Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 18 11 8:37 PM

Tags : : , ,

(from left: Yuasa Shohei, Koide Yuusuke, Sekine Shiori, Horinouchi Daisuke)

Base Ball Bear is a four-piece band from Tokyo that was first formed in 2001.  The four members, Koide Yusuke (vocals, guitar, lyrics + compositions), Sekine Shiori (low vocals, bass), Yuasa Shohei (guitar), and Horinouchi Daisuke (drums, chorus), originally intended to only perform once at a festival in 2002, but ended up staying together.  Notable influences include SUPERCAR (the band was originally called PLANET after the popular SUPERCAR song) and Oasis (Yusuke formed an Oasis cover band called THE MASTER PLAN, the name of an Oasis compilation album). After releasing a single, two mini albums and one album under the independent BLITZ・PIA RECORDS label, the band signed with EMI (formerly Toshiba-EMI) in 2006.

Latest Release

Fanfare ga Kikoeru / senkou_hanabi (16th Single)
Release Date: 2013.11.27

01. Fanfare ga Kikoeru 
02. senkou_hanabi 
03. Fanfare ga Kikoeru (Karaoke Version) 
04. senkou_hanabi (Karaoke Version) 

Discography

Links

Official Website
EMI Website
Twitter (Koide Yusuke)
Twitter (Staff)

Last Edited By: BanFan Oct 27 13 4:27 PM. Edited 23 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 post_url

Aug 19 11 8:11 AM

Thanks for making the thread! It's great someone finally made it
Such a great band, can't wait for their next album! Really loved Yoakemae and now I'm gonna listen to short hair

Quote    Reply   

#3 post_url

Sep 14 11 1:44 AM

Their new album Shinkokyuu (新呼吸) is coming out November 9th!!  Their second video clip collection is out the same day, with a total of 14 videos.

Above is the not so interesting cover for their new single, and here's a radio rip of the first a-side track.

Quote    Reply   

#4 post_url

Sep 14 11 10:15 AM

Can't wait for the album ^^ it goes out just 1 week after YUI's, gonna be a nice month Also thank you for the radio rip! Didn't know it was out, love it!

Quote    Reply   

#9 post_url

Oct 15 11 11:42 PM

Here's the album tracklist: 

01. 深朝 (Shinchou; Deep Morning)    
02. ダビングデイズ (Dubbing Days)
03. school zone
04. 転校生 (Tenkousei; Transfer Student)
05. スローモーションをもう一度 (Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido; Once More in Slow Motion)
06. short hair
07. Tabibito In The Dark
08. ヒカリナ(Hikari na: Light*)
09. 夜空1/2 (Yozora Nibun-no-Ichi; 1/2 Night Sky)
10. kodoku no synthesizer
11. yoakemae (hontou_no_yoakemae ver.)
12. 新呼吸 (Shin-kokyuu; New Breath)
I wonder how much "Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido" will differ from the "Part.2" single version.  Added the clip collection tracklist to the first post, and it looks like it'd make for a really nice second disc to a compilation album.  I'm surprised they haven't released a real one, considering they have nearly six years worth of EMI material, but I guess they also haven't had any massive hits to warrant one.

I wasn't sure how that title should be translated with the "na" at the end. E5616568bd4e8991cba4bb392105821777defba3_r

Quote    Reply   

#10 post_url

Oct 28 11 3:18 PM

I found 2 album songs promos!

school zone radio preview
It sounds sweet, and slightly has an "old western" feel.

There's a 30 second preview for Hikarina played during a trailer for the LISMO drama [REPLAY & DESTROY]
It has a very BBB chorus, I think it sounds like a new Dramatic or Changes.

I'm guessing that Hikarina is some sort of nickname for a girl who exudes bright light. It also makes me think, Hikari+Ballerina

Also, I saw the song lengths of the album tracks, Slow Motion part 1 is a much longer song than part 2, it's 6:35!! Maybe it's a slower paced song, or maybe it has an intro/outro transition like they did with Kamigami LOOKS YOU.  The new Yoakemae is slightly longer than the original too.

I really liked Slow Motion part 2 (even though it sounded a lot like summer anthem) so I look forward to part 1. It's weird that it didn't get a PV, but it's still considered an A-side. I wonder why they didn't wait to release it after the album if it's meant to be the 2nd song of the series.

About the cd cover, I don't know what it means, but the thin vertical line down the center at the top was also on the (What is the) Love & Pop cover, maybe it's somehow a continuation of a past idea. There seems to be a similar approach of a very intentional placement of songs on the tracklist to create a story, I've always appreciated this about Base Ball Bear. The 1st track begins with morning, then dubbing days, you have school zone, then transfer student, (can't yet figure out anything connection slow mo & short hair) Hikarina is placed between the 2 songs that mention dark & night. Kodoku is loneliness which ties in with the lyrics of Yoakemae. Yoakemae is before the dawn, it could be like a continuous cycle if you loop the album. 

I wonder if Tenkousei is at all related to Transfer Girl or BOYFRIEN°C.
Shinkokyuu was also a lyric in Changes.

I really hope there is a Shiori lead on this again!
Yozora Nibun no Ichi was co-written by Chatmonchy's Bassist, acco (the mystery woman in Kuchibiru Detective)
I didn't see anything confirming if she sings this time.

I'm most excited about Kodoku no Synthesizer, it seems like it would be really experimental and a different sound from them. Possibly Sakanaction influenced, since the 2 front men are close friends.

Last Edited By: pucchibest Oct 28 11 3:50 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 post_url

Oct 28 11 4:50 PM

That's a really nice analysis right there, thanks for sharing that with us and welcome to the forum!
I'm really looking forward to the album cause I loved their "3.5th" albums and their latest singles (yoakemae pv is so mindfucking that I love it xDD) and it looks like there's quite some long tracks.

Can't wait!

Quote    Reply   

#12 post_url

Nov 3 11 2:03 AM

Base Ball Bear 10th Anniversary Special 25-Hour Program "The Live Non-Fiction, 25 Hours, Fall 2011" will be streamed on Nico Nico on Fri, 11/11.
Starts at 4:00am JST.

-All songs and PVs from indies era to present and select live clips will be played.
-New album "Shinkokyuu" listening and member commentary.
-Special live "GARAGE no KOIDE-san NIGHT 3 ~Shucchou Nico Nico MAPLE HOUSE~" at 22:30-23:30 JST.

You need an account to watch and you can use timeshift to watch it later.
Nico program page: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv69228844

Info: http://www.baseballbear.com/news/index.html

How to use timeshift:

Last Edited By: karenaihana Nov 3 11 2:16 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#13 post_url

Nov 8 11 3:11 AM

This album's on my Christmas list, but I'm still dying to hear it.  Should be up in the usual spots in the next 24 hours . . .

pucchibest wrote:
Slow Motion part 1 is a much longer song than part 2, it's 6:35!! Maybe it's a slower paced song, or maybe it has an intro/outro transition like they did with Kamigami LOOKS YOU.  The new Yoakemae is slightly longer than the original too.

I really liked Slow Motion part 2 (even though it sounded a lot like summer anthem) so I look forward to part 1. It's weird that it didn't get a PV, but it's still considered an A-side. I wonder why they didn't wait to release it after the album if it's meant to be the 2nd song of the series.

There seems to be a similar approach of a very intentional placement of songs on the tracklist to create a story, I've always appreciated this about Base Ball Bear. The 1st track begins with morning, then dubbing days, you have school zone, then transfer student, (can't yet figure out anything connection slow mo & short hair) Hikarina is placed between the 2 songs that mention dark & night. Kodoku is loneliness which ties in with the lyrics of Yoakemae. Yoakemae is before the dawn, it could be like a continuous cycle if you loop the album. 

Yozora Nibun no Ichi was co-written by Chatmonchy's Bassist, acco (the mystery woman in Kuchibiru Detective)
I didn't see anything confirming if she sings this time.

I'm most excited about Kodoku no Synthesizer, it seems like it would be really experimental and a different sound from them. Possibly Sakanaction influenced, since the 2 front men are close friends.
According to this interview, "Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido" on the album is actually a completely different song, with a reggae style.  Yusuke said they have shared motifs, but there must be completely different lyrics, music, or both.  And your theory is correct: the album has a sort of "life cycle" or "day in the life" concept, with the outro of the final track fading out into the fade-in of the opening track.  

"Yozora 1/2" was co-written with that Chatmonchy person, but they didn't have time to record vocals together.  Yusuke wants to record the song again with her as "Hontou no Yozora 1/2" (The Real Yozora 1/2).  It's unclear to me what he says about the two versions of "yoakemae", but it sounds like the album version is just a slightly tweaked, completed version.

And I've never been one to ship, but I have a feeling that Ichiro (Sakanaction) and Yusuke are secretly dating. Cute

Quote    Reply   

#14 post_url

Nov 8 11 5:56 PM

Yamaguchi & Koide? That's funny. I guess they would work as a pair in the sense that they match each other and have similar hair. I always figured that Koide was only concerned about 17 year old girls.

It looks like there are a bunch of album interview articles online, there's a fairly long one from Natalie.mu

I didn't understand much of it, but it's funny to note that this is the first full album that doesn't mention "LEMON" in any of the songs. Cfe360fd6c85b4ff44bd8c20945cc1911023de3c_r
He left this year's lemon lyric with Nanba Shiho's Kodona no Kaidan. It's a very cool song.
Weird, I can instantly think of the songs that mention lemon in each past album. He also uses the word "flashback" a lot.

I found previews of each track and this album sounds great so far. listen.jp   or  mora
My CD is already on its way...

I'll definitely be playing Dubbing Days & Tenkousei A LOT.
I like the guitars in Kodoku no Synthesizer. The last track has to have some sort of twist because it's almost 7 minutes long. That can't all be caused by the fade out.

Quote    Reply   

#16 post_url

Nov 11 11 12:50 AM

It took a while to warm up to it, but after about three plays, I think it's a really strong album; it's my favorite from them so far.  I could do without "school days", since it sounds they're regressing, and I wish they'd just put in "Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido part.2" instead of the "original".  I think the only difference in "yoakemae" is the extended intro, but maybe the lyrics are slightly altered too?  It was sort of a letdown that the fade-out from "Shin-kokyuu" to back into "Shinchou" wasn't all "endless loop"-y like I was expecting.

My favorite track has to be "Tenkousei".  It sounds like they're channeling Southern All-Stars! Cfe360fd6c85b4ff44bd8c20945cc1911023de3c_r 

Quote    Reply   

#17 post_url

Nov 11 11 6:27 AM

I have only given it 2 listens but I liked the 3rd album and the 3.5th concept albums quite more. At first listen I really didn't feel anything interesting in the album, at 2nd listen it sounded better and started to recognise some songs. My favourite so far not including the singles is the last track, it's pretty nice.
Will give it more listens during this weekend

Quote    Reply   

#18 post_url

Nov 15 11 11:42 PM

Which Southern All Stars songs are similar to Tenkousei? They've been around more than 30 years, I wouldn't know where to begin. I thought the influence was more related to Sakanaction's sound. They kind of shared a documentary inspired album theme too. It's rare to hear Base Ball Bear sing as a 4 piece chorus. It was interesting and a nice surprise.

Looking at the lyrics, I think "ヒカリナ" represents the name of a figurative blooming flower. They only mention it written in that form at the very end of the song, all other times it's "光りな"

I could be way off, but I think the chorus mentions that the light is growing inside of the girl, (When I looked up "育った", it mentioned that it can be used to describe the growth of plants) Maybe the end of the song is saying that the light bloomed like a flower.

About the loop effect of the album, I think this might have mentioned something else about it.
From page 2 of this excite interview:

2曲目の「ダビングデイズ」で歌ってますけど、当初はループするアルバムにする予定だったんです

I wasn't sure what to make of this phrase. Is it saying that they originally planned to use Dubbing Days for the album's looping track?

I noticed that Track 2's ending works with Track 1's fade in. A few of the album tracks have very specific extended fade out endings. It sounds like they considered intros and outros a lot more than with past albums.  Interesting that Kodoku no Synthesizer even has a line that references a fade in.

I really like the minimal packaging of the album. However, I wish that the booklet had more song specific imagery, like Love & Pop or HIGH COLOR TIMES. It looked like a poetry book, and the format was read right to left. A first for them. It was really simple, but very elegant.

I see why they didn't, because the album has extremely long lyrics, some spanned several pages. Also, there was a minimalist approach. I bought the limited "paper-case" CD, I wonder if there was a different booklet for the regular version...

Quote    Reply   

#19 post_url

Nov 16 11 10:37 AM

I can't read japanese but I think this is like an explanation/timeline of the album songs, this was posted on their official twitter:

1.深朝(4:00)アルバム制作のかなり早い段階で出来ていました。キーの上げ下げが何度かあったんですが、このキーじゃないと『深い朝』の空気が出ま せんでした。タイトルの『深』は「新呼吸」の『新』にかかっています。イントロの「あの音」は「イーボウ+ワーミー」で作りました。

2.ダビングデイズ(7:00)アルバム中、最もアレンジに時間がかかりました。曲が長くはない分、小技に工夫を施す時間がかかりまくりました。詞曲全体 で「ループ」を表現しています。3rdの頃の気持ちを引きずっていますね。このアルバムの「結果」が、ここにならなくてよかった。

3.school zone(9:00)リアルに相当さみしい歌詞だと思います。笑 この歳になって初めて感じた気持ちです。元々予定していた僕のギターパートのはまりが悪く、REC時にすべて変更しました。シンプルな楽器構成ですが、絡 み合うギターパートがよく出来たと思っています。

4.転校生(13:00)「Transfer Girl」の続編にあたる曲です。結果的に同タイトルですね。笑 全編僕のギターがステレオで入っています。イントロ/間奏/アウトロの「wow wow~」パートはみなさんの歌パートですので、現場ではよろしくお願いします。笑 任せた!

5.スローモーションをもう一度(16:00)ナンバリング的にはこちらが『part.1』です。『夕方ジェネレーション』を経て、『レモンスカッシュ感 覚』を経たあとの曲です。「原風景が暴れ出す瞬間」という感じでしょうか。何気に歌詞はエロいです。恒例のレゲエ/ダブコーナーです。

6.short hair(17:00)具体的かつ、抽象的な歌詞を目指しました。相手との関係性はある程度は分かるものの、決定的ではないです。高校生の恋のようでもあり、不倫や浮気のようでもあり、今は亡き人を想うようでもあり。

7.Tabibito In The Dark(19:00)制作の最初の頃からありましたが、着地が見えずにいて。その間に世間やプライベートで『2011年の』様々な事が起きて。それらを 経験して、悩んで、やっと完成した曲です。この曲が出来て、アルバムの行き先も見えました。

8.ヒカリナ(21:00)タイトルが「Tabibito〜」と対になりつつも、続けて『光』についての曲です。シングル候補でもあった曲ですが、あえて やめました。洗練させることで、確実に失われるものがあったからです。歌うことで、「光りな」と自分にも言い聞かせている気がします。

9.夜空1/2(24:00)詞をチャットモンチー福岡晃子と書きました。メールのやりとりで作りました。タイトルは僕が決めていて、踏み込んだテーマを あっこが決めてくれました。『すべてのさよならが、悲しいだけじゃない』『さよならをしても、相手の幸せを願うことは罪じゃない』。

10.kodoku no synthesizer(26:00)僕にとっての孤独感はきっと慢性的なもので。『消えない継続音』という例えがしっくり来たんだと思います。幸せとは 別腹で。詞には「僕」しか登場せず。家から一歩も出ず。いつもの夜に、いつものように聴こえてくる音です。

12.新呼吸(29:00)はじめからアルバムを聴いてきて53min地点。曲の後半、チャイナスケールになるところで、 音と視界が開けていきます。何気なく作ったパードではあったんですが、この部分を作れて本当に良かったです。自分で自分を導けたような感覚がしています。

Then they posted some more from the singles B-sides I think, which I guess are related then too:

ex1.スローモーションをもう一度 part.2(12:00)『大勢の中の自分』になる時間。本当の自分らしさっていうのは、ファッションや、思考が被ろうが、自分らしくいられるかどうか だと思うんです。「自分で選んでいく感覚」。擦り合わせだけでは、どうりで見つからないわけで。

ex2.ido(14:00)呂布と一緒に作りました。最初は『いろんな乗り物大集合』な曲にしようかと思っていたんですが、気付けば「孤独感」に関し て、アルバムの後半に繋がっていく内容になっていました。中盤の僕の歌パートは「スティングになりたい!」のコーナーです。笑

ex3.Fragile Baby(18:30)「30分刻み」にしてあるのは、アナザーストーリー的な設定といいますか。アルバム「新呼吸」は常に「僕」の視点で動いていきます が、この曲は唯一「誰かの話」です。そして、彼女にも新呼吸はあるはず。ライブでかなり上がる曲です。

Quote    Reply   

#20 post_url

Nov 23 11 1:05 AM

why oh why have I never listened to this band? They're freaking rad!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help