- AFRICAEMO
- a flood of circle
- avengers in sci-fi
- PLASTIC GIRL IN CLOSET
- MASS OF THE FERMENTING DREGS
- SUPER BUTTER DOG
- ASPARAGUS
- Monica Uranglass

Aside from from the bolded, BUMP OF CHICKEN still comes off as more engrishy.

Mass of the fermenting dregs seems too complicated for just plain old engrish.
but those i've left from that list are definitely ones that will be far more painful/delightful if we could hear them spoken by a native Japanese speaker.

Irodori wrote:Namie Amuro - Body Feels EXIT

this title is so weird. is it about pooping? because thats the only thing i can fathom from this.

speaking of  Namie, I find a lot of her titles weird:
Me love peace!!
B w/z you
shine more
WoWa

Aside from the ones that are bizzare or a bit engrishy, she has this whole other slew of titles that just seem odd to me. They tend to be in all caps, and have some similar feeling to them that just says "You see these words? You will be hearing them during this song. A lot."
WANT ME, WANT ME
the SPEED STAR
CAN'T SLEEP, CAN'T EAT, I'M SICK
Do Me More
COPY THAT
Dr.
YEAH-OH
GO ROUND

I'm trying to understand Namie and her fans and fandom. Honestly, not facetiously. There's just something I don't get in regards to her.

About "Body Feels Exit", I think it's about giving in to your personal desires or ambitions, or at least finding some clarity and breaking free from something you're not happy with. Namie alludes to a dark phase or path that's either in the past or (possibly?) getting there, and feeling all these conflictive emotions that she'd like to express somehow. So... to put it shortly, I think it may be about overcoming trouble or at least confusion, like when people say "I want out", because deep down they're now satisfied, and there's something pulling from inside. She never specifies what's bothering her, but the way it's worded, I think it's about identity. What do I know, though? I'm not even sure the translations I've read are accurate.

Anyway, I don't understand what's so confusing about Namie. Indeed her usage of engrish is often silly, random or downright stupid, but it's also not original. Everybody does that.
Ah, thats an interesting interpretation. I'll have to find a lyrics translation, but I'm really not familiar with the song at all.

And, its not the engrish, the titles (which are really just more particular in some sense) or anything like that, its her music, her image her persona: its HER that I don't understand yet. There's something about HER that just hasn't clicked with me yet. She's very intriguing somehow...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#43 post_url

Aug 8 13 9:15 PM

speaking of Namie, what the heck is a best fiction?

globe has some engrishy titles
Feel Like dance
Joy to the love
Wanderin' Destiny
creamy day
Throwin' down in the double 0
THE MAIN LORD
soft parade
try this shoot
genesis of next
What's the justice?
Lights brought the future
Asian Night
goodBye NOW

Lights brought the future is particularly interesting because "brought" is a past tense verb but the future hasn't happened yet, so how can it be in the past?

Last Edited By: uncle Jemima Aug 8 13 9:49 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#44 post_url

Aug 9 13 9:14 AM

uncle Jemima wrote:
Lights brought the future is particularly interesting because "brought" is a past tense verb but the future hasn't happened yet, so how can it be in the past?
That just gave me a headache.

Love Sweet Candy isn't all that outrageous a title (like creamy day Cfe360fd6c85b4ff44bd8c20945cc1911023de3c_r), but the fact that it's sung by Leah Dizon, who obviously has a clear grasp of the English language, makes it a bit funny and awkward. You'd think she would have said that dropping the "Love" would make the song more coherent.

Quote    Reply   

#45 post_url

Aug 9 13 10:08 AM

Talking of Leah, what about "BxKxRxxx"? To this day I still don't know how to read that.

Edit: I think Leah said you're only supposed to say "BKR" when it came out, but I'm not sure... Still odd; I think a title shouldn't need an interview to be clear. tongue.gif

Last Edited By: minwitch Aug 9 13 10:37 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#47 post_url

Aug 10 13 12:23 AM

Damn, that was a surprising train of thought! laugh.gif The song's lyrics are very vague (and yeah, sorta sexual), but in any case, I don't think Leah would reference something that risky at that point in her career (or maybe ever). She was in full-blown sugary idol mode in "Communication!!!" (the title says it all, really). I'd more easily believe she got pulled a fast one by some horny lyricist, akin to Disney's (alleged) subliminal messages.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#49 post_url

Aug 10 13 3:34 PM

minwitch wrote:
Damn, that was a surprising train of thought! laugh.gif The song's lyrics are very vague (and yeah, sorta sexual), but in any case, I don't think Leah would reference something that risky at that point in her career (or maybe ever). She was in full-blown sugary idol mode in "Communication!!!" (the title says it all, really). I'd more easily believe she got pulled a fast one by some horny lyricist, akin to Disney's (alleged) subliminal messages.
Hmmm...having 'xxx' in the song title would be another indication of the tune's innuendo I would think.

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#51 post_url

Aug 11 13 1:22 PM

PurpleS wrote:
minwitch wrote:
Hmmm...having 'xxx' in the song title would be another indication of the tune's innuendo I would think.

i don't think xxx has the same sexual meaning in Japan though, at least not as much. it also means something else, but i'll leave someone else to explain it.

Quote    Reply   

uncle Jemima

パン・ダ marinopp

#53 post_url

Aug 19 13 9:32 PM

i'm pretty sure there's a song called "Could You Be Loved?" but i don't know who it's by.

edit: apparently it's a Bob Marley song sooo never mind.

more Engrishy titles:

SPEED - ALL MY TRUE LOVE
Arisa Mizuki - TOO SHY SHY BOY!
Arisa Mizuki - happy wake up!
a lot of artists: Dear My ____ (friend, love, lovers, etc.)

Last Edited By: uncle Jemima Aug 24 13 11:00 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help