didn't even know that Ayu divorced and that Kumi is married now. wtf

Last Edited By: chaosakita Oct 31 12 2:47 AM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 post_url

Oct 31 12 3:04 AM

The short answer is, yes, I think most people have either just moved on from j-pop and got over it, or moved on to k-pop.

I'm guilty of this, but it just feels like the j-pop scene is so lacking lately and so dominated by the likes of AKB and Arashi, and gone are the days of Utada, Ayu, etc.

Here's hoping things will pick up and get interesting again.

Quote    Reply   

#2 post_url

Oct 31 12 5:39 AM

Well I wasn't that hugely involved with Jpop communities back then, but now I'm not even into Kpop either. So for me, it's like nothing really changes.

Quote    Reply   

journey

#3 post_url

Oct 31 12 9:58 AM

I think the people who used to frequent J-Pop sites and communities have gotten older and grown out of posting online all the time or J-Pop altogether. when I think about the people who I used see around, most of them are over 25 now, so they probably don't have the time/energy/desire to be sitting online all day.

the K-Pop fandom is full of 12 year olds with nothing better to do.

Quote    Reply   

#5 post_url

Oct 31 12 2:22 PM

journey wrote:
I think the people who used to frequent J-Pop sites and communities have gotten older and grown out of posting online all the time or J-Pop altogether. when I think about the people who I used see around, most of them are over 25 now, so they probably don't have the time/energy/desire to be sitting online all day.

pretty much this

most j-pop fans don't feel the need to start huge fanwars on every website like k-pop fans so you might not even notice them.

Quote    Reply   

#6 post_url

Oct 31 12 4:09 PM

nemesisyume wrote:
journey wrote:

pretty much this

most j-pop fans don't feel the need to start huge fanwars on every website like k-pop fans so you might not even notice them.

*researches KPOP*
*takes notes from Manrush*

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#7 post_url

Oct 31 12 9:20 PM

chaosakita wrote:
Yeah it's weird... I was 12 when I first really gotten into j-pop and now I'm 18. That's a whole six years.

i was 13 and now i'm 20. that's a whole seven years. i actually thought it would just be a phase, like my white stripes and no doubt phases where, but nope, seven years later i'm still listening to jpopsmiley: rollas disappointed as my family is about this.

Quote    Reply   

#8 post_url

Oct 31 12 11:08 PM

searchme wrote:
nemesisyume wrote:
journey wrote:

pretty much this

*researches KPOP*
*takes notes from Manrush*
I do what I can to keep jpop alive. Thumbsup

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

Oct 31 12 11:45 PM

Well from your last sentence it doesn't seem like you'v been that on top of J-pop yourself! Lol. Or maybe it's because J-pop isn't intrinsically linked to the personal lives of the stars.

I do think age and demographic have a lot to do with it. There are several factors of which I can understand. But when I went to a local con in the summer, I was kind of perturbed by the K-pop panels and videos playing and me being the only person to try to do a J-pop one. Fancy that. At a con for Japanese stuff, you know? I think when it's to this level I feel a bit annoyed and defensive that people are too lazy to look more into J-pop.

Quote    Reply   

seca

#10 post_url

Nov 1 12 12:02 AM

I think it is important to note that the J-pop community seemed to be at its strongest around the same time J-pop in general was booming. Since it has receded and the Hallyu wave has come in with its rise as well as a growing fanbase. I am sure once Hallyu recedes and the next thing comes to take its spot for being the current in thing for Asian music that group of fans will become like the current group of J-pop fans.

Of course in both cases there will always be a loyal and long lasting group of fans but there is always another group of fans that will come to find their liking of J-pop/K-pop to have only been a fad or the kind that just moves on from current popular trend to current popular trend.

I mean the J-idol community is still pretty strong in their own circles, especially AKB48 and Johnny's (with emphasis on Arashi fans) but they have their own sections of the net they can congregate in and probably would not be interested in the larger J-pop community so much.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 post_url

Nov 1 12 12:06 AM

^ That's the thing with us J-pop fans. It's funny that those who don't know any better would say that J-pop is all cutesy shit or whatever, but there's idol fandoms for just the girl and boy groups, and then we have of course the fans that are extremely loyal to the female solo singers, and other people that are more about the urban music or more less popular singers. How can I forget about Vocaloid either. The music styles are just too different for all of us to bond as a larger collective. That's part of the wave's appeal, how standardized the style is.

Quote    Reply   

journey

#12 post_url

Nov 1 12 12:41 AM

yeah, people sometimes forget that K-Pop fans are generally fans of K-Pop as a whole. J-Pop is more categorized and broken down into smaller fandoms (Ayu fans, Arashi fans, AKB48 fans, J-Rock fans) etc. and they interact much less with people outside of that specific fandom. it's much more about specific artists/genres when it comes to the international J-Pop community.

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

Nov 1 12 1:59 AM

I mean the thing is, back in 2008 or so, there were a ton of J-pop review blogs and it seemed a lot easier to keep up with everything. Now there doesn't seem to be a centralized place to be ontop of stuff, so I ended up missing Kumi's marriage and Ayu's divorce. (I even followed her on twitter, although I couldn't read her tweets though)

I remember the good old days of the old j-pop music wiki before it moved to generasia. It had complete oricon weekly chart rankings and people's pages were still being regularly updated.

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#14 post_url

Nov 1 12 8:23 AM

to me, it seems that the jpop community is the same, but that's probably just because a few years ago i never was very much involved with the online community so it was much more extensive than i had thought.

Quote    Reply   

journey

#15 post_url

Nov 1 12 9:42 AM

chaosakita wrote:
I mean the thing is, back in 2008 or so, there were a ton of J-pop review blogs and it seemed a lot easier to keep up with everything. Now there doesn't seem to be a centralized place to be ontop of stuff, so I ended up missing Kumi's marriage and Ayu's divorce. (I even followed her on twitter, although I couldn't read her tweets though)

I remember the good old days of the old j-pop music wiki before it moved to generasia. It had complete oricon weekly chart rankings and people's pages were still being regularly updated.

umm Aramatheydidnt?

and Generasia pages are updated all the time.

Quote    Reply   

#16 post_url

Nov 1 12 10:00 AM

chaosakita wrote:

If you follow aramatheydidnt or tokyohive or jpopasia, you won't miss all the big news.

Btw... for me, it's pretty much the same. I was introduced to Loudness when I was 12, then I got to know Janne Da Arc when I was 15. Now I'm 30. Imagine that. I've gone through yasu low & high twice. I was there when yasu (Janne Da Arc) was nothing, then his band became huge, then he stopped activity even when his band was on the peak, then he started from low again as Acid Black Cherry, then now he's gaining popularity again. Seems like I'm going through some parallel eras. LOL.

Quote    Reply   

#17 post_url

Nov 1 12 11:26 AM

^ I hope there isn't another low then, after all, I've only been listening to ABC since their songs from '2012' so I've only seen them being really successful lol.

I actually thought the J-pop community was pretty big and well updated since I started listening to Japanese music. Of course, I can't compare it to any boom period from a few years ago but it's not like C-Pop which not that many people seem to care about (in English language sites anyway), where you have to dig around to find out some information about singers or music news/releases and maybe then you still can't find it. In J-Pop lots of news stories are reported and it's been easy in my case to find out information about artists I haven't heard of before.

Quote    Reply   

#18 post_url

Nov 1 12 6:14 PM

namiuhsturd wrote:
Well from your last sentence it doesn't seem like you'v been that on top of J-pop yourself! Lol. Or maybe it's because J-pop isn't intrinsically linked to the personal lives of the stars.

I do think age and demographic have a lot to do with it. There are several factors of which I can understand. But when I went to a local con in the summer, I was kind of perturbed by the K-pop panels and videos playing and me being the only person to try to do a J-pop one. Fancy that. At a con for Japanese stuff, you know? I think when it's to this level I feel a bit annoyed and defensive that people are too lazy to look more into J-pop.

I would be annoyed and put-off myself.
Hopefully they dont think that KPOP and JPOP are complements or similar versions of each other.
Thats when it gets offensive.

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#19 post_url

Nov 1 12 6:46 PM

journey wrote:
chaosakita wrote:

umm Aramatheydidnt?

and Generasia pages are updated all the time.
plus the countless tumblr pages. and last.fm.

Quote    Reply   

seca

#20 post_url

Nov 1 12 7:15 PM

uncle Jemima wrote:

plus the countless tumblr pages. and last.fm.

I know that tumblr has become a big thing for Johnny's fans, though there is still a good following still on LJ. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help