Remove this ad

#2381 post_url

Feb 5 17 5:20 AM

Futurechecka wrote:
If you guys want to watch the I AM music video.
I am really disappointed in the song, don't ask me why but I've expected something totally different. I thought it would be a badass urban track...

Wow!Thank you! I like the song! And she looks beautiful in the PV! smiley: wink

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#2382 post_url

Feb 5 17 10:10 AM

I also expected a badass urban track, but I'm not disappointed with this song. It's different and it doesn't sound that boring at first.

Quote    Reply   

#2383 post_url

Feb 6 17 2:29 AM

Now let me ask you why you expected an urban track. There is no indication in the title that it was supposed to be any particular genre. I AM is great, by the way, and to like it less only because it's not of this genre or that genre is weird to me.

Quote    Reply   

#2384 post_url

Feb 6 17 7:21 AM

evilsin wrote:
Now let me ask you why you expected an urban track. There is no indication in the title that it was supposed to be any particular genre. I AM is great, by the way, and to like it less only because it's not of this genre or that genre is weird to me.

Because of the title? And considering it's Miliyah? I guess also because "Me" was like that, and "I AM" kinda associates you to that title. And I don't understand your last sentence - it's only natural that people will like a song less if it's not the genre they like more. That's kind of how likes and dislikes work, especially in music. If I like, say, metal less of course I'm going to not be so excited about a new song from my favorite artist that is metal instead of the other things this artist is known to do.

Quote    Reply   

#2385 post_url

Feb 6 17 7:52 AM

mace63 wrote:
Because of the title? And considering it's Miliyah? I guess also because "Me" was like that, and "I AM" kinda associates you to that title. And I don't understand your last sentence - it's only natural that people will like a song less if it's not the genre they like more. That's kind of how likes and dislikes work, especially in music. If I like, say, metal less of course I'm going to not be so excited about a new song from my favorite artist that is metal instead of the other things this artist is known to do.[/left]

That's an extreme example, my point was that pop and r'n'b have much more in common and I AM is a good song and it's not worse just because it's not urban. I don't deny your preferences, but to me it's really weird to dismiss a song because it's not what you've expected.

Quote    Reply   

#2386 post_url

Feb 7 17 1:16 AM

Well, actually I don't think I AM is any good! Even if I had no urban expectations, I wouldn't have liked it!

Hope it won't be include in the album! I am really looking forward to listen to the Dokomademo
The covers are OUT btw, and they are AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!!!!

Quote    Reply   

#2388 post_url

Feb 7 17 2:22 AM

jesus fucking christ THE COVERS
she's so gorgeous i can't

really nice covers now is scaring me that i'll be disappointed with utopia covers
libertys were awful ):

Quote    Reply   

#2389 post_url

Feb 7 17 7:11 AM

@evilsin

Why does that even matter? I didn't say I dismissed the song, I said I liked it despite my expectations. People have expectations based on what they see, it's natural. I don't know why you're so bothered by that - whether a song is "worse" or not is an entirely subjective opinion. No one can come and say that I AM is an awful song and tell everyone else to shut up. So I don't see what's bothering you here so you feel like you have to "defend" the song. Two people just commented that they expected a more urban track from the title, that's all there is to it.

And yeah, the covers are gorgeous! She didn't have such great covers in a while. I wish LIBERTY had similar covers.

Quote    Reply   

#2390 post_url

Feb 8 17 1:29 AM

Skarsgard wrote:
really nice covers now is scaring me that i'll be disappointed with utopia covers
libertys were awful ):

I hear you!! This morning I was thinking those covers would have been perfect for an album, a bit sad they used them just for a single! 
But well, who knows, she might do even better with Utopia covers! Even tho I have a bad feeling she won't even appear on them smiley: wink

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#2391 post_url

Feb 8 17 3:43 AM

@mace63 I've already explained myself. I'm not bothered and not defending the song per se, it's just weird to me to expect something else only based on the title and then feel let down because it's not what you were expecting.

On the topic of covers, the LIBERTY ones were certainly a choice. I still laugh at the one with the close up of her face.

Quote    Reply   

#2392 post_url

Feb 8 17 6:18 AM

evilsin wrote:
^ Yes, but that's not what you said the first time. Anyway, the covers are great, even if reminiscent of HEAVEN.

i'm surprised you haven't pointed out the fact she's inappropriately using the native american war bonnet? i find it insensitive she keeps using it. guess she's never paid attention to no doubt or coachella.

Quote    Reply   

#2393 post_url

Feb 8 17 6:44 AM

@evilsin

Well, all right. I guess you have every right to feel that way - although I still don't understand how you can find that weird exactly. And lmao, yeah, the close up cover of LIBERTY just never can grow on me. no matter how many times I see it.

Quote    Reply   

#2394 post_url

Feb 8 17 7:33 AM

JEWELian wrote:
evilsin wrote:
^ Yes, but that's not what you said the first time. Anyway, the covers are great, even if reminiscent of HEAVEN.

i'm surprised you haven't pointed out the fact she's inappropriately using the native american war bonnet? i find it insensitive she keeps using it. guess she's never paid attention to no doubt or coachella.

Yeah... the covers are great, but that's bothering me. Why not creating an own designed head piece? Something that is, well, more fitting to the theme of Moana e.g.?

Quote    Reply   

#2395 post_url

Feb 8 17 1:26 PM

Yeah it's a bit of a grey line when it comes to Miliyah I think, i've seen a lot of concert pictures of quite a few fans wearing them. But is the cultural appropriation discussion thing like... existent in Japan?

Like over here people would cry blood if someone who wasn't native american wore one of those for anything, when I doubt people in asia would really bat an eye at it

Regardless, still can't deny I absolutely love the covers, I think NA headdresses are absolutely beautiful and she looks great in one, but I still see the problem.

Quote    Reply   

#2397 post_url

Feb 8 17 6:05 PM

evilsin wrote:

it might be because the three songs on the last single were all ballad(ish) and the new a-side is pretty standard pop music, so people were thinking it was about time for a badass urban track. to which i would have to agree. hope there are some This is my partys and WANNA BEs on Utopia.

Quote    Reply   

#2398 post_url

Feb 8 17 7:35 PM

Yeah if i'm talking about my views I don't care that she wore it, it's looks great and she wears them well

I just can acknowledge that some people have a problem with it (tho tbh most of the people I see always bitching and whining about it aren't native american, usually just white or black americans yelling about being offended on behalf of others)

Quote    Reply   

#2399 post_url

Feb 9 17 2:33 AM

The thing is the Japanese are pretty dense about the cultural appropriation, like a lot of them adore Nazi uniforms just because they look cool to them and they don't associate them with Nazis. Considering that the war was worldwide the famous people who wore those would apologize when they were commented on, still I doubt any of them even know that much about native Americans to think about offending anyone.

I know I can get a tad carried away in my opinions, so sorry guys, my only intention is always to keep the conversation going, not to offend.

Last Edited By: evilsin Feb 9 17 7:49 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2400 post_url

Feb 9 17 6:18 AM

Yeah, you're probably right that they don't know much about native Americans and it's not even in their mind that it could be offending. Speaking of offending, at least from my side - don't worry about it.

Regarding her urban tracks - she probably is keeping them for the album. Unless she changes her sound completely.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help