Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 7 12 7:58 PM

Tags : :

How did you become exposed to Korean popular culture

Through BABY VOX's song "Accident" music video

Even at my original forums Aznpop.com, our sister website is Babyvox.us �(you can still access the gallery if you wantsmiley: laugh) but the forum has been dead like raccoon city since 2008.
The music video's are down thoughsmiley: frown
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Oricon

#1 post_url

Apr 7 12 8:29 PM

You are FLOODING with topics

But I got exposed to it via Ayu's Sexy Little Things which was at the side and recommended videos.

Quote    Reply   

Ikun

#3 post_url

Apr 8 12 11:53 AM

A friend of mine showed me a japanese song of BoA back in 2006, I like it and I searched  her CDs~
my first kpop album ever was her Girls On Top ñ_ñ

Quote    Reply   

#4 post_url

Apr 8 12 12:17 PM

Although I already knew BoA had released Kpop stuff, I started to be interested on it thanks to Rain's fourth album 'Rain's World' and Lee Jung Hyun's discography. After that, I spent a few years ignoring it, til 2NE1 came out and rocked my world! haha

Quote    Reply   

#5 post_url

Apr 9 12 6:26 AM

When I came across by Se7en's clip Hikari and listened to his korean discography. I like it, and then I searched BoA's korean songs.
I listened to her before, but only the japanese stuff. I didn't pay attention that she's korean and not japanese.
I waited for the release of her 5th album, loved and got addicted to kpop.

Quote    Reply   

#6 post_url

Apr 9 12 7:02 PM

I always knew about k-pop about BoA but I never listened to anything else except for her stuff. Then during summer of 2009, I went to HK and Hot Issue was being played everywhere! It got stuck in my head but I still ignored it. Finally it was summer of 2011 and Bubble Pop was a viral hit and that finally converted me.

Quote    Reply   

#8 post_url

Apr 10 12 7:12 AM

BoA would be my first exposure I guess... Back when Every Heart became a "hit" after being used in Inuyasha. But then again, I wasn't aware of K-Pop per-se because from then on I associate her strongly with J-Pop lol.

My second (or third, since I probably knew Rain before but didn't take much notice), and perhaps real, exposure came from watching MTV Asia's Asian Pop segment and SNSD's Gee was played. The song drilled a hole in my mind like that and the rest is history.

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

Apr 11 12 11:27 PM

Pretty much like everyone here I discovered it through artists in crossing over in Japan circa 2005. Particularly Se7en and Rain. Took me a second to latch on to BoA.

Quote    Reply   

#10 post_url

Apr 12 12 5:05 AM

Well, listened to BoA, but I liked her japanese stuff better.. And then Lee Hyori I guess, I have no idea how I came up with her, but I listened to her only for yeaaaars, until SNSD broke into Japan with GENIE And now I'm a regular listener of anything new x)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 post_url

Apr 12 12 12:21 PM

Through Lee Soo Young and BoA (and KISS I guess, who hasn't watched that depressing video?) mainly through their music and videos. Then I got into Kim Hyun Jung and the whole ballad boom of 2006.

Quote    Reply   

#12 post_url

Apr 15 12 5:56 AM

Pretty much surrounded by it my whole life. Most of my high school and middle school were predominantly Korean and Hispanic. I had a lot of Korean friends growing up.

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

May 15 12 4:48 PM

BoA and Se7en. Girls on Top and Passion were the first Kpop songs I ever listened to. Forgot about Kpop for several years. Then read an article about Asian artists debuting in the US (BoA, Se7en, Utada and Wonder Girls back in 2009) I never heard of the Wonder Girls, looked them up and they hooked me with Tell Me and Nobody. SNSD and Brown Eyed Girls followed and I've been listening to Kpop ever since.

Quote    Reply   

#15 post_url

Apr 12 13 1:44 PM

When I met Son Dam Bi pre debut (she was in my dance class here) and she told me she was training to become an "idol" I had no idea about K-Pop music but after I met her I wanted to follow it, then became a huge fan of it ever since then.

Quote    Reply   

#16 post_url

Apr 13 13 2:11 PM

In the 2000s, I listened mostly to Jpop, and was a BoA fan, but never had much interest in Kpop. Until a Jpop blog I followed linked to BEG's Abracadabra in 2009. Been hooked ever since.

Quote    Reply   

#17 post_url

Apr 17 13 7:20 PM

Back in late 2008(like 2 years after I got into jpop) I downloaded this album not even knowing what kpop was.
OsMg23Y.jpg

After that I became a casual listener(lee hyori.Lena park,Lee Jung Hyun). Didn't really get interested in it until 2NE1's "Fire".

BEG's "Sign" became the final nail in the coffin. smiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

Oricon

#18 post_url

Apr 29 13 11:11 AM

mitsuhoney wrote:
When I met Son Dam Bi pre debut (she was in my dance class here) and she told me she was training to become an "idol" I had no idea about K-Pop music but after I met her I wanted to follow it, then became a huge fan of it ever since then.

You were in the same dance class as Son Dambi?! Oh my, that must be amazing knowing you were dancing with her and now she's a famous singer in Korea. I wish I did classes with any future idols as well. How long ago was this may I ask?

Quote    Reply   

#19 post_url

Apr 29 13 3:16 PM

Yes I was.

She was very nice and very passionate, she went by Dam Bi at the time (obviously lol) and her English was mostly conversational but she was able to join in on conversations and what not so I think she knows it pretty well (probably even more so now). This was way back in September 2006, so it was a year before she even debuted with Cry Eye, she was only in my class about four months. When I look back and remember that she (THE SON DAM BI) was standing next to me during dance class I STILL get goosebumps lol

Quote    Reply   

#20 post_url

May 1 13 3:54 PM

I've lived in Korea for far too long and married a Korean. Now I am stuck with it. :p

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help