Remove this ad

#1781 post_url

Mar 11 17 9:15 AM

The thing is: the PVs are boring, if you do a promotional video it needs to have replay-value, and it doesn't.

Just because it has a "good direction" as you're saying, doesn't means that the concert is good or even well done. SHOW ME YOUR HOLLA was a simple stripped down. and well done, music video. Even BE MY BABY ~ Megumi no Hito had a better concept than most of the PVs this era and they probably cost as much as Ultraviolet. And what's the problem of wanting more when we know she can deliver? That's better than sugar-coat her saying that because the editing was, somehow, decent that it's a good produced video.

If they all had the same direction of "we're going to have all of them in black and white background where we only want to showcase her talent, nothing more" would be a better approach, because some of them stands out of this concept and gives a messy idea.

When you have an album that you don't even wanna show the making of of the videos, you know you have something that it's not well done.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1782 post_url

Mar 11 17 9:28 AM

Imo, the videos aren't bad, they are just too static and simple. they look like backdrop videos for a tour not really MVs. Anyway Bassline and Wicked Girls are my favs. Bassline has great shots and armography wicked girls is cool, colorful and has a great choreography which Kumi executes very well. Having said that, this is one of her poorest Music Videos collections from an album...WOML had such impressive videos from the masterpiece Dance In The Rain to the stunning WOML and the well choreographed Like It, Money In My Bag and Hote. WOML really has her best MVs, and it's also her best album. And the best tour. I'm such a WOML stan!

Last Edited By: Pillis Mar 11 17 10:05 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#1783 post_url

Mar 11 17 10:18 AM

^in the end it all boils down too personal taste. I don't think that that many MVs with replay-value exist and I certainly don't think that it is the main factor for a Music Video, especially for a pop artist that mostly works with beauty-shots and dance routines. Pillis obviously shows that even a boring video with terrible effects (WOML) can be exciting.

I also do think it is okay to dislike this set of PVs, but there is a certain choice in wording to convey that other than "cheap, terrible and messy".

We could get videos like this:

Quote    Reply   

#1784 post_url

Mar 11 17 11:38 AM

Bassline's video is arguably messy though. The opening shot was great, sets the tone of the video, but it stays static. The overlaying edits are jarrying since they just constantly use them, and (sorry Pillis lolol) I didn't care for her armography. The video could have been better, and it didn't need to be super flashy, since she's shown us she can do minimal. I think the other issue in this case is that all of the videos are practically the same; Ultraviolet and Wicked Girls both are the dancey videos with special effects, Insane and Bassline are both black and white static singalong videos, and even Promise you (which I'm about to watch in a bit since it wasn't up on JPS beforehand) seems to be another glitzy stand-and-sing. Kuu may have done beauty shots and dance routines before, but those aren't her only tricks. We've gotten beautiful story shots (long live the cellphone dramas), we've gotten videos with interesting cinematography, hell, even her other dance videos (like BE MY BABY / Megumi no Hito, as mentioned before) were more interesting to me due to differences in direction. And, as mentioned before, she CAN and HAS done more, so why shouldn't we at least question these decisions?

Also, bringing up a video from the 1980s to talk about videos in the 21st century is like apples and oranges. That's a different era, where that particular look and style was totally in. Of course it's gonna look cheesy now; if Kuu released a video like that then yeah you'd be hearing criticisms for it being bad

Quote    Reply   

#1785 post_url

Mar 11 17 12:13 PM

^ i choose the Video from the 80s there are still Videos like that being made, especially in Europe but also in K- and J-Pop.

I get the criticism on all those videos, but all I'm saying that they aren't as bad as everyone makes them to be. Maybe you are right and it is the accumulation of all of them on one DVD, but oh well. How often do you really rewatch these Videos anyways? Once a year? good video = yay, not so good video = who cares.

and btw: those cellphone-drama Videos were all terrible: I can't even remember that I watched AinoUta more than once, and even that once I wasn't full paying attention.

Quote    Reply   

#1786 post_url

Mar 11 17 12:26 PM

ThinkingOutLoud89 wrote:
and btw: those cellphone-drama Videos were all terrible: I can't even remember that I watched AinoUta more than once, and even that once I wasn't full paying attention.
I kinda miss them tbh LOLOL I don't think they're super amazing or anything, but they were a Kuu staple, and her perfect brand of cheese (take that Velveeta!). When even was the last time we had a cellphone drama video though? I was talking about it with some friends, even went so far as to take screencaps (I found four separate videos), but I can't remember when exactly they stopped...

Quote    Reply   

#1787 post_url

Mar 11 17 1:06 PM

Look at EX TAPE, it was shot in 1 house but it's so dynamic and she looks like goddess there. It was very simple, yet so pleasing to watch because it had some movement and atleast change of time and clothes.

Quote    Reply   

#1788 post_url

Mar 11 17 5:09 PM

@ThinkingOutLoud89 If you think that they spend money on a video for you to watch just once, you're not understanding what a Promotion Video is for. Having replay-value is one of the most important things for a PV which go on TV, Internet and many other medias. A good PV is what gives some music life and makes it more interesting. And it also can happen the other way around.

And well, Locomotion, a video from the 80s, has more to offer than any of the videos from W FACE's era, so what's your point? For its time it had a good use of chroma key and clearly someone put some thought about the concept. It's campy and over the top, as pretty much everything from the 80s.

There is no problem with the videos being bad, because we know she can do better, but there is also nothing wrong in pointing out things that could be better done to make this a project more interesting.

Quote    Reply   

#1789 post_url

Mar 11 17 6:20 PM

For me the PVs for BE MY BABY and Megumi no Hito are examples of bad PVs. At least the W FACE ones look nice, even though they're not great either.

Quote    Reply   

#1790 post_url

Mar 11 17 8:08 PM

1) WOML video is stunning, the chroma key is pretty and the video has actually a great concept
2) The cell-phone drama were cringe worthy and so 2006-9, that's why Kimi Omoi is so bad
3) BE MY BABY video is cool, Megumi no Hito is not
4) I did not say W FACE videos are good, they're pretty lacking at best. I said I like some of them but they look like backdrop material for the tour but I still enjoy wicked girls and bassline.

Anyway, inside is growing on me...it's not a good album it's very generic and I think they could have used better compositions/productions, scrapped sukideshita (awful), bring it on and kimi omoi for more sophisticated ballads like on my way. Stand By You has actually a beautiful and moving melody but I think she doesn't sound good on the track and the production gets unnecessarily sweet and cute in the end but it's definitely a grower and not so granted for Kumi's standards.

Outside is extremely solid, it has some not-stellar tracks like cupcake, bangerang, ultraviolet and wicked girls but they're all enjoyable, the overall sound is cohesive and it has basically half of the songs more retro-pop and half of the songs more urban/trap/electro. It's really a good body of work but I still think it's more calculated and trendy than Bon Voyage and WOML which have sounds you don't quite hear so frequently but it's definitely one of the few Kumi albums that actually sounds like an album. I'm satisfied. 99% I'm going to visit Kyushu this september and stan for our queen of live.

Last Edited By: Pillis Mar 11 17 8:12 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1792 post_url

Mar 11 17 9:34 PM

Just watched "Bassline" PV and wow, that was embarrassing. She looks perfect, her moves are on point and it's refreshing to see her without those huge contaxt lenses for once (damn, it's been a while and I missed how beautiful her eyes look). Other than that, it's so cheap, empty and boring.

Instead of making four crappy PVs for ~outside~, she could have made only 2 and given them more budget. Simply put: Quality > Quantity, girl...

Quote    Reply   

#1793 post_url

Mar 12 17 1:11 AM

I don't get the love for insane....both the video and song are horrible...

bassline woulda been ok without that random choreo that looked real silly. bridget song is the only PV i liked, coz it was pleasant and didn't have as much bad lip syncing in it haha.

I actually enjoy whats up quite a bit, but can't shake the feeling that its super dated. maybe its one of her "unreleased" songs from 10 years ago?

Quote    Reply   

#1794 post_url

Mar 12 17 1:47 AM

chewyz wrote:
I don't get the love for insane....both the video and song are horrible...

bassline woulda been ok without that random choreo that looked real silly. bridget song is the only PV i liked, coz it was pleasant and didn't have as much bad lip syncing in it haha.

I actually enjoy whats up quite a bit, but can't shake the feeling that its super dated. maybe its one of her "unreleased" songs from 10 years ago?

Because people do, isn't that enough? You all can hate the songs and videos all you want there's is peope that is going to like it (I' guessing you all bought the songs/videos right? because why would you waste so much time and energy hatin' on something you don't even cosumed)

Quote    Reply   

#1795 post_url

Mar 12 17 3:05 AM

You all are talking about those videos... Well, Kumi wouldn't release something that she wasn't satisfied at. So, if those 6 music videos were released, is because she approved all of them and trusted her fans would enjoy. We know the importance she gives to us. To me, those videos are great the way they are. Too simple to her "usual"? Yes. Still, kinda enjoyable and fitting very well with the songs. About the album tracklist, is the same thing. Those 20 songs are the ones she supposed we fans would like the most. Of course will be people saying that doesn't like some song or that some song shouldn't be at the AL. But was her choice. Just like with the MVs, I'm satisfied with both whole albums. Doesn't matter when, there will be people saying she did not enough. But, in fact, she did and is still doing what she can, at maximum effort.

Quote    Reply   

#1796 post_url

Mar 12 17 3:45 AM

Yes chewyz, not to mention I might say the same about a half of the songs you enjoy, but what is the point?

Promise you looks beautiful and I quite enjoyed watching it for the first time, but there could have been at least 2 more different locations and outfits. I do not like most of her story ballad music videos, they are always cringe worthy (not to mention all those male actors they give to her are rather bad looking) To me it is enough when she looks pretty and acts like a godess in music videos for this kind of songs (you are so beautiful is the best example for it... even if there is just one location they made it look interesting)
I really like Ai wo tomenaide or Koishikute, perhaps my two favorite ballad music videos by her, but still I do not really watch them often.

Bassline is actually my fav W-FACE music video. It fits the mood of the song just right. She looks stunning in it. I like the way she moves, the coloring, the lights etc each close up shot is amazing to me.

BRIDGET SONG PV really works well for the song. I can not really picture anything else for it. Maybe she could move around her house and cook just like in the music video for IN THE AIR hehe I do not even watch that one these days. They are just good for the first time.

and Wicked Girls is something she could have done in the past where she was more popular. Good dance PV with some silly background effects. I actually do enjoy it.

I would have been very pleased with this kind of music videos if the rest two were very good quality ones. They are not bad by any means, we just got too many simple ones at once which feels kind of disappointing considering the fact it has been two years and she could do MUCH better in the past even when she was not as popular anymore (with Japonesque we got plenty of good quality album track music videos)

The rest music videos are indeed pretty bad (insane looks like a tour background video and Ultraviolet could have been MUCH better with a different hairstyle and without those weird effects)

As for the music I am VERY pleased even though it is not perfect. It never will be because we are talking about Koda Kumi. She can always go a bit over the top. Outside has only one skippable song for me and it is "Heartless" (she does not sound good in it during the chorus parts) I can say it is close to being perfect. Pretty unusual for her album... not to mention I finally love the tracklist order! The first two songs are club bangers, then we have insane which is a bit different, but fits very well right after Ultraviolet (they both have this kind of crazy and right in your face way of singing) like no other track from Outside... with Damn real we slow down a bit so placing Heartless right after it was a good move, too. The next 4 songs are retro/jazz/show time kind of songs. Cupcake is a different sound again, but I think making it the last track was the best option, too.

As for "Inside" it is a Japanese produced album done right. Sure, I wish Stand by you was more in the style of Himitsu or No Way, there are just too many Japanese pop classic ballads, but oh well... I also think Bring It On sounds pretty bad, the live version is much better (is it just me or it seems the song has a different instrumental... and the verses seem to be changed)
The rest songs are very good (Promise you is my favorite song from "Inside")

It is hard to please everyone, due to how her music has been always diverse she often gathers lots of different listeners, with different tastes. There are people who dislike what I like, but at the same time they absolutely love what I skip... and that is perfectly fine with me.

Last Edited By: Ai no Kage Mar 12 17 5:26 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#1797 post_url

Mar 12 17 5:06 AM

To me is as easy like this: They are BG videos for her concert period.

Yeah Maybe she shouldn't have released them, and I agree they are not the best thing she's put out (taking in consideration WOML) But like I said to someone else, if you don't like them DON'T BUY THE DAMN DVD or BR nobody is making you buy them. This way it will show them that the video didn't meet the standards.

I care that her music meets MY standards and if she does then I'm happy. I won't buy something I don't like just because it's hers.

Quote    Reply   

#1799 post_url

Mar 12 17 6:16 AM

So I just watched the PVs and they are perfectly fine. The only issue is that they all are 1 scene / 1 outfit, which is pretty blatant when you watch 6 videos in a row. Kumi is still on of the most gorgeous women to me.

Quote    Reply   

#1800 post_url

Mar 12 17 11:21 AM

sora2522 wrote:
ThinkingOutLoud89 wrote:
I kinda miss them tbh LOLOL I don't think they're super amazing or anything, but they were a Kuu staple, and her perfect brand of cheese (take that Velveeta!). When even was the last time we had a cellphone drama video though? I was talking about it with some friends, even went so far as to take screencaps (I found four separate videos), but I can't remember when exactly they stopped...

It was Kimi Omoi and it was GORGEOUS through the whole thing, I could feel she was really into the story (Unlike some other ballad videos like stay with me and Sukidesukidesukide, for example). Not to mention her fashion was so good! Kimi Omoi video surely puts the other WFace videos to shame.

And in my case it's also a good example of how much you might get to love a song because of the promotional video

Last Edited By: maze Mar 12 17 11:25 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help