Remove this ad

#1581 post_url

Apr 26 16 11:22 PM

Waiting for You has a CM tie-in. The info is on her Twitter page. All the songs on the EP are being used for promotions, that's great. smiley: happy

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1582 post_url

Apr 27 16 12:32 AM

Feelgoodmusic wrote:
Yeah, like you guys said, good promo for her. Even if the song isn't good, she's right to do featurings. My dream is to see her featured in one of Toshi Kubota's songs, even as a remix thing or live performance... I can keep dreaming lol but who knows.
That would be sweet.  Be even better if he penned a song for her.

Quote    Reply   

#1583 post_url

Apr 28 16 6:02 AM

Beruda wrote:
Feelgoodmusic wrote:
Yeah, like you guys said, good promo for her. Even if the song isn't good, she's right to do featurings. My dream is to see her featured in one of Toshi Kubota's songs, even as a remix thing or live performance... I can keep dreaming lol but who knows.
That's my dream too.

PHANTOMgirl wrote:
Feelgoodmusic wrote:
That would be sweet.  Be even better if he penned a song for her.

Cool, it's not just me then Yeah, I agree Phantomgirl, he's good at composing and writing songs.

Quote    Reply   

#1584 post_url

May 3 16 8:35 AM

I saw her today in Sunshine City Ikebukuro by accident. She had a concert there later and was practicing. Was pretty cool. She sounds very good live.

Quote    Reply   

#1589 post_url

Aug 5 16 4:23 AM

So Lovin' You is her new single, it's out digitally on 12.08 and physically on 14.09. The preview is giving me her R'n'B era teas.

Quote    Reply   

#1590 post_url

Aug 6 16 6:36 PM

Oh, it comes out next week then, cool !

Here's a better preview from Universalmusic:

It does sound better now. R&B feels too.By the way... is she wearing a wig? It doesn't look that bad, I'd like to see her again with dark hair.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#1592 post_url

Aug 7 16 5:25 PM

You guys are so nice to CK. I personally find that her music has been quite average since the switch and the numerous tie-ins. Good for her, yeah but not interesting enough to keep me asking for more.

Quote    Reply   

#1593 post_url

Aug 8 16 10:03 AM

I used to be harsher on her though... the reason why I calmed down is that this change was to be expected after so many years. And she's not the only one in the industry like that. You have to pop-ify and tone your music down to sell. Unless you're a rock artist, I guess or someone already famous who produce their own music and stay the same after decades. Sometimes I wonder if the color of her skin (and her western-ness) makes it harder to market her (not just LDH but her previous labels too)... hence the need to "tone it down" and make her more Jpop-friendly.... but I'm probably wrong.

Quote    Reply   

#1594 post_url

Aug 8 16 2:14 PM

Nah, you're absolutely right. It's always been an obstacle in her career. I like to think that the market is much more open than it was years ago which is why she's doing better than the slump she went through several years ago. It's good for her career-wise but a bit boring for me music-wise. The only important thing is that she builds a strong following which will remain to the day where she won't be getting as many tie-ins anymore because like you said, there are many other who do the same thing; anyone could sing drama songs.

Quote    Reply   

NATE

JPC Admin

#1595 post_url

Aug 8 16 3:16 PM

DeepFried wrote:
Nah, you're absolutely right. It's always been an obstacle in her career. I like to think that the market is much more open than it was years ago which is why she's doing better than the slump she went through several years ago. It's good for her career-wise but a bit boring for me music-wise. The only important thing is that she builds a strong following which will remain to the day where she won't be getting as many tie-ins anymore because like you said, there are many other who do the same thing; anyone could sing drama songs.

But she was very successful before the slump, much more so than she is now. I doubt Japan just decided to discriminate against her all of the sudden when she was scoring Top 10 singles and hit albums for half a decade.

We have been through this before when VIVID flopped. CK has enjoyed a long career not just as a Black artist in Asia but as a J-pop singer in general. She was popular, then she wasn't, now she's trying to build herself back up. It's natural for someone's careers to have ups and downs. I'm sure Crystal has faced some obstacles due to her mixed background. There are probably things that she'll never be asked to do because she doesn't look traditionally Asian (like a make-up commercial), but she has prospered in her career despite that. She's done good. Her fans just need to accept that she is just not that popular right now and it may not have anything to do with her background. She just needs to find something that works for her and the public. And really that's every artist.

Quote    Reply   

#1596 post_url

Aug 8 16 3:53 PM

Yeah, my mistake for being unclear. I didn't want to say she was suddenly "hated/forgotten" for her background and her popularity was declining for a while before the release of VIVID. I just meant like you said, due to her mixed background, there are things she cannot do.

Just wanted to make my intentions clear, heh. I used strong affirmatives in the previous post which wasn't really what I meant. Anyways, I was checking her physical sales which were alright, but does anyone know if she's been doing well digitally?

Quote    Reply   

#1598 post_url

Aug 12 16 8:42 PM

But why do her fans need to accept that it may not have anything to do with her ethnic background? I think it is a valid point, and could very well be a factor in the state of her overall popularity. You in fact just stated that she could have been denied certain opportunities because of it. It's not so far fetched to believe that a predominately homogenous society would be a little bit xenophobic, crystal herself has even alluded to this. Despite being born and raised in Japan and speaking the language fluently she is still preceived to be foreign. I doubt that she would openly share any discriminatory experiences in relation to her career. When she parted ways with her old record label, she chose her words carefully when discussing her reasons for leaving.  The Japanese music market is ruthless and the potential to be blacklisted is real. I guess all we can do is speculate because we don't know what sorts of obstacles she's had to face. I do agree with you that there are definitly more factors at play than just her race, but I don't think it's fair to ask fans to completely write it off particularly when I come across stories like this: 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BsHBlLvvlgo

Quote    Reply   

NATE

JPC Admin

#1599 post_url

Aug 13 16 4:28 AM

I didn't ask anyone to write anything off. I said her fans need to accept that she is just not that popular right now and that it might not have to do with her race. It's two thoughts in one sentence. And I emphasis MIGHT. That means that I too think there's still a possibility that there is substance there, but it's not everything. One thing is clear, Kuri is not where she used to be. She lost a good chunk of her audience a long time ago for whatever reason and she'll need time to build it back up. She was smart to sign with LDH. They have been working hard promoting her and they have experience managing artists like her, both sound-wise and ethnicity/race-wisel.

Quote    Reply   

#1600 post_url

Aug 15 16 4:34 AM

NATE wrote:
race-wisel.

Just a small mistake, yet so funny.

Kuri looks amazing in the Lovin' You PV. I have always found her really pretty but here she's just gorgeous.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help