Remove this ad

#1981 post_url

Dec 22 12 9:17 AM

Everytime I hear BoA sing in english, I remember just how horribly nasal her singing voice is.
It is a real shame, because she is a talented vocalist (especially considering how much ability as a dancer she has, it's rare to find a pop singer with as much technical skill in both singing/dancing).
But as she's matured, her tone has become more and more nasal and hard to listen to.
And it's the one thing a vocalist can't really change.
Even if she sings a song with the perfect amount of technique and emotion, I just can't get over the natural tone of her voice in recent years.

Remove this ad

#1982 post_url

Dec 22 12 4:53 PM

Odyism wrote:
Everytime I hear BoA sing in english, I remember just how horribly nasal her singing voice is.
It is a real shame, because she is a talented vocalist (especially considering how much ability as a dancer she has, it's rare to find a pop singer with as much technical skill in both singing/dancing).
But as she's matured, her tone has become more and more nasal and hard to listen to.
And it's the one thing a vocalist can't really change.
Even if she sings a song with the perfect amount of technique and emotion, I just can't get over the natural tone of her voice in recent years.

I remember the days during LISTEN TO MY HEART, VALENTI and LOVE&HONESTY when BoA had this strong, non-nasal, richer and very bold sounding voice. It sounded very powerful... and when she hit the softer notes it sounded more natural.

I would say during THE FACE we saw a bit of a comeback with her non-nasal and richer voice. I think a lot of it has to do with the producers, vocal coaches and composers that BoA is working with. A producer will ask the singer to sing in a specific way. I remember in the earlier days BoA still had a lot of vocal training and her voice was less strained sounding.

I was just listening to LOVE LETTER a minute ago while typing this, she had a richer and non-nasal voice in that song I find, generally during THE FACE era like I said she kind of stopped the nasally sound but it returned with IDENTITY until the present.

#1983 post_url

Dec 22 12 7:41 PM

I think some time around Best of Soul and Love & Honesty we saw the transition in her voice.
Her head voice started to shift a bit, and she could hit higher notes with ease but she lost some of her power. But it seemed quite natural for her.

I remember her doing performances of LTMH & Valenti, and hearing how much more comfortable she was singing with the soft head voice (rather than her chest voice she uses on recordings). But it didn't sound too nasal.

Sometimes she sounded way too shrill, but there was always a nice balance of power and the higher notes (such as songs like soundscape, Kimi No Tonari De).
I think with each new JPN release, her voice started to become a bit more shrill and nasal.
But I don't know if this is just her voice naturally changing or if it is just for her Japanese career.

#1984 post_url

Dec 24 12 8:41 AM

AGGRESSIVE is arguably one of BoA's best songs. BoA could release this song in 2013 and it would fit right in. This song alone proves that BoA can be an Electro/Synthpop/Trance/Dance artist.

I want Electro/Trance BoA ! I want an entire BoA album doing that. Lady Galaxy, Outgrow and AGGRESSIVE, and some other songs.

I'm bored with this R&B-I'm-stuck-in-late-90's-early-2000's-I'm-trying-to-be-the-Asian-Janet-Jackson-but-not-on-the-same-level-as-Rhythm-Nation type of BoA à la Only One and Hurricane Venus.

AGGRESSIVE/OUTGROW/LADY GALAXY>>>>>>>HURRICANE VENUS/ONLY ONE.

Last Edited By: glimmeringneon Dec 24 12 8:43 AM. Edited 2 times.

#1985 post_url

Dec 24 12 10:46 AM

You know...the fact that you put Hurricane Venus and Only One in the same category (of r&b of all things) is very telling.
Or perhaps it's that you've compared Only One and Hurricane Venus to Janet.
Or that you think Rhythm Nation is a late 90s-early 2000s sound. haha.

BoA has had Janet sounding songs....but it surely isn't Hurricane Venus or Only One.
No Dance No Life pretty much has Janet written all over it. I think it's even a sample.

Anyway I think BoA can be any type of artist she wants. She has planted the seeds to really go in any direction she wants (from r&b to electro to jazz, etc). It's really just a matter of making that effort to create a cohesive body of work.

#1986 post_url

Dec 24 12 12:59 PM

Odyism wrote:
You know...the fact that you put Hurricane Venus and Only One in the same category (of r&b of all things) is very telling.
Or perhaps it's that you've compared Only One and Hurricane Venus to Janet.
Or that you think Rhythm Nation is a late 90s-early 2000s sound. haha.

BoA has had Janet sounding songs....but it surely isn't Hurricane Venus or Only One.
No Dance No Life pretty much has Janet written all over it. I think it's even a sample.

Anyway I think BoA can be any type of artist she wants. She has planted the seeds to really go in any direction she wants (from r&b to electro to jazz, etc). It's really just a matter of making that effort to create a cohesive body of work.
No I'm not saying Only One or Hurricane Venus sounds like Janet. Nor am I saying Rhythm Nation is late 90's or early 2000's. But BoA is obviously a highly technical dance artist who more or less is trying to follow the footsteps of Janet Jackson, like all female dancing artists, which isn't a bad thing, its a good thing that she's an excellent dancer.

BoA suffers the same syndrome as Koda Kumi, the "I can do all sorts of genre but I don't really master any of it" syndrome. Except Koda Kumi has the slutty, sexy and fierce image with a heavy rock sound to fall back on, which she is well-known for. BoA is just that singer that's good at dancing with overall okay-sounding songs, people don't associate her with any sort of sound or image. The closest is R&B-influence but it isn't doing BoA any favors, both in Korea and Japan. The R&B style BoA does is pretty early 2000's and late 90's style. My siblings who grew up listening to R&B and Hip-Hop in the 90's tell me BoA's "R&B-esque" songs such as Only One for example sound rather outdated or very 90's.

Overall I guess you can say BoA still has no clear definate image or sound people associate her with, which makes her easily forgettable. There isn't really anything iconic about BoA... she has yet to create an icon of herself. I feel BoA needs to have an era where she clearly defines her image and sound, because right now she's spreading herself too thin doing Rock then R&B then Dance, and none of them are really memorable. This is also a reflection of her career, she has no focus anymore. After she stopped focusing in Japan, after her failed American debut and now her average career in South Korea, where does BoA stand really? Ready for retirement? Oh how the mighty BoA have fallen...

Last Edited By: glimmeringneon Dec 24 12 1:04 PM. Edited 2 times.

#1987 post_url

Dec 24 12 3:02 PM

really? My image for BoA is actually what soemthing between midtempo and ballad. I have a pretty clear vision whcih I cannot put in word (in english at least).

#1988 post_url

Dec 25 12 1:22 AM

Oooooh my god. I'm taking a stroll down memory lane (aka American BoA), and I just found out that the official SMTOWN Youtube had the audacity to upload the "Diane version" of the Eat You Up video. I'm shocked.

#1989 post_url

Dec 25 12 4:00 PM

sora2522 wrote:
Oooooh my god. I'm taking a stroll down memory lane (aka American BoA), and I just found out that the official SMTOWN Youtube had the audacity to upload the "Diane version" of the Eat You Up video. I'm shocked.

The Diane version, really cool and epic concept but horrible and cheap execution.

BoA was supposed to be like the modern version of a 1960's supermodel partying in NYC and hooking up with a hot guy then a sexy dance scene in a barren inhospitable landscape or something, that was the original concept for Diane version... Then they added the cheap "ghetto scene" and stuff, just horrible... horrible styling and execution. Also no budget! But I thought the guy looked pretty hot.

DO THE MOTION and KEY OF HEART are probably BoA's most high budget music videos.

#1990 post_url

Dec 25 12 4:16 PM

I remember that alternate version with BoA in the blonde wig. I miss that version, lol.

Remove this ad

#1991 post_url

Dec 25 12 6:25 PM

jpopfanatic83 wrote:
I remember that alternate version with BoA in the blonde wig. I miss that version, lol.
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#1992 post_url

Dec 25 12 6:43 PM

jpopfanatic83 wrote:
I was trying to see if I could find that one for my frind! But I could only find the alternate version for the official music video ):

#1996 post_url

Dec 26 12 1:36 AM

sora2522 wrote:
LeeLeeNeko wrote:
Omg the Diane version is so bad lol... The version with BoA wearing a blond wig is this one? Cfe360fd6c85b4ff44bd8c20945cc1911023de3c_r

http://www.wat.tv/video/boa-eat-you-up-alternate-us-1g946_2fgmv_.html
I love you, will you marry me now

This version just shows how messy the Diane version overall was. It didn't even look like there WAS a concept, just another dance video with short cuts and randomass effects. Sigh...
LOL! It is horrible!

But there was a concept, kind of. It was supposed to be inspired by some blonde supermodel from the 1960's (or 70's) that's why they had the catsuit and the blonde wig. I'll try to find out who it was again...

#1997 post_url

Dec 26 12 2:11 PM

Holy hell that was pretty awful. I think the whole dance concept would have worked and the cut out with her standing with her hair standing but all the rest was just too extra.
(She looked hot w/ the DARA hair do)

#1998 post_url

Dec 26 12 2:17 PM

It was supposed to be inspired by some blonde supermodel from the 1960's (or 70's) that's why they had the catsuit and the blonde wig. I'll try to find out who it was again...

Raffaella Carrà!

Last Edited By: 2D Dec 26 12 2:45 PM. Edited 1 time.

#1999 post_url

Dec 26 12 6:28 PM

2D wrote:
It was supposed to be inspired by some blonde supermodel from the 1960's (or 70's) that's why they had the catsuit and the blonde wig. I'll try to find out who it was again...

Raffaella Carrà!

Close enough

#2000 post_url

Dec 28 12 2:34 AM

Looking at that hairflip, I can see the resemblance

Remove this ad

Quick Reply

bbcode help