P r o f i l e

Stage Name: Koda Kumi / 倖田來未
Birthdate: 13 November 1982 (Showa 57)
Blood Type: A
Hometown: Kyoto

Hobbies: Shopping, Goods.
Favorite Sport: Squash
Favorite Type of Music: Hip Hop
Favorite Dish to Cook: Niku Jaga (Beef and Potatoes)
Favorite Saying: Ikkai ichi e (Once in a lifetime chance)
Favorite Colors: Purple and green
Favorite Season: Summer
Favorite DVD: Haneru no tobira
Favorite Brands: D&G and H・A・K
Favorite Food: Okonomiyaki, 100% Fruit Juice, Perrier
Favorite Japanese Artists: Toshinori Yonekura, Sukima Switch
Favorite Western Artists: Christina Aguilera, Nelly, Pink, Pharrell Williams
Something She Can't Be Without: Love
Favorite Part of Her Own Body: The "kori kori" of her waist.
Something Often Unexpected: 'No smoking & no alcohol'
Something Unacceptable: Lies and deception
Special Ability: To be able to talk until her voice goes hoarse.

U p c o m i n g   R e l e a s e s   

54th Single: 恋しくて
2012.12.05 on sale

【CD】
01. 恋しくて
02. Alone

【DVD】
01. 恋しくて (Music Video)
02. 恋しくて (Making Of)

Last Edited By: If You SeeKumi Oct 26 12 8:31 AM. Edited 60 times

Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 post_url

Feb 24 12 5:23 PM

If Kumi had been able to do more promotion for this album herself, like interviews or live performances do you think it would have sold better or not made much of a difference?

#4 post_url

Feb 24 12 5:30 PM

^ Definitely better as we always see Music Station and other platforms for live performances help boost any artists album sales. The issue is how much more lols if she picked the right song to promote then it should match Deja Vu sales. With the current trend of J-pop, the safest choice would either be Love Technique or Brave. Japanese public seems to lose interest in R&B / hip hop/ urban / dance music which is her core genres lols

#6 post_url

Feb 24 12 5:58 PM

I guess it will always be a case of what could have been. It's really sad this album didn't do better chart wise. Maybe she'll make up for it by going overboard with the promo for her next album. Hopefully the quality will be just as good.

Speaking of the next album, considering the baby plus she could take a extended period off after the baby is born as part of the maternity leave, it could be a long time before she returns right? Luckily I still need to buy some more of her older albums so that can keep me occupied lol.

#7 post_url

Feb 24 12 6:30 PM

Seven wrote:
I guess it will always be a case of what could have been. It's really sad this album didn't do better chart wise. Maybe she'll make up for it by going overboard with the promo for her next album. Hopefully the quality will be just as good.

Speaking of the next album, considering the baby plus she could take a extended period off after the baby is born as part of the maternity leave, it could be a long time before she returns right? Luckily I still need to buy some more of her older albums so that can keep me occupied lol.

As someone said earlier I think we'll get a December single to go along with her 30th birthday concert scheduled for later this year + they'll be able to use all the year end shows to promote the new single.

#8 post_url

Feb 24 12 8:31 PM

If You SeeKumi wrote:
I think she would have sold 100k first week and probably about 180-220k total.

Your numbers are off. Her albums have not doubled their first week sales for a very long time (since Black Cherry).

I dunno if it was posted, but last week's sales for JAPONESQUE were substantially lower than Dejavu's fourth week...

#9 post_url

Feb 24 12 8:48 PM

JEWELian wrote:
If You SeeKumi wrote:
I think she would have sold 100k first week and probably about 180-220k total.

Your numbers are off. Her albums have not doubled their first week sales for a very long time (since Black Cherry).

I dunno if it was posted, but last week's sales for JAPONESQUE were substantially lower than Dejavu's fourth week...
I'm not really sure how much promo they intended to do but your right. She probably would've stopped at around 170k.

Also regarding JAPONESQUE I noticed that drop as well. Lets hope that Love Technique tie-in can help the album reach the 150k mark and I'll be satisfied. Also while the Dejavu Live CD is limited to fanclub only I'm curious to see how it sells.

#10 post_url

Feb 24 12 9:13 PM

Not even 170k, if she sold 100k first week she would've sold ~150k. Her last two studio albums sold around an extra 50% of their first week sales (Dejavu - 135k first week -> 211k total = an extra 76k. ~56% of first week sales; TRICK - 250k first week, 390k total, 140k extra, ~56% of first week sales).

And we won't find out the sales for the Dejavu Tour live album, fanclub releases aren't counted on Oricon.

Remove this ad

#11 post_url

Feb 25 12 10:20 AM

If You SeeKumi wrote:
As someone said earlier I think we'll get a December single to go along with her 30th birthday concert scheduled for later this year + they'll be able to use all the year end shows to promote the new single.
Oh that doesn't sound too bad, I hope it happens like that.

#12 post_url

Feb 25 12 5:49 PM

Why is Dejavu tour (hongkong / taiwan version) taking so long to be released T_____T so desperate to get my hands on it!! If anyone has bought the jap version and watched the concert, could you share your thoughts/ ratings on her latest concert? =p

Last Edited By: LiLo Feb 25 12 5:59 PM. Edited 1 time.

#13 post_url

Feb 25 12 6:12 PM

in hindsight after watching it a few times I would give it a B+

not as good as Universe and Fantasia,but better than TRICK and Kingdom

if you don't like ballads then it would be lower since that section is long,but I enjoyed it, the only part I didn't like was the magic part

#14 post_url

Feb 25 12 6:23 PM

LiLo wrote:
Why is Dejavu tour (hongkong / taiwan version) taking so long to be released T_____T so desperate to get my hands on it!! If anyone has bought the jap version and watched the concert, could you share your thoughts/ ratings on her latest concert? =p

It was a nice show. The first segment was AMAZING, tho she could've skipped Aitakute. The second segment, the ballads one was beautifully sung, but a little bit too long. The third one, cutesy, had one of her worst looks ever, and ChoitashiLife, but it can't compete with the awfulness on the Kingdom Tour one smiley: roll The encore was really nice, that split <3. Overall, not one of my favorites, but it was really entertaining

#15 post_url

Feb 25 12 6:34 PM

Hmmm, well here are my thoughts of the Dejavu concert.

Watching the my copy of the Blu-ray, I have to say I was extremely impressed with the show as a whole. Granted, the show is quite ballad heavy, but given the mood of the country following the quake, I had a feeling the show would be tweaked accordingly since it was pushed back and many thought she'd cancel it.

Starting with the costumes, I very much enjoyed most of them. The opening costumes were very eye-catching and really flattered her figure. The gowns she wore during the ballad segment were quite lovely. I enjoyed the dance outfit too. I wasn't a fan of the closing outfit, but then again her encore outfits have always been questionable lol. I don't think anything could top the awkward encore outfit she wore for Dream Music Park haha.

As for the music, I really can't complain. As I mentioned earlier, the concert is quite ballad heavy. If you aren't a massive fan of Koda ballads, then you may have some issues with the concert, since the ballad segment is the highlight of the show IMO. The opening segment is flaw free. POP DIVA was the perfect choice to open the show, and I was quite happy to see Black Candy included in the setlist. The ballad segment is as I said my personal highlight. It proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Koda Kumi IS one of the best vocalist in the J-Pop industry today. Take away the wigs/weaves, the gowns, the nails, and the dramatics and Kumi will always be a first-class vocalist at the end of the day. Anata Dake ga gave me goosebumps, as did the always amazing walk. The cute segment was enjoyable, It worked much better in this show thanks to the "Candy Factory" theme. I did enjoy the dance segment with At The Weekend and the encore was very fun. You are not alone was very emotional. You could feel the lyrics touching people in the auidence who had experienced some sorrow or heartache because of the quake. I found myself humming the song as she sang and she really connected with the crowd. I can only imagine how it was to actually hear the song in person and experience listening to those supportive words. I was a bit nervous about the Lick me ending the concert, but it ended up working very well. There was great energy in that peformance and I can see why she wanted to end the show on a light note. In hindsight the only weak song choice was PLC, which just fell a bit flat after all the other good song choices.

The stage design was amazing for a hall tour. It's probably the one of the most expensive looking hall tours I have seen in quite awhile. The lighting was almost always on point and the visual effects were very enjoyable. Oddly enough it was the ballad section where the effects and stage design really came alive IMO.

There were only 6 dancers with her this time, and they were as usual very good. As a longtime Koda fan, Shinta is a favorite of mine and MAIKO was her usual HBIC self.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Dejavu tour. As a hall tour, it's better than the one for ~Second Session~ mainly because she's grown as a performer and as a vocalist. I also rank the tour as her third best overall live show behind the UNIVERSE and Black Cherry tours.

#18 post_url

Feb 25 12 7:56 PM

^ thanks for all the reviews!! I am more excited to see the concert now =) I was worried given the stage and audience is much smaller than her previous tours, the ambience would be less impressive =p I just find having the subtitles on hk/ taiwan version better for my viewing as my jap is on the same level as kuu english LOLS and I think I would enjoy the ballads section! After watching the Billboard Live, I was so impressed by her vocal performance~ the cd version doesn't do her live version justice =p If any of u guys haven't bought the Billboard Live dvd, do it now lols its so EPIC!

#19 post_url

Feb 25 12 8:06 PM

I have never seen Japanese celeb wedding photos (or anything related to it like the couples together outside a press conference) unless they are talents,models or not as famous singers and actresses, the only person I stan who had photos was Erika Sawajiri *____*

I hope she had a party or something even though it was a shotgun wedding

#20 post_url

Feb 26 12 5:49 AM

Maybe a wedding photoshoot for magagazine then... could be awesome!
(remember "promise" wedding dress ♥ )

But I want a photoshoot with a Kuu pregnant and a big belly before ♥

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help