Remove this ad

#562 post_url

Jun 21 13 12:13 PM

Utada needs to do EXODUS part 2, this album is amazing... its spiritual, sensual and artistic.

Everyone get a nice set of headphones and listen the album from start to finish, because the production is flawless. I don't understand people who hate this album. It has a lot of house and electronic influence that can get "confusing" for most casual pop listeners but anyone who has delved into the house and electronic genre would know this is a pretty epic pop album.

Approach the album as an alternative eletronic trance album, not a typical pop album.

Last Edited By: glimmeringneon Jun 21 13 12:31 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#564 post_url

Jun 21 13 12:41 PM

Polyrhythm wrote:
Um, eww nty. Exodus' awkward-as-fuck, shit lyrics make Nicki Minaj look like the most eloquent poet on Earth.

It's "awkward" because it doesn't fit the typical "pop" formula. The album itself is more of the alternative and electronic genre not pop.

When I re-listened to the album and the first track played, "Opening" I knew right away this is not a typical pop album, it has a more ethereal lounge and electronic feel to it.

The album release was accompanied by a set of short animations by Studio 4. Its a really artistic album.

Quote    Reply   

#565 post_url

Jun 21 13 12:51 PM

Yeah, I totally agree with you, glimmeringneon. It is a truly masterpiece!
The beats and loops are amazing, I love this album!
I didn't listen to it when it was released, becuase everyone was trashing it, but once I did I fell in love with it.
I also like the lyrics, they are creative, but doesn't necessarily have a deeper meaning to them. I remember many fans gave her a bashing for the lyrics for "Easy Breezy", but I think she just wanted to make a fun song.

I think many of her fans was expecting something like "Deep River" in English, but it is like she took on a totally different persona and went for it. I think she said something along the lines of that she needed to create something like this, to exhaust her creatitivty in another direction than she had done before.

Those short clips (flux, wasn't it?) are really nice too. I like the one for "tippy toe".

Quote    Reply   

#566 post_url

Jun 21 13 1:02 PM

denadel wrote:
Yeah, I totally agree with you, glimmeringneon. It is a truly masterpiece!
The beats and loops are amazing, I love this album!
I didn't listen to it when it was released, becuase everyone was trashing it, but once I did I fell in love with it.
I also like the lyrics, they are creative, but doesn't necessarily have a deeper meaning to them. I remember many fans gave her a bashing for the lyrics for "Easy Breezy", but I think she just wanted to make a fun song.

I think many of her fans was expecting something like "Deep River" in English, but it is like she took on a totally different persona and went for it. I think she said something along the lines of that she needed to create something like this, to exhaust her creatitivty in another direction than she had done before.

Those short clips (flux, wasn't it?) are really nice too. I like the one for "tippy toe".

EXODUS is now my favourite Hikki album. I really learned to appreciate it myself.

Hikki herself said that this album was her pushing bounderies and reflecting upon herself. This is Utada at her best, when she is delving deep into music beyond the mainstream.

The clips are Fluximation. My favourite is the one for Let Me Give Your Love.

As for my favourite song(s) its a tie between Devil Inside, Hotel Lobby, You Make Me Want To Be A Man, The Workout and Crossover Interlude.

ALSO this has to be one of her best music videos ever.

It gives me Björk vibes. I spent some time exploring Björk's style of music and its quite similar to EXODUS. Björk is genius, just misunderstood.

And look who else Björk inspired... robot madness! The theme and visuals are so similar. Its about artificial life learning to love...

Last Edited By: glimmeringneon Jun 21 13 1:07 PM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#567 post_url

Jun 22 13 3:20 AM

Hotel Lobby just came up on my shuffle last night while driving. I forget how much I love the album sometimes. Also, thanks for posting the fluximation! I remember a while back making a full AMV with Exodus '04 using the animation from each song (or trying to at least). It didn't save properly unfortunately...may try my hands at that project again later...

Quote    Reply   

#568 post_url

Jun 22 13 5:38 AM

Exodus is a good album, I personally love the majority of the songs on it, but you can't deny that it can come off as strange to a casual listener. This Is The One is much more mainstream friendly.

Quote    Reply   

#569 post_url

Jun 23 13 6:29 AM

[ALSO this has to be one of her best music videos ever. ]

^I agree!

And that comparison you made between the perfume and bjørk videos; I never thought of it that way. You're spot on!

Quote    Reply   

#570 post_url

Jun 23 13 7:15 AM

I thought Exodus was really good, but I prefer "This is the one".

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#571 post_url

Jun 23 13 1:13 PM

Exodus was the album that got Utada in my ear, so I hold it in high regards. I think if she released TITO first and Exodus now she would have had a bit more success with each album. 

Quote    Reply   

#572 post_url

Jun 23 13 10:23 PM

I've always loved Exodus. It is intricate and gorgeous and darkly mesmerizing.

This is the One, is NOT the one. There are some really good tracks on it, but overall, it gets stale halfway through and I lose interest.
Exodus is definitely the stronger and more coherent album. It just came out a few years too early for mainstream success.

Quote    Reply   

#577 post_url

Jun 25 13 4:09 AM

I love Exodus. But for every magical moment in the album or on each song, there is an equally awkward, cheesy, or just plain old weak moment.

She strains alot on this record.
I have to give it to her for pushing her boundaries as a vocalist, but sometimes it's just unbearable.
But perhaps I just notice it more in English and she is just as strained on other releases?

The songs that have really stood the test of time for me are 
Devil Inside (the atmosphere is perfect and that breakdown at the end goes so hard)
Tippy Toe
Animato
Kremlin Dusk (some questionable vocal moments, but the buildup of the song more than makes up for it)
Hotel Lobby (One of my favorites from the beginning, and I love it even more now)
And I grew to really love YMMWTBAM.

I think she does these dark, moody, brooding songs best.
The rest of the songs are still quite enjoyable, but Easy Breezy and Wonder Bout are the pits for me.

Easy Breezy is pretty boring to me, and I have to be in a very specific mood for it. (It's also strange as a single since it doesn't represent the album at all).
And Wonder Bout can be really off putting between Timbo's lazy production (he really phoned this one in, because he is capable of such amazing productions) and Hikki's voice on the recording.

I think This Is The One has much more consistent individual tracks.
But Exodus crafts an entire world and journey, which is so important for a body of work.
I also think Exodus is critical to understanding Hikki's artistry and discography.

Quote    Reply   

#578 post_url

Jun 26 13 9:16 AM

Exodus 04 should of been released not Easy Breezy.

Yeah, I wonder why her choice fell on that track as a single release (or if it was someone else's decision)?

Edit: A question about something totally different: I am looking for the version of "Passion" which has the lyrics "hitoshirezu, my heart's a battleground". Before these lyrics starts the mood of the song changes to a harder beat. Does anyone know which version that is? It's neither of the tracks on the single..?

Last Edited By: denadel Jun 26 13 9:34 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#579 post_url

Jun 26 13 4:23 PM

I think you maybe mean the English version Sanctuary (opening version)? It was released on the UK (and US I think) versions of TITO, so you should be able to find it on iTunes, Amazon etc.

mi|kshake~

Quote    Reply   

#580 post_url

Jun 26 13 4:47 PM

Well, "Sanctuary (Opening)" has "so many ups and downs" sung backwards rather than "hitoshirezu". The latter can be found only in "Passion ~opening version~" which I'm almost certain is only in Kingdom Hearts II soundtracks (original and in the complete set) and in the 10th anniversary album.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help