Remove this ad

#1941 post_url

Dec 10 12 9:04 AM

I hope she goes full force with this Japanese comeback... and that Japan really thinks she is Japanese to them due to her extensive history in Japan. Cuz being Korean in Japan is getting harder and harder... and I don't want to see this jumpstart fail due to racism.

Remove this ad

#1942 post_url

Dec 10 12 9:10 AM

Uhplus wrote:
raito7 wrote:
BoA is a Utada fan too (like I expected...). Old video of her researching Automatic and ID Peace B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5nT2y0pUaes
I don't think BoA was Hikki's fan or whatever. She also mentioned she used to sing 'CAN YOU CELEBRATE?' often...

I don't see her as a die hard fan, more as a casual listener, you know, she probably checks Utada stuff when it's released and all, and she probably does it with other Japanese singers as well. At least if she decides to jump in the cover album trend we know she's gonna do it well.

I don't like the idea of translating The Shadow to Japanese, it's really cheap. I was expecting a Japanese B-side or something. I hope after this single is coming a new album with new J-pop sounding material and tour.

#1943 post_url

Dec 10 12 11:04 AM

geoff wrote:
I hope she goes full force with this Japanese comeback... and that Japan really thinks she is Japanese to them due to her extensive history in Japan. Cuz being Korean in Japan is getting harder and harder... and I don't want to see this jumpstart fail due to racism.
Unlike them irrelevants tho, BoA is pretty a much a legend in Japan, right up there with Hikki, Namie, and Kumi. Being Korean isn't the problem. The problem is that shit-factory avex keeps giving her floppy releases like that shitty Weekend song instead of the flawlessness that was Eien. But she's young tho so she still have time. Anyone know when her slave contract with that Korean company ends? She needs to break ties with them and avex asap.

#1945 post_url

Dec 10 12 1:26 PM

I love both songs and the Japanese version of "Only One" was already expected. I just wonder why they'd take so long to release this song in Japan - the momentum "Only One" had is far over now. Even Tohoshinki's "Catch Me -if you wanna-" will be released first, and they filmed the Japanese and Korean videos simultaneously, while we know BoA hasn't for either songs.

BoA's previous single "WOO WEEKEND" in 2010 was an AVCD release, and "Only One/The Shadow" will be AVCK (a code only used for K-Pop releases). Is she shifting to a K-Pop image in Japan as well?

#1946 post_url

Dec 10 12 4:30 PM

Seriously? Two Music Videos? Are we gonna get the quality of the VIVID single PVs? :/

I was more excited about the fake Kimi Ga Inai song

#1947 post_url

Dec 10 12 5:31 PM

Oh sweetie, no.  I can understand why she'd re-release ONLY ONE but The Shadow is a piece of shit. If I was part of the SOUL fanclub, I'd be PISSED.

Also shameless edit, but I was just looking back at the Wishes/Fears/Hopes of 2013 and I listed "BoA going on autopilot for her Japanese comeback" as a fear. Looks like I may have jinked it smiley: eek

Last Edited By: miss29 Dec 10 12 5:37 PM. Edited 1 time.

#1948 post_url

Dec 10 12 9:07 PM

Polyrhythm wrote:
geoff wrote:
Unlike them irrelevants tho, BoA is pretty a much a legend in Japan, right up there with Hikki, Namie, and Kumi. Being Korean isn't the problem. The problem is that shit-factory avex keeps giving her floppy releases like that shitty Weekend song instead of the flawlessness that was Eien. But she's young tho so she still have time. Anyone know when her slave contract with that Korean company ends? She needs to break ties with them and avex asap.
True, but even Tohoshinki weren't invited to year-end show(s?) due to growing racism (even though it wasn't admitted). And they actually sell really well... I'll be prayin for BoA~

#1949 post_url

Dec 10 12 9:16 PM

BoA is considered a local act in Japan. I bet alot of Japanese people don't even know she's Korean!

#1950 post_url

Dec 11 12 2:28 AM

Well if BoA is committed to a Japanese comeback she will NEED and I mean NEED either a commercial or a drama tie-in for this single and appear in magazines and TV programs.

If the single doesn't get any extensive promotions no one will care. The last BoA "hit" in Japan was White Wishes and, for such a basic ass but pretty song, it became successful because of the game-tie in. Without that tie-in it would've went down the road of VIVID.

I have low expectations, as usual. I'm not here for K-pop BoA, I'm here for J-pop BoA.

EDIT:

P.S. BoA cannot compare to Namie Amuro or Ayumi Hamasaki. BoA is around the same level as Koda Kumi though. But as of this day Koda Kumi has more success than BoA in Japan.

Last Edited By: glimmeringneon Dec 11 12 2:31 AM. Edited 1 time.

Remove this ad

NATE

JPC Admin

#1951 post_url

Dec 11 12 3:10 AM

SM's thing now seems to be promoting all their acts in Japan as part of the Hallyu wave. It's a shame for Tohoshinki and BoA since they've had legitimate success without having to be tied to a stupid fad. I think it's a mistake especially as Japan seems to be turning their back on Kpop as a whole. They may end up as casualties of a backlash they don't really deserve. It makes you wonder what SM really wants. Do they want all of Japan to accept BoA or do they now only care about the Zainichi Koreans buying her crap?

#1952 post_url

Dec 11 12 3:26 AM

glimmeringneon wrote:
P.S. BoA cannot compare to Namie Amuro or Ayumi Hamasaki. BoA is around the same level as Koda Kumi though. But as of this day Koda Kumi has more success than BoA in Japan.
Ayu and Koda are at the same level nowadays.

#1953 post_url

Dec 11 12 5:29 AM

BoA is more on the level of Ai Otsuka, Kimura Kaela, etc in terms of past and present success. She doesn't compare to Ayu, Kuu, Namie, etc neither past nor present.

Anyways, to be back on topic hopefully this single can sell 10k with a lot of promo and maybe the album could reach 40k or so if they do a great job at promoting. 

Last Edited By: If You SeeKumi Dec 11 12 5:32 AM. Edited 1 time.

#1954 post_url

Dec 11 12 7:51 AM

ARUTO wrote:
glimmeringneon wrote:

Thank you.

#1955 post_url

Dec 11 12 11:33 AM

BoA to hold first solo concert in Korea since debut

It has been announced that BoA will be holding her first ever solo concert in Korea since her debut almost 13 years ago! The singer has held numerous concerts and tours in Japan, but she had yet to hold one in Korea on her own until now.

SM Entertainment confirmed on the 11th that the concert entitled, ‘BoA Special Live 2013~ Here I Am~‘, will be held at Seoul’s Olympic Hall on January 26th.

BoA is expected to showcase her superb singing and dancing skills as well as her flexibility as an entertainer through the performances, increasing fans’ anticipation for this exciting event.

Ticket reservation will be held through Gmarket‘s homepage starting on the 2oth at 8PM KST.

Tip: Miles

Source: allkpop

About time...

#1956 post_url

Dec 11 12 12:55 PM

ARUTO wrote:
glimmeringneon wrote:

Wow, what an insult to Kumi.

#1957 post_url

Dec 11 12 1:13 PM

Polyrhythm wrote:
ARUTO wrote:
glimmeringneon wrote:

Wow, what an insult to Kumi.

It's actually true that Kumi's more popular today, but Ayu has that "legend" thing that Kuu doesn't have...

#1958 post_url

Dec 11 12 1:58 PM

Ayu is on a higher level than Kumi in terms of like overall status though. I'm not trying to insult Kuu, I'm a fan of her as well. I listen to Kuu more than Ayu.

But Ayu has that, as Negi calls it, this "legend" status thing, it's hard to explain. Ayu is a lot more "diva" in a sense that she is extremely extravagant and frivolous, and she has had a lot more cultural impact than Kuu. And I believe Ayu has been active a lot longer than Kuu as well, remember Ayu's idol and actress days, before she was a full time singer.

#1959 post_url

Dec 11 12 2:05 PM

Ayu and Kuu overall status really isn't even up for debate as probably no other female is above Ayu in that besides Yumi Matsutoya but I thought you were only meant recent. 

At the end of the day now though in 2012, Ayu's legend status isn't going to help her sell those records (as we can see with again bombing at #7 this week). Hopefully BoA and Avex do have some sort of plan for this comeback. 

#1960 post_url

Dec 11 12 2:45 PM

Legendary status doesn't mean much, when that same person has done nothing but tarnish their achievements and legacy with silly stunts/bullshit.

BoA needs a tie-in that will spark massive interest in her again. At this point, I don't know if Avex Trax are willing to invest that much into an artist focusing on 3 territories with lukewarm results. I'm hopeful that they will put a real effort into this single, but given the past 3 years......

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help