Remove this ad

#2441 post_url

Apr 5 15 10:44 PM

^The lyrics make so much more sense now thinking about the song in that context, especially the "atashi wo kaeshite..." line.

And about the Timmy stuff.. I'm not surprised. He's always seemed pretty shallow. I remember one time he tweeted something like "hello all the people on grindr in Yoyogi!" and I was thinking, wtf are you doing. I don't doubt ayu's got her reason for keeping him around (she could easily just replace him with Miccie), but it is interesting that he's not composed for her since Party Queen.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#2442 post_url

Apr 5 15 11:17 PM

I haven't listened to the album yet, but am excited to do so based of what people seem to be saying.

Re Timmy - I've got a kinda-sorta theory about him.

Ayu started working with him likely 2010 onwards. I think that's him near the start of the Microphone PV, and he obvs worked with her from 2011 onwards with BRILLIANTE and then being a full fledged back up singer. If you consider what Ayu was doing here, she was embracing a more fun-loving and eccentric side to herself.

Just look at Lady Dynamite PV - likely her biggest gay anthem and probably one of her most fun PVs. If you consider the tone of a lot of songs of Rock n Roll Circus too - Sexy Little Things, Lady Dynamite, Microphone jump out especially - they are becoming either more quirky and more bold. Her image itself changed - especially in the persona she had publically. Whereas previously she'd just been 'Ayu' who, yes, did put on grand shows and stuff, she was now tryna really become some sort of Diva. Her style around this time and even beyond is super reminiscent of Western artists ala Madonna and Lady Gaga, I could sooo see Madonna releasing Party Queen (the song) at some point to resurrect her career in the early part of this decade. To me atleast, she now tried to cement her image (afterall bitch had now hit 30 - she can't keep relying on her old style) on these big western Divas and I think Timmy (being a lot more bold and brash than any nihinjin person) was a way to do this.

If you hang around with loud extravagant queens, even the shiest introvert will open up. Her thinking of herself as a Goddess in BRILLIANTE's PV to her being a trashy Party Queen in NaNaNa and Shake It, using more flamboyant, wild and extravagent styling when live (i mean look at Timmy live. Actually... maybe don't.... for the sake of your vision) and even performing differently (idk but before I used to think that you were actually participating in Ayu's concert as she is constantly beaming and inviting you to dance along.... now for the most part you just feel like a spectator watching her perform (aside from ofcourse the customary MY ALLs and SURREAL/evolution/Boys and Girls)) kinda seems to me like she's trying to become a bigger personality and become an everlasting Diva (given that I think she herself could see after Secret that her popularity was declining).

Or.... maybe I'm just crazy and this is utter tripe. Highly likely given that is 4AM here. Equally, Timmy might just be hiding the more undesirable parts of his personality from Ayu. Even if she read a tweet about Grindr, does bitch even know what it is?

As to why Timmy's never composed past Party Queen, it's obvs. Ayu is just over cautious. One thing doesn't go her way, she instantly reverts back to before. GUILTY came in at #2.... bitch ran 100 country miles away from rock to tender arms of Electro Dance in NEXT LEVEL. Even when she called her album 'Rock n Roll Circus', she only put one actual "rock" song in (Microphone... though perhaps countdown sorta counts (see what I did!)). Party Queen's #2 ranking means Timmy was of the composing rooster as clearly Japan wasn't here for him (which tbh is a shame coz aside from Eyes, Smoke, Magic he's actually a damn good composer).

Colours flopped epicly, so Ayu rehashed the popular bits of her discography with A ONE and left her experimental side at an orphanage without looking back once. In Last Minute, the black bit being expelled out of Ayu is her experimental side, which has had its 'Last Minute' and is now history.

Well....maybe I should actually listen to the album before critiquing it further.

Last Edited By: coolawits Apr 5 15 11:22 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ayukuuangel

Posts: 1,738 Team Ayu Kuuter

#2443 post_url

Apr 6 15 4:20 AM

coolawits wrote:
I haven't listened to the album yet, but am excited to do so based of what people seem to be saying.

Re Timmy - I've got a kinda-sorta theory about him.

Ayu started working with him likely 2010 onwards. I think that's him near the start of the Microphone PV, and he obvs worked with her from 2011 onwards with BRILLIANTE and then being a full fledged back up singer. If you consider what Ayu was doing here, she was embracing a more fun-loving and eccentric side to herself.

Just look at Lady Dynamite PV - likely her biggest gay anthem and probably one of her most fun PVs. If you consider the tone of a lot of songs of Rock n Roll Circus too - Sexy Little Things, Lady Dynamite, Microphone jump out especially - they are becoming either more quirky and more bold. Her image itself changed - especially in the persona she had publically. Whereas previously she'd just been 'Ayu' who, yes, did put on grand shows and stuff, she was now tryna really become some sort of Diva. Her style around this time and even beyond is super reminiscent of Western artists ala Madonna and Lady Gaga, I could sooo see Madonna releasing Party Queen (the song) at some point to resurrect her career in the early part of this decade. To me atleast, she now tried to cement her image (afterall bitch had now hit 30 - she can't keep relying on her old style) on these big western Divas and I think Timmy (being a lot more bold and brash than any nihinjin person) was a way to do this.

If you hang around with loud extravagant queens, even the shiest introvert will open up. Her thinking of herself as a Goddess in BRILLIANTE's PV to her being a trashy Party Queen in NaNaNa and Shake It, using more flamboyant, wild and extravagent styling when live (i mean look at Timmy live. Actually... maybe don't.... for the sake of your vision) and even performing differently (idk but before I used to think that you were actually participating in Ayu's concert as she is constantly beaming and inviting you to dance along.... now for the most part you just feel like a spectator watching her perform (aside from ofcourse the customary MY ALLs and SURREAL/evolution/Boys and Girls)) kinda seems to me like she's trying to become a bigger personality and become an everlasting Diva (given that I think she herself could see after Secret that her popularity was declining).

Or.... maybe I'm just crazy and this is utter tripe. Highly likely given that is 4AM here. Equally, Timmy might just be hiding the more undesirable parts of his personality from Ayu. Even if she read a tweet about Grindr, does bitch even know what it is?

As to why Timmy's never composed past Party Queen, it's obvs. Ayu is just over cautious. One thing doesn't go her way, she instantly reverts back to before. GUILTY came in at #2.... bitch ran 100 country miles away from rock to tender arms of Electro Dance in NEXT LEVEL. Even when she called her album 'Rock n Roll Circus', she only put one actual "rock" song in (Microphone... though perhaps countdown sorta counts (see what I did!)). Party Queen's #2 ranking means Timmy was of the composing rooster as clearly Japan wasn't here for him (which tbh is a shame coz aside from Eyes, Smoke, Magic he's actually a damn good composer).

Colours flopped epicly, so Ayu rehashed the popular bits of her discography with A ONE and left her experimental side at an orphanage without looking back once. In Last Minute, the black bit being expelled out of Ayu is her experimental side, which has had its 'Last Minute' and is now history.

 Well....maybe I should actually listen to the album before critiquing it further.

I think that you take too much seriously things lol.

Party Queen was #2 because of the date they released it. There were many weeks on that year it could get #1 but they stopped releasing ayu's albums in safe dates since GUILTY.

Timmy also composed for FIVE, I just think that ayu doesn't find the need for him to compose for her, and it's just natural. There doesn't have to be a special behind the scenes reason. He also did that song for A BEST LIVE TOUR 2013 iirc.

About Colours, it didn't flop and not epicly, any album she would release would probably do the same and have a decrease in sales from LOVE again, even with 10 cute jpop songs and 10 ballads (unless if it was a BEST so maybe it would sell more).

The whole A ONE thing might be that it's the last time she is going to do an ayu style album (old ayu style album), at least in that way.
She still might do a few songs here and there that is "her style" but it seems so wants to move forward.

Last Edited By: ayukuuangel Apr 6 15 4:22 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2445 post_url

Apr 6 15 7:09 AM

BANZAI wrote:
^ I think I remember you talking about this before. Yeah, that is pretty sketchy. I think a lot of people figured out what type of person he is though, like when he made his own account here on this forum and when he went off on Twitter when people were complaining about Party Queen.


Yeah, that's possible. But in the past I was a bit emotional about the subject and said some mean inappropriate things. So I try to keep it more "factual" now and let people make up their own minds. =)

I'm glad though to see you all here also think that such racist behavior is gross. Like what you wrote, otenkiame.

Wait Timmy actually registered on this forum to discuss Party queen? Are you guys serious?? How do you know it was him? Haha.
JEWELian wrote:
^The lyrics make so much more sense now thinking about the song in that context, especially the "atashi wo kaeshite..." line.

And about the Timmy stuff.. I'm not surprised. He's always seemed pretty shallow. I remember one time he tweeted something like "hello all the people on grindr in Yoyogi!" and I was thinking, wtf are you doing. I don't doubt ayu's got her reason for keeping him around (she could easily just replace him with Miccie), but it is interesting that he's not composed for her since Party Queen.

He tweeted that? Not surprised...just even more grossed out. /sigh

I seriously wonder why she keeps him around. What reason could she have? He only composed for Party Queen/FIVE and was basically a gimmick. Why not replace him with Miccie?

Anyway to go back on topic again...

Can I ask you guys a question? I want to order A ONE (omg first album I'll be buying since Love songs lol),
but all versions I see are without Movin' on without you (HMV, YesAsia...).
I thought track 12 was supposed to be MOWY? How do I know which version will have it? :S

Last Edited By: luciasilvermoon Apr 6 15 7:19 AM. Edited 4 times.

Quote    Reply   

#2446 post_url

Apr 6 15 9:45 AM

The addition of "Movin' on without you" really seems like a last minute decision so most websites don't have it updated (not even the official one last time I checked). But the song is mentioned on the sticker so it's safe to assume they will all contain the cover. Example:

Quote    Reply   

#2447 post_url

Apr 6 15 11:02 AM

DeepFried wrote:
The addition of "Movin' on without you" really seems like a last minute decision so most websites don't have it updated (not even the official one last time I checked). But the song is mentioned on the sticker so it's safe to assume they will all contain the cover. Example:



UGH. That's pretty much the only thing I disliked about A ONE, the track itself is great but I had already grown fond of the idea of Walk as the final track. Including the song as a hidden track it would've been a little bit better in my opinion. Anyway, I already removed it from my iTunes lol

Quote    Reply   

#2448 post_url

Apr 6 15 5:48 PM

Ayumi's discography post-GUILTY:

2008
- GUILTY: Mainly a rock album, first #2.

2009
- NEXT LEVEL: Decided to move away from rock and got back to electronic-ish pop (see LOVEppears) which was something she hasn't tried for YEARS.

2010
- Rock 'n' Roll Circus: Tries to move slowly back to rock but more catious, plenty of pop tracks. The album features some experiments while the singles are very safe-zone-pop-ayu.
- Love songs: Starts working with TK, I feel like her music arragements starts to decline since this album into something more cheap and less boldy.

2011
- FIVE: A more classic ayu mini-album.

2012
- Party Queen: Ayu exploring new sounds, full of experiments.

2013:
- LOVE again: After experimenting and not getting so many sales she goes back to basic-sounding-ayu. Pop tracks that try to emulate her old classic sound with not-so-good results.

2014:
- Colours: Ayu experimenting again, this time with a more american sound and with EDM songs. Some classic ayu tracks here too.

2015:
- A ONE: Ayu going back to "square ONE". All her songs are sort of like a tribute to past tracks during her whole career, she's not trying to emulate her old music, it's more like she's doing a tribute of certain tracks.


Maybe we can expect a big change in Ayu career next.

Quote    Reply   

#2449 post_url

Apr 6 15 10:46 PM

^ Uh I have no idea what you're talking about. She's basically been putting out the same album with minor variations from My Story to Love Songs. Party Queen and Colours were a bit more 'experimental' I'll give you that, but for the most part she still insists on including soppy ballads (some more enjoyable than others) regardless of whether or not they fit in - meaning of love, Hello new me, or that one 'epic' mid tempo type like Pray or Progress or song 4 U. It's all standard operating procedure.

Quote    Reply   

#2450 post_url

Apr 6 15 11:03 PM

luciasilvermoon wrote:
BANZAI wrote:
^ I think I remember you talking about this before. Yeah, that is pretty sketchy. I think a lot of people figured out what type of person he is though, like when he made his own account here on this forum and when he went off on Twitter when people were complaining about Party Queen.


Yeah, that's possible. But in the past I was a bit emotional about the subject and said some mean inappropriate things. So I try to keep it more "factual" now and let people make up their own minds. =)

I'm glad though to see you all here also think that such racist behavior is gross. Like what you wrote, otenkiame.

Wait Timmy actually registered on this forum to discuss Party queen? Are you guys serious?? How do you know it was him? Haha.
JEWELian wrote:
^The lyrics make so much more sense now thinking about the song in that context, especially the "atashi wo kaeshite..." line.

And about the Timmy stuff.. I'm not surprised. He's always seemed pretty shallow. I remember one time he tweeted something like "hello all the people on grindr in Yoyogi!" and I was thinking, wtf are you doing. I don't doubt ayu's got her reason for keeping him around (she could easily just replace him with Miccie), but it is interesting that he's not composed for her since Party Queen.

He tweeted that? Not surprised...just even more grossed out. /sigh

I seriously wonder why she keeps him around. What reason could she have? He only composed for Party Queen/FIVE and was basically a gimmick. Why not replace him with Miccie?
Because clearly they're friends?  I thought that was fairly obvious.  Her reason for keeping him around was because she likes him and they're friends.  It has nothing to do with anything else.  He's like her pet gay.  And Ayu is notorious for surrounding herself with her friends in her career.  Which is part of her problem imo, all her friends just act like yes men and let her do whatever she wants with zero oversight or quality control.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#2451 post_url

Apr 7 15 5:10 AM

Overall the album is quite a snoozefest imo! Too safe indeed. The first half isn't that bad, but the second is just too much for me. So many generic mid-tempo/ballads in a row. I CAN'T.

I pick "NO FUTURE" (so anime-ish, I like that) and "Last minute" as my favorite tracks. The rest is just forgettable.

Quote    Reply   

#2452 post_url

Apr 7 15 5:42 AM

Hi, I'm doing this prject where I do playlist of ayus albums with laying the eye on having a more conceptual approach. My personal rules are that the albums has to convey the feeling of the album title/artwork and that every song of hers has to be used. I'm struggeling with her first few albums, so I wanted to ask which songs you would associate with those.

Here are examples (not finished yet)

Quote    Reply   

#2453 post_url

Apr 7 15 6:09 AM

Too many replies so not quoting. ^^;

@DeepFried: Thank you for clearing that up! I guess there are no posters or other first press goodies this time? I haven't been following this release at all, did not expect I wanted to buy it lol.

@roger: Agree with most of that, especially that A ONE isn't trying to emulate older hits but rather pays homage.

@gracie: Fair enough. I just think it's time for her to move on. I had a phase where I was surrounded by bad influence "friends" as well who were basically leeches. Then I grew up and realized what they were and moved on.

@xprocessed: Is your name from X-Static Process? I respectfully disagree that Hello new me is cliché. It's a very optimistic, down-to-earth ballad, something she has almost never done that way. But I agree the other ones you named are pretty much the same.

@ThinkingOutLoud89: Love Ed Sheeran. <3 Assuming that's why it's your profile name. I would remove my name's WOMEN and 1 LOVE from Memorial address because those 2 songs are about female empowerment which is completely irrelevant to the album's theme. Put those 2 with Sexy little things (also about female empowerment) on Rock'n'Roll Circus next to Lady Dynamite maybe. Or put all 4 on Party Queen and remove Rollin', WARNING and Jump! But you're kinda destroying Party Queen's message by removing all the sad songs. Party Queen isn't about partying, it's about the aftermath of alcoholism and drug abuse.
What do you think?

Also did you put BLUE BIRD, GREEN and RED Line on Colours just because of the title? Hehe.

Your FIVE seems very cohesive although I'm not sure what the album's message is according to that.

Quote    Reply   

#2454 post_url

Apr 7 15 6:46 AM

^well i don't want to convey the lyrical message, but only and choesiveness in sound (for the actual menaing i don't have to change the tracklists.) like if you don't know japanese and you go to a store and expect this certain sound when you see the title/cover

and urgh I waited for that to happen...my profile name dervies from BONNIE PINKs album, one of my favourite albums. I was so mad when Ed sheeren put out the song and every little girl started to use the name

Quote    Reply   

#2455 post_url

Apr 7 15 7:58 AM

Haha, sorry! I'm not an Ed Sheeran fangirl. I actually basically never listen to male singers, but I love how normal looking and down to earth he is. And also he has a lot of songs about drug/alcohol abuse which hits home with me.

About your track list, I see, cohesiveness in sound... Suggestions:

- Remove 1 LOVE from Memorial address. It's far more polished and pop than the other songs. Replace with something more raw like GUILTY or decision.

- Remove AUDIENCE from (m)u.

- NEXT LEVEL, I'm really not sure what you're going for. One quarter is dark EDM, one quarter is dark rock, one quarter is 90s J-Pop and one quarter is upbeat EDM. I'm guessing you were composing an EDM album? I'd remove the 90s J-Pop and rock songs because they're really out of place. Add rollin' to Terminal/WHATEVER/Last Angel?

- Party Queen: replace WARNING and rollin' with something like Sexy little things or 1 LOVE.

- Colours = upbeat, happy tracks and Japanese sound? Pretty perfect track list. I'd personally remove Trust and add Part of me or Secret, but otherwise really perfect.

Otherwise great job!

Edit: OH! Remove Trust from Colours and add Zutto... next to Will?

Also it'd be so cool if you could do an album that is real pop/rock! We have so many tracks for that now:

decision, Letter, call, Out of control, reminds me, It was, (miss)understood, Life, etc.

(no dark rock like Because of You, just these mid-tempo rock songs lol)

Last Edited By: luciasilvermoon Apr 7 15 8:04 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#2456 post_url

Apr 7 15 8:38 AM

^I didn't meant to address you with the fangirls....just ever since the song came out the name is taken everywhere lol

thx for your suggestions, I move the songs around a bit. Its pretty hard. I still have a pile of songs that fit nowhere and LOVEagain and LOVE SONGS may end up being sameish.
I had SLT on Party Queen up until this morning but decided to do a circus-ish section on RnRC and added it to the next love and eyes, smoke , magic. still unsrue.

Quote    Reply   

#2457 post_url

Apr 7 15 12:21 PM

ThinkingOutLoud89 wrote:
and urgh I waited for that to happen...my profile name dervies from BONNIE PINKs album, one of my favourite albums. I was so mad when Ed sheeren put out the song and every little girl started to use the name frown.gif

it's ok. i've always known (hoped?) it was for Bonnie Pink.
its been 3 years since her last release...and the last track on that was called 'Change'. I'm hoping she'll come back reinvigorated, then we can discuss her in her own active thread, instead of in passing on the coattails of another topic.
Frown


Anyway! Your tracklist project looks interesting. Are you not touching her older material at all though?

Quote    Reply   
avatar

ayukuuangel

Posts: 1,738 Team Ayu Kuuter

#2458 post_url

Apr 7 15 12:41 PM

ayu has 4 additional dates for the tour! (2 on June and 2 on July) so it's 22 dates overall.. Seems like ticket sales went really well.

Quote    Reply   

#2459 post_url

Apr 8 15 4:59 AM

So the album is definitely a return to form for Ayu, it's certainly safer than Colours though. I find it funny that people say that Komuro Tetsuya should stop composing music because of Anything for You while they praise NO FUTURE, Out of control and The Show Must Go On which are his songs as well. I think the only tracks I won't be listening to again are Story and The GIFT.

Quote    Reply   

#2460 post_url

Apr 8 15 8:03 AM

Is not Out of control produced by Tetsuya Yukumi, the same guy who did Story and Last Minute? I can hear the same composition in Story (the last chorus is sung a bit higher) and the same explosive chorus in Last Minute... I love his works in particular.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help