Remove this ad

#21 post_url

Apr 23 12 5:18 AM

Kanon no Uta wrote:
Hot news: Preview of her new songs is out on Youtube!!! (Chocolate + Yoake).

I can't find the video. =( =(
Can't wait to hear her new songs ! I really liked her 2nd album and also her releases with kanonxkanon.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#25 post_url

May 11 12 7:08 AM

Kanon Wakeshima Q&A Sakura Con 2012 + Setlist
Posted on May 11, 2012

Kanon Wakeshima performing at Sakura Con 2012 photo by tank9

Tank9 and I had the honor to sit in on Kanon Wakeshima’s Question and Answer session as press at Sakura Con 2012. I was able to document the questions convention goers had for her and her responses. Her personality is sweet, she speaks very softly and radiates a genuine amount excitement towards connecting with fans. On Saturday Night April 7th, 2012 we watched her intriguing performance as the opening performer for Moi Dix Mois. Kanon Wakeshima’s stage presence is theatrical and beautiful, plus her cello playing is amazing! We really enjoyed her live concert, and were able to film the entire set. To check out clips of her performance watch out Sakura Con 2012 Documentary. On Sunday we were able to get her autograph. It was wonderful to see her in person, I have been a fan of hers since she first debuted with her single “Still Doll”. Here is the Q&A and set list from Sakura Con 2012. Enjoy~

Kanon Wakeshima photo session during Q&A photo by tank9

Kanon Wakeshima Q&A

Q: Where do you get your inspiration for your hats and outfits?
A: Mana comes up with the visual styles for my albums.

Q: Are your cellos the same on your albums as in concerts?
A: Cello used while recording is the one I have had since middle school. For concerts I use Red and White Ones.

Q: What is your biggest musical inspiration?
A: I was very influenced by my classical music teachers, they taught me how beautiful music can be.

Q: What influenced you to begin a career with Mana?
A: Mana became my producer, he went to an audition I was playing and watched me play cello and sing, he was interested. I then made Still Doll, the first single song for Vampire Knight.

Q: Were you excited about doing the second theme for Vampire Knight?
A: My first thought to use for the second song was Sandcastle. I didn’t know it would be used for Vampire Knight, then I decided to use it.

Q: Any Future Projects, New releases?
A: I am planning to do a new live concert in Japan, First time in a year. New releases for concert, Written all new songs.

Q: When did you start dressing in Lolita fashion?
A: I always liked cute clothes since I was small. My mother likes cute clothes and influenced me to wear them.

Q: What advice would you give for someone learning to play the cello?
A: I have been playing cello since I was 3. My parents decided that I would play it before I was born. There were times when I thought to quit but never have. I can’t relate to someone who wants to play for themselves. Continue learning and you will be glad you did.

Q: Who is your favorite character from Vampire Knight?
A: Miyuki.

Q: What is your thought process behind the songs you just wrote?
A: People eat meals 3 times a day, and it’s the same with songs. I put feeling into songs similar to the way you eat everyday. Music is like food, I like to serve delicious music.

Q: Other than cello, is there any other instruments you are learning?
A: There are a lot of instruments I want to learn. I was in choir in middle school. If I could learn to play an instrument I would like to play a wind instrument, trumpet or saxophone.

Q: Out of voice actors for vampire knight, who is your favorite?
A: Miyano – Zero.

Q: What made you audition to enter the music industry?
A: Since I was small I have always done classical music. I expected to be a musician and went with the flow. I like art and music, I wasn’t sure which one to choose, then went with music.

Q: How do you like Seattle, How are you enjoying Sakura Con so far?
A: Yesterday I went to a place near Starbucks where there is a golden pig. I find Seattle to be a cute town. I like the fish neon signs. Sakura Con is fun, I like the cosplay and have taken a lot of pictures.

Q: What inspires your music?
A: On album’s many songs were provided by Mana. I enter the world of music, base lyrics on feelings and emotions. I write music and lyrics from my own feelings.

Q: When you draw what kind of style do you like to use, manga, classical style?
A: The reason I started to draw was to draw cute clothes I wanted to wear, that’s how I started drawing.

Q: What is your favorite part of your career?
A: The people who listen to my music, it’s a happy thought that people are listening and are aware.

Q: What else do you plan to do with your art?
A: I have no plans for art projects at the moment. Any projects you want me to do, Please tell me.

Q: Do you have any questions for us?
A: I have a lot of questions for you. There are so many high-quality cosplay, where do you buy it, or do you make it? Also ask about the gap between what anime is popular here and in Japan.

Q: What is your favorite song you have sung?
A: I like all of them, there is so much work into each of them. Hope you listen to them to find your own favorite songs.

Kanon Wakeshima’s Autograph in the Sakura Con 2012 Souvenir Guide

Set list from the Kanon Wakeshima concert
1. Shakespeare no Wasuremono -Prologue-
2. Still Doll
3. Mirror@[Kagami]
4. Kajitsu no Keikoku
5. Odette
6. Marmalade Sky
7. Celmisia
8. The Dollhouse
9. Chocolate
10. Waltz
11. Daybreak [Yoake]
12. Princess Charleston

Quote    Reply   

#30 post_url

May 30 12 4:34 AM

Aah. Shame, but at least she's writing. Has she done any writing before this? I haven't really checked credits on her songs, and I know mana produces most of it anyway

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 post_url

May 30 12 5:14 AM

She had been writing songs for "The strange treat!" shows, and now she continues writing. I usually check her blog so I know.

Breakfast with Blue Note
1 The Strange treat!
2 Heibon na Boku
3 odette
4 Mahotsukai ni Koi wo Shita
5 like a jazz
6 glitter
7 Geijutsuka no Kawaii Sozo tachi

Lunch with Strings

Dinner with Electron
8 Nightingale
9 Neeko
10 Samui
11 Mujyuryoku
12 Ai no Aisatsu

Earth show
13 Yoake

Sakura-con
14 Chocolate
15 Warutsu

Quote    Reply   

#33 post_url

May 31 12 1:47 AM

JameWorld just had an interview with her and she said that she still didn't have any plan for the CD.
Maybe miss Wakeshima wants us to hear those songs in live, not with a CD =.=

Quote    Reply   

#36 post_url

Jun 1 12 10:29 PM

I just read on mocha-blog. The blogger is a fan of Kanon. She went to all of three concerts.

Here is the set list of Lunch with Strings:

1. The Strange Treat! (classical arrangement)
2. New song. (waltz)
3. celmisia (classic ver.)
4. Ningyo Den (The legend of Mermaid)
5. New song.
6. still doll (clasic ver.)
7. New song
8. Kajitsu no keikoku (classic ver.)
9. New song
10. Chocolate
11. Yoake

+ Shakespeare no Wasuremono (with lyrics)

Quote    Reply   

#39 post_url

Jun 7 12 7:59 AM

http://shattered-tranquil...ew-with-kanon-wakeshima/

When did you know that music was in your future?
I started playing music, specifically the cello, when I was 3 years old, and from then on I only ever listened to classical music. But when I entered middle school, I started to listen to Jpop and realized that there are other types of music besides classical out there. That’s when I started thinking about how to express myself with different types of music, and began doing a bit of my own composition at that time.

Can you tell us one fun thing you’ve done during your time in Seattle?
On the day of my live, I went to the Seattle Aquarium. I’ve always loved aquariums, and this was my first time visiting an aquarium overseas, so it was a lot of fun.

Last night, a lot of people heard your music for the first time. How would you describe your music to a new listener?
Do you mean what do I want to convey to my listeners? Well, the basic idea I use to create my music is that as long as I’m alive, there will be may times when I feel happy or sad, and experience a lot of different emotions. I’m always putting those emotions into my songs and lyrics, and when those feelings come across to the people who listen to my music it makes me really happy.

How would you describe the concept of the clothes you wore for your concert?
Since this convention is called Sakura-con, I went with a sakura theme and chose a pink costume this time.

What is the most challenging song for you to perform, and why?
During my lives, I usually sing while I play an instrument, so when I perform a song that doesn’t use an instrument, I have to think about how to express the music with just words, rather than with my cello, so that can be a little difficult.

Since you said you listen to a lot of classical and jazz music, can you tell us some of the artists or composers within those genres that inspire you?
For classical, the person I admire most is actually a musician, rather than a composer, and her name is Jacqueline du Pré. She was a cellist who sadly passed away at a young age, but her performances were so cool–even though she’s a girl, she always gave such strong and powerful performances that left a really strong impression on me. Actually, she’s was one of the people I’ve looked up to from the very beginning, and encouraged me to continue playing the cello. My favorite artist for jazz is actually a musician as well, or rather a duo of siblings from Japan called Les Frères. The two of them play piano duets and perform together, and [like Jacqueline du Pré] put on incredibly powerful performances. They play so vigorously that sometimes the strings of their piano have been known to snap during concerts, and watching performances like that–even on DVD–is really cool and fun to me.

In the past you’ve worked with AnCafe’s Kanon– what was that experience like, and did you feel that you learned anything new from the collaboration?
The concept for KANONxKANON was actually taken directly from anime, as we were making songs specifically for certain anime series. This was the case with both our first and second singles, that were used as the opening theme for 2 different series. But rather than adapting the theme songs around a certain character, we decided to create music that would come as close as possible to the overall feel of the anime as a whole. Then we also created a visual style to match that same original feel of the show, and the overall process was a very creative one. They basically allowed us to create whatever we wanted out of it, so it was a really interesting and fun experience. We were also able to tour something like 7 different countries in Europe last year, which was another amazing experience.

Are there any other musicians you’d like to work with someday?
I’ve been into a French artist named Emilie Simon for a long time, and I love listening to her music, so if I had a chance I’d like to meet her someday (laughs).

You’ve been around Europe and parts of the US recently, but if you could, where else would you like to go, and what would you like to see?
Recently I’ve been really wanting to visit the Czech Republic (laughs). In Czech, there’s a long history of clay animation, or stop-motion animation, and I heard that there’s a museum there that displays some of the dolls that have been used in the films. I really like that kind of dark-fantasy world, so I’d love to go there and visit someday. I’d also like to try going somewhere like Southern Italy or Spain, where the weather is nice and warm (laughs).

What is your favorite part about performing overseas?
The fact that everyone in the audience is happy to see me comes across very strongly and clearly… and now that you mention it, I want to say how thankful I really am for that.

You mentioned earlier that you started playing cello from a very young age, and there were times when you wanted to quit– how did you overcome these feelings?
I’ve been playing for a very long time, and I’ve been lucky to have some amazing teachers and supporters around me to cheer me on. Of course there were times when I wanted to quit, but those people around me, as well as my parents who have always been very supportive, have always told me what a waste it would be if I quit, and how rewarding it would be if I continued; that there would be lots of fun opportunities and amazing people to meet if I kept going. They also taught me how important it is to think about playing the cello as a very reliable and treasured hobby, not as a job, and I think hearing that from a lot of different people definitely helped me continue onward. I also have a lot of friends around the same age that also play instruments–friends who play violin, piano, as well as cello. We sometimes used to get together and play as an ensemble, and I think having that camaraderie is one of the main reasons I’ve been able to continue on this far.

What is something you haven’t done yet as a musician that you would like to try?
I haven’t really done very many live performances in Japan yet, so from now on I’d love to get together with other musicians and write new songs, then put on performances with a “live house” feel to them. Up until now, my lives have mostly consisted of me performing by myself and playing my instrument, with a background orchestra recorded from my CDs, but I’d really like to try performing with other band members, like a violinist, pianist, drummer, guitar, bass… that kind of sound. I haven’t really been able to do a lot of performances like that yet, so from now on that’s what I’d really like to try.

Did you ever want to become something other than a musician when you grew up?
I’ve always really enjoyed drawing, so I wanted to become an illustrator.

How did you decide on your set list for Sakura-con?
For the opening songs, I wanted to pick up certain tracks from my first and second album that everyone knows. Then for the middle of the set, I picked a lot of songs that I had composed myself, and lastly I played songs from my most recent releases, as well as songs I was performing for the first time. I also chose to play a lot of my more classical-influenced songs, since I had a pianist and violinist there, as well as myself on cello.

Is there a particular song you would recommend to new fans?
Hmm which one? (laughs) Well I have a lot of new songs that haven’t been made in CDs yet, so what I really want to do is get those songs out to the fans as soon as I can.

If you could meet or do a collaboration with a classical artist or composer from the past, who would it be?
When it comes to classical composers, my favorites aren’t specifically composers for the cello, but I listen to a lot of Debussy, and also Chopin’s piano pieces, and I like them a lot. For orchestra, I really love Tchaikovsky.

How did the audience from last night’s show differ from your typical audience in Japan?
When I play in Japan, the audience feels almost shy, since they usually watch and listen very silently (laughs). Yesterday the whole audience was really energetic and into the show, which felt really different at first, but they seemed like they were having a lot of fun so I was relieved at that.

Have you noticed any differences between the fans here in the USA, in Europe, and in Japan when you actually meet with and talk to them?
A lot of my fans in Japan almost feel like my Mom and Dad, saying things like “You did a great job today!” and “You worked really hard!” (laughs) And even old grandmas and grandpas! But in Europe and America, there are a lot of fans that say things like “Wow~ I had so much fun!” and it feels like we’re close friends (laughs).

Can you tell us about an interesting experience you’ve had on this trip so far?
For this performance, I had a violinist and a pianist playing with me, and the 2 of them are a lot of fun to be around. When I get excited and energetic, they’re right there having fun with me so it was great (laughs).

What direction will you be taking with your music now?
Recently, the number of songs I write by myself has increased, and I’ve really been trying to put all of the feelings and emotions I experience on a day to day basis into my lyrics. I want to create new songs that convey all of the happiness and sadness that I feel, and I really hope I can perform more both in Japan and overseas, so that I can show the fans how much I’ve grown, and get that kind of acknowledgement from them.

Do you think that becoming a musician means taking a lot of risks and making a lot sacrifices?
Well, I don’t know exactly what I’ll be doing a year or 2 from now, and not knowing what’s going to happen can sometimes make me feel very uncertain about a lot of things. But that’s really what this job is all about– constantly moving forward and creating new music and having to think of new ways of express yourself and your ideas, so I feel like I just really have to do the best I can and give it my all.

Quote    Reply   

#40 post_url

Jun 7 12 12:02 PM

http://shattered-tranquil...-report-kanon-wakeshima/

It was barely 6PM before fans and non-fans but curious attendees alike would begin to conglomerate into what would become a mega-sized line outside the main stage queue area. Yes, people were lining up to go line up! Tonight’s show had attracted many people from other cities, other states, other countries and even other continents.

Although lineups in the main stage queue area was not scheduled until 6:30PM, with the threat of a growing line that would obstruct traffic, people were let in early. Soon enough, the main stage queue area was flooded with fans of Kanon Wakeshima and Moi Dix Mois, and even Sakura-con attendees who weren’t fans but interested. As more people came in, the excitement built up. The tension and anticipation built up with every passing minute. The show was scheduled to be at 7PM, however, it started late at 7:45.

Fans came into the room with a dimly lit stage, with Kanon Wakeshima’s white concert cello, Mikazuki-san, sitting in the center of the stage. To the left was a black baby grand piano, and to the right was a music stand—most likely where a fellow accompanist, perhaps a violinist, would stand. To the left and right of the whole stage were two large screens to provide a fair view for people sitting down in the numerous rows of chairs that were fairly distanced away from the stage and the pit. Fans eagerly stood behind the barricade several feet away from the stage, while press members readied their cameras for Kanon Wakeshima’s appearance.

Finally, “Shakespeare no Wasuremono” cues, and the crowd screams and hushes, ready to see Kanon Wakeshima appear. After Shakespeare no Wasuremono finishes playing, the very famous, gothic-like cello melody of “Still Doll” cues, and Kanon enters from the left of the stage wearing a beautiful, flowing nightgown-esque robe with a corset, lacy and silky balloon shorts and tights. She lifts her cello for the solo and proceeds to sing from her center stage perch. The audience wildly cheers each time she lifts her bow. Still Doll ends, and the crowd cheers and applauds loudly.

Next, a playful tango-like twinkling ensues and Kanon plays her haunting cello solo, soon to be followed by her goosebump-inducing vocals. Her simultaneous playing and singing excites the crowd and evokes cheers. At the end of the song, Kanon takes a long bow and then shyly begins speaking to her audience.

(In English) “Are you having fun? I am Kanon Wakeshima. Do you remember me? Really? I was really looking forward to seeing you. This is my third time to visit USA. First time to visit Seattle. Today I have many new songs. I hope you have fun today. Thank you. This time I want you to enjoy the concert with a pianist. Let’s welcome my friend.” Pianist and violinist enter.

The trio then proceeds to play “Kajitsu no Keikoku“. Kajitsu no Keikoku has a new twist—a piano part and an emphasized violin part. Kanon is playing her cello while standing and her vocals come flawlessly through. In Kajitsu no Keikoku, her impressive range flexes in this song with higher-than-usual vocals. After the song ends, the crowd calls at Kanon in both Japanese and English, and Kanon shyly smiles back.

The next song was one of Kanon’s new songs—“Odette.” The song starts out with a very upbeat piano and high vocals. The style gives the crowd an impression of a cabaret singer. Kanon does not play the cello in this new song, but this does allow her to move and dance freely on the stage. For a portion of the song, she struts to the sides of the stage while her vocals ring out forceful yet smooth with an appealing touch of vibrato. This style of singing and music is a bit different in comparison to how she usually sings, however, it does not have a deterring effect on the crowd at all. In fact, it just builds anticipation because Kanon is teasing that there is much more new exciting things to come!

The stage lights flash in a cute pink and sunny yellow lighting, as plucking from the violinist cues in the next song. “Marmalade Sky” is played in a much jazzier and romantic feel, thanks to the violin and piano accompany, compared to the cd-recording. Kanon sings this song sincerely and breathes life into the song, making it a very emotive performance.

The pink and yellow lighting fades, and Kanon picks up Mikazuki-san again. Her pleading, hushed and urgent vocals combined with the cello gives her fans that are familiar with her music a good idea of what song is next—Celmisia. As Kanon is ‘living’ her music, her hushed vocals unfold and escalate into much more open and stronger vocals. Kanon is smiling throughout the song, and the blue lighting mellows the mood for the more emotive parts of the song. Whenever Kanon was not playing the cello, she was strolls the stage with her bow in hand, and as she does so the audience takes it in, and gives back loud cheers and shouts. After the song ends, she once again speaks to her excited audience. Throughout mc’ing, Kanon is smiling and stumbling a little bit on her words, due to the loud and supportive cheers of her fans.

(In English) “Thank you. Are you having fun? Arigatou gozaimasu!”
“This is my first time in Seattle. I went to the aquarium. What is Seattle famous for? (Crowd yells seafood, space Needle, Starbucks, etc.) “What food is good?” (Crowd yells salmon, coffee, fish, etc.) “Thank you. Arigatou. Minna nihongo ga jouzu desu ne!’ (Everyone is so good at Japanese!) “Next song is Chocolate.”

She quickly corrects herself however, the next song was not Chocolate but “Kuroneko to Pianist no Tango.” The song begins with Kanon playing her cello while standing. The jazzy-tango style of the song is perfectly pulled off, due to the excellent live piano playing. In addition, the song receives a new twist with a romantic violin part. Kanon enters the musical world of Kuroneko to Pianist no Tango as she playfully makes cat-like pawing gestures throughout the song.

Kanon sets down her cello for the next song, and asks her audience to clap along to a faster beat. The tempo jogs around and Kanon moves around the stage before joining in on her cello. The song, is very danceable and upbeat, much like her other new songs.
Kanon then picks up her cello again. The lighting turns to a soft yellow color, as she begins to perform one of her new songs, “Chocolate.” The song was as sweet as the title and very charmingly cute!

The lights turn to blue and Kanon takes a seat on her perch. She begins singing a dreamy love song with the piano playing a lovely ballad. The beauty and sincerity of the song was understood by all, regardless if they knew Japanese or not. At the end of the song  Kanon takes a long bow.

The next song, “Yoake”, which is another new song, begins. Yoake was just as mesmerizing as the previous song but more melancholic in nature. Although there were a few hard notes Kanon had trouble with, they did not detract from the charm of the piece.
Kanon takes a drink of water before speaking to her audience.

“Arigatou gozaimasu! Next is the last song. This song is for the ladies. If you know this piece please clap along.”

The characteristic old west saloon tune of the piano quickly gives away what song is next—“Princess Charleston.” The audience begins clapping right along to the cheery upbeat song. While singing in a playful, protesting and encouraging voice, Kanon actively moves around on the stage and playfully blows a kiss before picking up her cello for her solo. Playful stomping and plucking embellishes the tune, and Kanon makes fun gestures fitting for the song. The audience, enjoying the performance, continues clapping throughout the whole song.

With the end of her performance, Kanon takes a grand bow, and hops in surprise at the thunderous applause from her pleased audience. She moves to the left and right of the stage as well, to bow.

“Thank you.” At this point, her voice was drowned out by cheering. Kanon then quickly takes leave to get to her autographing session which was supposed to begin 15 minutes ago at 8:30. The pianist and violinist take their leave as well. There’s a brief call for encore from the audience, but the background music starts up and the lights fall and Kanon does not make reappearance. The stage is cleared of Kanon’s gear, and then Moi Dix Mois’ emblem appears in the back, signaling that the next show was about to start soon.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help