Remove this ad

#4401 post_url

Dec 10 12 4:41 PM

Are we getting the 2013 thread tomorrow?

Remove this ad

#4402 post_url

Dec 10 12 5:28 PM

I was hoping EXILE/atsushi would be able to pull a little more with their releases, so that EXILE can have a 2nd album in the top 10, but with this "best" being released way too soon i also had my doubts. EXILE can be pretty consist with album sales so i am hoping for 900k-ish total, i think 800k would be more realistic tho...

Another Million seller for akb48, congrats to the girls, they have dominated the top 5 singles once again.

#4403 post_url

Dec 10 12 8:22 PM

linlin wrote:
is there anything special about AKB's theater editions? like photocards or tickets to the theater shows or different content/songs?

It has a different c/w song but what the wota cares is a ticket to attend kobetsu handshake event (while the limited normal versions have national handshake event tickets). The difference between them is you can handshake with the girl you want (among 200+ girls of all 48 groups) for kobetsu events in Tokyo, and the handshake time is longer (around 10 seconds), while normal events only feature limited AKB48 member i many cities and hs time is much shorter. Theatre version must be pre-ordered online and there is limited handshake timeslot for each girl so for popular girls so it's somehow like lottery. And if you lost, you can't purchase this theatre version smiley: roll

#4405 post_url

Dec 10 12 9:06 PM

@nackar and others for that mater I wouldn't pay too much attention to inyoface and the other hardcore AKB stans. Let's no forget what happend back in August when they released Gingham Check and people went crazy. I don't understand the undying need to defend idols or musical acts and people trying to make exceptions/conditions for them and what not.Their record is good and I've commended them on that before, but it's not going to last forever. 

Idk I just think all this hardcore defending just opens people up to flaming later on especially when the act they stan starts to decline.

I'm thinking ayu will do like 30-40k and maybe more if she has a big adjustment due to the day this mini was released. And Mr.Children to have about 70k-80k for their second week since sense did about 95k
So was this the last week of 2012 or the first of 2013?

Last Edited By: Eien Dec 10 12 9:09 PM. Edited 1 time.

#4406 post_url

Dec 10 12 9:48 PM

Eien wrote:
@nackar and others for that mater I wouldn't pay too much attention to inyoface and the other hardcore AKB stans. Let's no forget what happend back in August when they released Gingham Check and people went crazy. I don't understand the undying need to defend idols or musical acts and people trying to make exceptions/conditions for them and what not.Their record is good and I've commended them on that before, but it's not going to last forever. 

Idk I just think all this hardcore defending just opens people up to flaming later on especially when the act they stan starts to decline.

I'm thinking ayu will do like 30-40k and maybe more if she has a big adjustment due to the day this mini was released. And Mr.Children to have about 70k-80k for their second week since sense did about 95k
why would people be mad that gingham check is doing bad..........
i like akb and i have no problem saying that their sales are slowly declining.
And gosh, do you see the bashing thrown at akb, most of them aren't even about sales but rather that "Derp their popularity is fake"  "derp, nobody actually likes them because their music sucks" etc etc,  in this case, #s don't lie, the sales are still insane by today's standards.  (If you want an example of what we deal with, read page 218 )

whitedove wrote:
^ An AKB fan would be able to fill you in better, but generally, they're (confirmed? not sure about this) tickets to handshake events. And they can sell 700k-800k of those alone. Have they sold over 900k of that though? Does anyone know?

Manatsu no sounds good past 900k, or was very close...... very very close.

Last Edited By: IceHism Dec 10 12 9:54 PM. Edited 2 times.

#4407 post_url

Dec 10 12 11:43 PM

I have no idea why but if you go to page 159 and 160 you can see what I'm talking about. It was a little ridiculous, but I'm not gonna lie I laughed a little. Even more now after digging it up again.

Yeah I've heard stuff like that. They like a lot of other artist do get tons of attacks, I think it just comes down to the maturity of the fans and how they handle it. Which you seem to be handling pretty well.The handshakes contribute to their sales and there is no denying that, but they did achieve their popularity for a reason and some of them must have talent to contribute to that.

I think that will all things in considerations the standards are kind of (not entirely) similar. Like in the 90's the economy was much better and more people bought physical CD's which would help acts say B'z at that time. With AKB48 they have a theater where people can actually go and see them perform/ buy merchandise and they have special events and multiple versions, which used to be counted separately on Oricon. I'm not saying what they are doing now isn't great or trying to take away from their accomplishments, but when you look at the whole picture they do have a slight advantage over some acts.

But yeah I think it all comes down to who you respond to and who is actually giving a valid point and not just talking blindly.

#4408 post_url

Dec 11 12 12:00 AM

------ wrote:
Eien wrote:
^ With regards to the 48 groups I'm under the impression that their single sales have been inflated because of their senbatsu elections. I guess people buy their singles and can choose I think it's like 21 members or something to be the center of a certain single and other singles have events tied to them. I'm not entirely sure I just remember a fan saying something about their sales increasing drastically when compared to right before they started doing it.

This is the problem when someone gives an opinion about a subject they are completely ignorant about. Next time, try reading about a subject first before posting. There's a site called wikipedia which could give you information on any topic. Just for your enlightenment, there is only one senbatsu election in a year, AKB48 built their fanbase over a span of five years. They are already 'idols you can meet' since their inception and gimmicks has been a part of their act. And no, their sales explode when they released River which became their first number one single. It's not an election single.

Sorry for the double post but I think this goes to show what I mean by the maturity of fans. Despite saying I wasn't sure and I got the info from a fan who has an akb48 site I really don't understand why such a response was warranted since I said nothing mean or negative about the group. A simple explanation like oh, they gained popularity by performing and have certain events tied to certain single and a senbatsu single is only once a year or the likes of that would've been nice, but nope. I think this is a prime example of how fans make people dislike a certain artist and/or their fan base. 
Removed the user name out so to not be calling anyone out.

#4409 post_url

Dec 11 12 1:12 AM

nackar wrote:

I somehow doubt anyone but AKB48's management is benefitting from their high sales... but then I'm not an expert on the workings of the industry so eh : P

I wanted to jump on the quoting wagon. You guys forgot me! And i'm like the main character of all AKB48 discussions. smiley: pimp

To sum it up, if your not within the top 50. To my knowledge their salary isn't even appealing. Atsuko only brought in like 500k annually (from King Records Alone). This is disregarding sponsors, tv-spots, individual works, etc. So making a predictor of the whole group is easy but in the dynamic scheme, it's not a even paying field across the board. 

I'm a bit ashamed of how some fans act. I know bias is hard to avoid but hey I recognize my own biases. But a great deal of my comments never target another user unless it's addressing something that should be pointed out. Honestly I welcome the flop gif.s and slurs on my girls. It's a voice. But when it becomes personalized "you don't reed" "are you ignorant" "whats the deal with you?" it's another level I don't sit well with.

For the Gimmicks and Stuff. We got a entire thread on that.
To sum up my opinion. The whole music industry is primarily filled with gimmicks. The Billboard/Oricon/Soundscan is a gimmick. Would you still like your favorite Jpop artists if there isn't a oricon? It's up to you how important it is to you. I've been a AKB48 fan since day 1...when atsuko doesn't know the verb smile and miichan cried at almost every miracle moment in a theater with half full seats. I didn't even know they were successful until someone pointed out to me Heavy Rotation stampeded the scene as the new "it" song. 

Here is some examples of what goes around (Almost every artist falls here, poke me if you know a example mainstream artist that doesn't)
Limited Editions..it's gold
TypeA,TypeB,TypeC 
Cool looking covers
Handshake Tickets Event TicketsStuff for fans to meet bands
I'm going to release a single every week until people notice me 
OMG it's my anniversary! 
It's a charity single but only 7% goes to charity
If you buy all 5 editions...it'll match up to a cool picture as a puzzle.
Buy this and you'll receive a free poster!
Shh!!! I won't tell you anything until the day before
I'll only autograph CD Singles at my events from now on.
Jankenpon!
Let's kiss each other but not call it homosexuality.
Wow your almost naked.
I'm going on hiatus but not telling you when!
I'm already on hiatus but my label is still releasing stuff that I have no complete control over.
Happy birthday! 
This fan club requires me to buy a single to participate. 
Cheaper editions in this tough economy.
I'm hosting a females/males only concert just for you guys ;)
Currently holding a Oricon record of a consecutive streak that only my fans care.
Every single has a trading card, but I only got Yuko
Wow this is cool, a message written by my artist.
This best album has no new songs, but i'll remix some to change it up.

You know I was having fun typing it all out so I feel it's essential to understand my own guilts in these gimmicks before I start stretching my fingers to point out anothers favorite.

AKB48 - 1.073mil - 10th consecutive million, 16.5 years after B'z achieved the record
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/confidence/2019542/full/
Wow Great! Looks like they have another record in reach.

I think Frozen Soul or Nackar should create the Oricon 2013 thread. And post Yearly2012 as the first post....
Pleasesmiley: wink

Last Edited By: Miichan48 Dec 11 12 1:42 AM. Edited 2 times.

#4410 post_url

Dec 11 12 1:22 AM

Shinnosuke wrote:
AKB48 - 1.073mil - 10th consecutive million, 16.5 years after B'z achieved the record
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/confidence/2019542/full/

EXILE - 382k - tied with Mr. Children for 2nd most number 1 albums for male category (B'z is 1st).
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/confidence/2019543/full/

YUI:
GREEN - 117k
ORANGE - 116k
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/confidence/2019544/full/
So only YUI got within my prediction. All good though!

Eien wrote:
AKB's last single of the year is usually released in the last week for that Oricon year, so this should be the last week for Oricon 2012.

Last Edited By: whitedove Dec 11 12 1:31 AM. Edited 1 time.

Remove this ad

#4411 post_url

Dec 11 12 1:40 AM

Eien wrote:
------ wrote:
Eien wrote:
^ With regards to the 48 groups I'm under the impression that their single sales have been inflated because of their senbatsu elections. I guess people buy their singles and can choose I think it's like 21 members or something to be the center of a certain single and other singles have events tied to them. I'm not entirely sure I just remember a fan saying something about their sales increasing drastically when compared to right before they started doing it.

This is the problem when someone gives an opinion about a subject they are completely ignorant about. Next time, try reading about a subject first before posting. There's a site called wikipedia which could give you information on any topic. Just for your enlightenment, there is only one senbatsu election in a year, AKB48 built their fanbase over a span of five years. They are already 'idols you can meet' since their inception and gimmicks has been a part of their act. And no, their sales explode when they released River which became their first number one single. It's not an election single.

Sorry for the double post but I think this goes to show what I mean by the maturity of fans. Despite saying I wasn't sure and I got the info from a fan who has an akb48 site I really don't understand why such a response was warranted since I said nothing mean or negative about the group. A simple explanation like oh, they gained popularity by performing and have certain events tied to certain single and a senbatsu single is only once a year or the likes of that would've been nice, but nope. I think this is a prime example of how fans make people dislike a certain artist and/or their fan base. 
Removed the user name out so to not be calling anyone out.

i won't deny that there are sensitive fans in all fandoms.  That's just how some people are.  Nothing much one can do.
From the way i see it is that akb's sales actually started to skyrocket at the end of 2008 after moving from Sony to King's record. (King's record must be wizards or something, they made a group selling 18k 3 versions (romance irane)  -> 50k 2 versions (Oogoe Diamond) ), the way i see things, the senbatsu election never affected sales significantly until Manatsu no Sounds Good came out.  (River and iiwake outsold namida surprise, heavy rote and beginner outsold ponytail no chuchu, and Flying get outsold everyday kachuusha)
AKS trapped themselves in a chaotic situation and now they're slowly declining while AKS reacts with all the wrong moves.  The true test will be the upcoming sakura single they release in febuary.

You could say events contributed to a fanbase that didn't want to leave the fandom but the amount of sales increase they did during 2010 is absolutely phenomenal.  Nobody else in this period of time could go from 170k(River) -> 330k -> 500k -> 501k -> 810k(Beginner), they did take a sharp dive with chance no junban which sold 570k and that was the janken single.

#4412 post_url

Dec 11 12 2:03 AM

Bashings thrown at AKB:
1) Terrible music?
2) Sales gimmicks?
3) No talents?

For 1), it's completely subjective. So anyone chooses to critisise AKB for such topic will lose and prove to be immature instantaneously.
For 2), undeniably gimmicks did boost sales significantly. All up to you whether you want to accept it as still being a great accomplishment.

For 3), Even AKB fans are critisising AKB itself when speaking of talents, less say from the general public. An example is when speaking about Sashihara Rino, about her having no talent, can't sing, can't dance, can't act etcs, and hence doesn't deserve No. 4 in the elections. While the truth is, she's hugely entertaining enough (particularly in variety shows) to offset her weakness, and being such an entertainer is certainly a legit idol, and of course in addition to other basic things like being friendly with fans.

Some AKB fans defends how AKB work very hard to finally achieve recognition over the years, while at the back they are critisising AKB members like Sasshi, who also works hard and achieves her fame over the years (27, 19, 9, 4 in elections). This, I find it tragic.

#4413 post_url

Dec 11 12 2:07 AM

Shinnosuke wrote:
Bashings thrown at AKB:
1) Terrible music?
2) Sales gimmicks?
3) No talents?

For 1), it's completely subjective. So anyone chooses to critisise AKB for such topic will lose and prove to be immature instantaneously.
For 2), undeniably gimmicks did boost sales significantly. All up to you whether you want to accept it as still being a great accomplishment.

For 3), Even AKB fans are critisising AKB itself when speaking of talents, less say from the general public. An example is when speaking about Sashihara Rino, about her having no talent, can't sing, can't dance, can't act etcs, and hence doesn't deserve No. 4 in the elections. While the truth is, she's hugely entertaining enough (particularly in variety shows) to offset her weakness, and being such an entertainer is certainly a legit idol, and of course in addition to other basic things like being friendly with fans.

Some AKB fans defends how AKB work very hard to finally achieve recognition over the years, while at the back they are critisising AKB members like Sasshi, who also works hard and achieves her fame over the years (27, 19, 9, 4 in elections). This, I find it tragic.

We have an entire thread for bashing and defending, bring it over there. smiley: smile

#4415 post_url

Dec 11 12 2:28 AM

The Yellow Brick Road wrote:

We have an entire thread for bashing and defending, bring it over there. smiley: smile

My main purpose is not to bash or defend anything, but just talking about the ways some fans bash and defend something illogically, which exists in every artists fanbase I guess. I shall maintain any further discussion neutral here.

#4417 post_url

Dec 11 12 3:11 AM

^And Mr.Children are still in second on Soundscan. Not too bad at all. That likely means 82-90k weekly on Oricon based on the number.

#4418 post_url

Dec 11 12 4:00 AM

Unofficial:

年間アルバム
*1 1170298 ミスチル(marco)
*2 1105080 ミスチル(micro)
*3 1029954 AKB
*4 847671 嵐
*5 767274 EXILE(JAPAN)
*6 757831 桑田
*7 693650 コブクロ
*8 612507 ミスチル(オレンジ)