Remove this ad

RicH

#61 post_url

Jul 17 15 5:10 AM

wow I really like CKAY.... Great news, I am looking forward for the future details!

* still hoping for the 'big 3' (Ayu, Kumi & Namie) to collab on a single tough... *

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 post_url

Jul 17 15 7:32 AM

RicH wrote:
* still hoping for the 'big 3' (Ayu, Kumi & Namie) to collab on a single tough... *

If this ever happens then the hell can surely freeze over.

Quote    Reply   

#65 post_url

Jul 17 15 2:13 PM

RicH wrote:
wow I really like CKAY.... Great news, I am looking forward for the future details! happy.gif

I think this would be a good collab too.

Quote    Reply   

#66 post_url

Jul 17 15 2:28 PM

Two of my J-faves TOGETHER? WHAT? If true, and it's likely true, this will be as good as BoA X Daichi and ALMOST as good as the Namie X Daichi collab of my dreams that apparently will never happen ever (since Namie has moved on from Nao'ymt for now).

Quote    Reply   

#68 post_url

Jul 20 15 10:39 AM

RicH wrote:
wow I really like CKAY.... Great news, I am looking forward for the future details! happy.gif

If this will ever happen, it really should be around like.. now
I don't know how I would feel when they decided to collaborate in their 40s.

Quote    Reply   

#70 post_url

Jul 23 15 11:12 AM

I would say no to a collaboration between Ayu, Namie and Kumi, all are so different and their voices don't match together, I hated these mash-ups always.
To Namie I've got a question; was she ever certificated out of Japan?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 post_url

Jul 23 15 11:32 AM

Serdar wrote:
To Namie I've got a question; was she ever certificated out of Japan?
Certificated? like if her album or single was certificated outside Japan? I believe there is none, I can't recall her releases being certificated outside Japan though, all of the counts (including overseas) are being certificated by RIAJ, correct me if I'm wrong, like for example, her single "How to be a Girl", it managed to sell more then 770k copies, which looks like a 3x platinum certification, however, RIAJ certified it as million seller, I'm really not sure how they work it out on those certification, but I don't really remember to have any of her releases certified outside Japan Smile

Quote    Reply   

#72 post_url

Jul 23 15 12:42 PM

Yes that's what I want to know.

RIAJ counts "shipments" in Japan only; since Japanese CDs are market in other countries like Hong Kong, Taiwan or South Korea their sales aren't related to RIAJ, because the music labels in these countries have their own productions (which is cheaper than if the "original" labels would produce for these countries) - it's why there are "Hong Kong" editions etc.

That would be like an American artist released something in Europe, it sold well and the certification counts to the United States of America - that's not possible in music industry.

Sad the certification system in Taiwan is weak, when I look on the G-Music Charts etc. she's charting well (but G-Music isn't reputable they have no standards of the IFPI).
I wonder if there are artists of Japan who are certificated in other countries?

Last Edited By: Serdar Jul 23 15 6:28 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#73 post_url

Jul 23 15 1:48 PM

Serdar wrote:
Yes that's what I want to know. smile.gif

RIAJ counts "shipments" in Japan only; since Japanese CDs are market in other countries like Hong Kong, Taiwan or South Korea their sales aren't related to RIAJ, because the music labels in these countries have their own productions (which is cheaper than if the "original" labels would produce for these countries) - it's why there are "Hong Kong" editions etc.
we all do know that Oricon isn't the only source of sales of an artist (eg. Soundscan) but it plays a major role like it's US counterpart (Billboard), it is just what bothers me is a huge gaps between what RIAJ certifies and the sales that is being brought up by Oricon, like with the case of Uncontrolled, here in our country, it was released in a Hong Kong ver., which maybe the case that RIAJ somehow may count shipments not only in Japan alone, but some shipments which maybe released internationally. I can cite the example of First Love which soled 7.6 million copies and yet RIAJ certified it as 8x million seller, which means that the 400k less copies may've been shipped internationally, from what my understand of how RIAJ works on those certifications based on "shipments"

Quote    Reply   

NATE

JPC Admin

#74 post_url

Jul 23 15 2:01 PM

RIAJ is not counting international sales.

Shipments means the number of copies shipped to retailers. Stores purchase albums in bulk and the RIAJ records those bulk shipments. That's why you get round numbers from RIAJ and not exact totals. The discrepancy between Oricon numbers and RIAJ numbers is due to the fact that sometimes stores will order more copies than will be sold (overestimating the popularity of a release). Oricon sales numbers are statistic based on POS (Point-of-sale) purchases, when a shopper buys a CD from the store. Stores try not to bulk purchase more copies than what will sell, but predicting that stuff is not a science. Stores will always buy more copies to sell than what will actually be sold.

It's not certificated btw, just certified. If the countries that sell her music have certifying boards, I'm sure she has some. CAN YOU CELEBRATE sold 200,000 copies in Taiwan. So, if they certified back then in Taiwan, she definitely has one for that.

This is a list of certifying associations and Hong Kong and Taiwan do have them.

Quote    Reply   

#75 post_url

Jul 23 15 6:26 PM

I would not count up to 200,000 related to the list and say "so much platinum she got" in fact they changed their standards over the years but still interesting, where do you got the information of 200,000 copies sold in Taiwan? I remember Utada was close to get gold in South Korea; she needed 500 copies to get it.

Quote    Reply   

NATE

JPC Admin

#76 post_url

Jul 23 15 8:02 PM

I wouldn't either, which is why I didn't specify any kind of certification.

It's one of the many old factoids about Namie I remember. The proper sources for information that old simply don't exist anymore (in Japanese since the Japanese routinely delete old articles, I can't look up Chinese stuff). Her Japanese wikipedia page mentions it also. Maybe a Chinese speaking/reading member is willing to see if any Chinese sources still exist.

Quote    Reply   

#78 post_url

Jul 24 15 7:40 AM

I also thought this was certificated lol
That's so interesting! There is another thing I want to know; On the English-speaking Wikipedia someone wrote that "Feel" sold more than 400,000 copies but the information we've got from Oricon says she was only near to do so, does this album really sold over this mark? And how is your reaction on the sales of "Genic" compared to "Feel"?

Quote    Reply   

NATE

JPC Admin

#79 post_url

Jul 24 15 8:49 AM

Since FEEL sold very close to 400,000 according to Oricon's numbers, it's very possible that Avex's internal numbers for the album are over 400k. Remember Oricon's numbers are actually estimations based on a formula and not the real number of copies sold. Sometimes it's sold more, sometimes less. This is why Soundscan numbers are different too, because Soundscan is based only on POS information from stores directly. Oricon also doesn't count everything, like the total number of CDs sold from concerts and events. Anyway, I'm not aware of Avex releasing internal numbers for FEEL, so that information on wiki is probably not legitimate.

_genic sold/is selling what I expect it to. My earlier predication said it would sell close to 250,000 total. In the long run, I think it will sell between 225k to 240k depending on its longevity. I know people think these numbers are bad/poor, but realistically speaking the album has no hits and no tie-ins. This is an album being sold based solely on her name, so I think the result is still pretty good. The album with hits or not, was probably never going to outsell FEEL. Even if it had a hit, I don't think it would have sold too much more than 300k not with the continuing dwindling of sales in the market.

Quote    Reply   

#80 post_url

Jul 24 15 1:39 PM

OT: I find her Wikipedia a huge mess! citing reviews from some unknown sites and blogs, and even giving out false information (eg. we all know that Love Story was filmed in London, but some anon. wrote that she filmed it in LA), I know some of you may find this petty, but it actually bothers me at some point.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help